IW STi Forum banner
81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
WA/A2 springs

WA/A2 springs
So are you pretty much saying you got the ride quality similar to the prodrive with more of the ride height of the RCE’s with the eibachs? I have the jdm STI option ARAI tuned adjustable dampening suspension which ride quality is fantastic but the height is a bit high imo especially in the front. My plan was to go to the RCE yellows as I thought they had nearly the same spring rate as to the jdm STI pink springs. I’m now curious if the dampening control will have that much impact on ride quality adjustment with the yellows. Living in Detroit with the worst roads in the nation I can tell you that coil overs are absolutely miserable to ride on here and the ARAIS are fucking lovely, if only their springs were a tad lower. Lower really only pleases me visually as I park and walk to and from the car but I love looking at it so much it’s worth it to change, otherwise I could care less how cool it’s stance looks while I’m driving. I’m in my 40’s driving a RHD STI bug, I already look silly

·
Registered
17 Posts
The original springs for the Arai struts were 336/280lb/in and -15mm lowered = 370mm front 350mm rear. With a full fuel tank, when the strut gas pressures were new + no sagging in the springs, top mounts and bushes, due to age.
I'd measure your 4 x wheel centre to arch distances (stating fuel level) and see what you've got?
The jdm pinks were 257/217lb/in and too low, imo, for their spring rate.
RCE yellow 295/275lb/in -20mm lowered.

·
Registered
164 Posts
The original springs for the Arai struts were 336/280lb/in and -15mm lowered = 370mm front 350mm rear. With a full fuel tank, when the strut gas pressures were new + no sagging in the springs, top mounts and bushes, due to age.
I'd measure your 4 x wheel centre to arch distances (stating fuel level) and see what you've got?
The jdm pinks were 257/217lb/in and too low, imo, for their spring rate.
RCE yellow 295/275lb/in -20mm lowered.
That’s surprising. I didn’t expect the Arai/STI tuned springs to be stiffer then the RCE’s. I’m a little disappointed, I’d like to be slightly lower but don’t want to let better springs go to waste

·
Registered
164 Posts
Stiffer isn't better on a road car:
I know, I’ve been in the game a long time. IMO the ARAI setup is comfortable even at its hardest setting is still comfortable. I got them because I’m older and I’d rather be comfortable then look cool all low in coilovers which are way to hard to stand in southeast Michigan. I was hoping however that RCE would be similar or possibility a tad stiffer for those occasional track days and just a bit lower for looks. Oh well

·
Registered
17 Posts
They are available.

It's around $90 postage (depending on exchange rate/zip) to the US.

At the moment, $260 springs (depending on exchange rate).

The matching bump stops depend on which damper you use - inverted/non-inverted. If you use agx, you won't need the rear spacers, as these springs use the '02 bugeye rear top mounts. That allows the closed coils at the top and reduces the spring movement, due to the decrease in the upper isolating material.

246lb/in front, 223lb/in rear. Linear from ride height to coil bind. Increased positive rake.

Top mounts, bushes, dampers and springs all sag/collapse over time - check your current ride heights (wheel center to arch) - you may be significantly lower than stock already.
New, stock, wrx front ride height 15 1/2"
New, stock, sti front ride height 15 1/8"
New, stock, wrx wagon front ride height 15 1/8" (front fender is 3/8" lower on the wagon).
WA/A2 front ride height 13 3/4" wagon, 14 1/8" sedan.

Rear ride height is more variable, dependent on strut gas fill pressure 14 1/2"-15" and fuel level (1/4" difference full to empty).
Koni insert (no gas) sedan 14" rear ride height.
WA/A2 rear springs are only a 1/4" lower at rear, on a wagon, than on the sedan.

I have been asked about a taller front spring version and lower rear spring version.
It would be possible to lower the rear 5/8" and increase the front by 3/4" and still maintain the rate and linearity of the springs.

·
Registered
17 Posts
OEM blob/hawk sti rear spring - 171lb/in at ride height, 195lb/in before coil bind.

WA/A3 rear springs:

224lb/in - linear from 15mm above ride height to coil bind.
20mm lower than WA/A2 rear springs
10mm lower than Prodrive S05/D5/001 rear springs

81 - 91 of 91 Posts