IW STi Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many use synthetic oil?

Which brand do you recommend?

Do you use other than the stock oil filter?

·
Registered
316 Posts
You might want to dig around a bit. There might have been a pole done on this topic. I use factory filter and mobil 1. --Sin52

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
There is. Search around. Mobil 1 Synthetic with Bosch Premium filters have been recommended, but don't go synthetic for the first 6000 miles or more.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Why 6,000 miles? A friend at work bought a mini-s this summer and his first oil change is at 10,000, included with purchase. They start the mini out with synthetic.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I asked the head of the service dept. the same question when I picked up my STI, according to him, when he went to AZ. for the STI roll-out last summer, they were told by the Subaru factory techs not to use syn. oil in the STI. Our cars are designed to use SL grade conventional motor oil. I think he(head of the service dept.) said it's because something about the all aluminum motor with syn.oil... hell I was so exited about getting the car I didn't listen to all of it. Anyhow, since I'm (was) a faithful mobil 1 supersyn 20w50 user, I've contacted Subaru of America, and they told me the same thing, which is not to use syn. oil.

·
Registered
347 Posts
search, search, search...there have been dozens of posts about this...

·
Registered
298 Posts
D.D. said:
I've contacted Subaru of America, and they told me the same thing, which is not to use syn. oil.
I was told differently. Anyway as norcal-sti said it's been discussed plenty times!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
If synthetic wasn't OK, it'd say so in the manual.

I use Mobil 1 and OEM filters.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
i use Royal Purple 5w30 I was told its the best oil out there! I hope its true im not here to hurt my baby!=)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the answers. I will continue looking, but, as with so many things car, I doubt if I will find the definitive answer.

FYI, this year is the 25th anniversary of the book, "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance." Maybe I should read it again.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I heard its too late becasue by then the seals have adjusted to the regular mineral oil, But if you were to put synthetic you will cause a few problems such as shrinking in seals which may cause leaks underneath the car, and the motors lubrication isnt used to that sort of light weight oil.....so if i were you what i did with my other car was buy the syntecblend by castrol, that is the SHIT you will love it so you will get both worlds partial synthetic and mneral oil. I hope my .02 cents work for ya!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Agent Chobos said:
I have a question: Is it ever too LATE to switch to synthetic? Like, say, after 60-70k miles?
No, it's never too late. Back in the olden days of synthetics--the 70's--there were some problems, but, since then, synthetics have been adjusted to be compatible via the addition of additives.

Synthetic blends are OK, but they're a compromise: you won't get the full benefits of full synthetic.

·
Registered
44 Posts
First change at 980 miles dino oil

Second change at 2410 miles dino oil

Third change done today at 4816 miles Mobil-1

All changes done with OEM filters.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
rattling- don't get too shaken up guys!

gee, the shop i go to swears by that purple sythetic oil and i am planning on making the switch. thay use it on their own shop car....and my dealer reccommended synth oil cause it's better for racing(which i do...at the track) is that worth two cents? i dunno but research you'll see... check nasoic

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I took the plunge today. Did my first oil change--okay, that's a white lie--I HAD my first oil change done today by Curry's Auto Service. They recommended Mobil1, so, based on your advice, I said yes. So far, so good.

Next mod, Lasik eye surgery so I can see better what's coming down the road.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Fully synthetic after 1k miles is the only way to go, especially on a turbo motor with serious hot spots that will burn dino-juice. I'm on Mobil 1 5W-30 for the winter (factory filter) and 10W-30 Mobil 1 for the summer. Check the manual, it says synthetic is just fine. After SOA saying the pistons were forged I'm not sure I trust anything technical from them...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts