IW STi Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21' STI
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening Scoobie gang. I have a 2021 STI with less than 11k miles. Recently I have noticed when I shift from 4 -> 5 gear I get a grinding noise and a tangible grinding through the shifter. Typically it only occurs above 3k RPM, but this week it is EVERY time I shift to fifth, warm or cold motor. Any thoughts on what it could be if not a synchro issue? I dont rag on it, its a daily and only has a cat back exhaust.
I dont mind taking my car for warranty repair but if its as simple as different trans fluid I would rather not give my car up for weeks waiting on it to be fixed.
Second question is, the synchro is covered under warranty but would they be worth the trouble fixing if this is a common issue?
TIA!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Fluid change might help, but in case it doesn't and Subaru magically warrants, it would be a waste of money. With such low miles and presumably being stock, I would start with the dealer. If/when they tell you it's "abuse," give something like motul 75w-90 a try.

·
Registered
2021 WRX STI
152 Posts
Recent thread on similar:
And the linked thread with past experience om similar

If you are having an isolated incident in 4th-5th, I doubt they will accuse you of abusing the car. If they do, I'd ask what the logical case is where you have abused the car and managed to conserve all the other synchros, yet damaged 4th-5th, and on such a new car?

I would say you should make sure you reproduce it with them there, or ride along while they reproduce it. But if it's consistent, I'd definitely get it fixed before you lose the warranty. Warranty was a part of the purchase and a service they sold you, use it.

·
Administrator
8,246 Posts
Warranty...it's there for a reason. 4-5th synchro seems like a very odd one to go first (usually it's 1-2). Also, they aren't incentivized to not do warranty work. The dealership has no say in that. SOA has to approve/deny this work and this is powertrain stuff. Get it fixed before something big happens.

·
Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
803 Posts
Ya 4-5 is very odd in that it really isn't a syncros you'd be banging at the limits.
1-2 or 2-3 are usually the most likely, as those are the gears you can string out and bang through on the road without getting arrested.
Warranty is a good call no doubt.
Sure if the syncros is bad you'll have to leave the car with them while they presumably replace the transmission, but you'd more than likely be handed the keys to a loaner!

·
Registered
21' STI
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My thought entirely, I would have to be triple digit driving to be slamming in and out of 5th gear.

Hopefully I could get my hands on a loaner, Im not convinced I would based on the call I had with the dealer earlier, but didnt ask specifically.

·
Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
803 Posts
My thought entirely, I would have to be triple digit driving to be slamming in and out of 5th gear.

Hopefully I could get my hands on a loaner, Im not convinced I would based on the call I had with the dealer earlier, but didnt ask specifically.
I would more or less demand one.
You purchased a brand new car and it's not performing up to the standard, and they will fix that, but it shouldn't be your problem that they need to have the car in their hands for X amount of time to do so.
They should be going out of their way to accommodate the customer who purchased one of their top of the line products only to encounter unexpected issues.

·
Registered
21' STI
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You make a good point. Im stressing about warranty, I am expecting them to say no to everything bc of my cat back.
Ive had piss poor luck on warranties in the past.

·
Administrator
8,246 Posts
A cat back can not cause an issue with the transmission therefore they can't deny you warranty work. Also, if this is SOA warranty (not aftermarket/3rd party warranty) they will have to give you a loaner if you don't wish to wait for the fix.

Again, people need to remember, the dealership has NO SAY in whether or not to warranty something. That comes from SOA. The dealership can be dicks about other stuff but that's dealership dependent. But if you show up without any other mods except a catback exhaust and they give you grief, go find a different dealership. Maybe i've been lucky but the 2 dealership I dealt with when I had my STI always complimented me on my car, even with a full turboback and stage 2 tune. I had my radiator, rear struts, and the rear diff serviced all with my TBE/stage 2 setup.

·
Registered
2021 WRX STI
152 Posts
...But if you show up without any other mods except a catback exhaust and they give you grief, go find a different dealership.
Yep. Subaru owners have a reputation for being brand loyal and Subaru isn't shy about marketing that. If the dealership gave me any grief in your shoes @Sharpies_Arent_Sharp, I'd remind them of the brand loyalty (you can probably point to a sign somewhere in the dealership) and that there are plenty of other dealerships that will happily service my current car and sell me my next one without giving me any grief over an insignificant modification.

I would also make them put their explicit reasoning for giving you grief on the receipt or in an email if it happens. Not "car is modified" but exactly what was modified that led them to not honor the agreement IE "Car has an aftermarket catback exhaust so we wouldn't service transmission under warranty".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts