IW STi Forum banner
41 - 60 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Ok, both the front and rear Prodrive springs have been replaced with RCE springs.

Rear - Prodrive

Rear - RCE

Comparison

Mounted

Review - My comments still stand (see Page 2 of the thread, I had the RCE's up front and the Prodrives in the back). I didn't notice as much of a difference when mounted the rears.

Handling
-The RCE's do feel sharper than the Prodrives when I steer back and forth, at medium and higher speeds. They make the ride feel a bit more 'planted' with the road.

-Coupling the Prodrives with the PZero tires made some part of the ride a bit numb, but definitely much more comfortable for daily driving. Now, I'm getting more road feedback with RCE's and PZero's. Like when I was running the RE070's (yep, that comparison again). You can still feel the 'play' in the PZero's, of course.

-I noticed with the Prodrives, on "rolling bumps" (not sharp), sometimes they 'floated' right over them. Not in a bad way though.

-I hit some roadwork, where the road was grated, and then went back to paved. The sound and feeling was downright ROUGH with the RCE's. I don't recall such an event with my Prodrives. I also hit a recessed manhole cover with the RCE's, it was a bit harsher than what I was used to.

Greg asked me WHY I changed from the Prodrives to RCE's. Good question. I must confess I wanted the more aggressive drop that the RCE's offer. I did not want to spend 1K or more just to improve the 'look', as I don't really need coilovers, and for 1K they would be budget coilovers.

My car is a daily driver, and I do a handful of HPDE's in the summer. I do drive it fairly hard in a daily basis. I had NO ISSUES with my Prodrives. They performed great, and were very comfortable. The drop could have a been a bit better, which is why I wanted to try the RCE's. I figured if I didn't like the RCE's, I could always sell them.

I may go back to the Prodrives for winter use, the jury is still out. I bought both sets of springs from RCE, so in all fairness to the vendor, customer (and our hard-earned $$$), they still carry both (minimal difference in price now).

One other comment I will make is for those who have a front lip. The Prodrives you could get away with a front lip. The RCE's, not so much. I had a front lip with the Prodrive's installed. I don't think I'll be putting one up there with the RCE's.

Summary:

Prodrives - want a comfortable ride, smoother than stock, minimal drop. Don't care about ride height.

RCE's - want a more aggressive ride, along with a more aggressive look. Willing to sacrifice a little daily drivability for these two variables.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Damn its threads like this that make me wanna change to these RCE yellows.
I heard the new batch is going to be a little more similar to the Prodrives and will be red so this is something to keep in mind.
I agree with all the reviews about the Prodrives. They do lack that something special from a cosmetic stand-point but the thing i struggle with is sacrificing driveability for a more aggressive look that will most def transfer more shock to the cabin.
I do think there is no question which spring makes the car "look" better, just wish there was a spring that had the characterisitcs of the Prodrives and the look of the RCE's.

Thanks for the review and the pics side by side in the same location before and after.

Here is my car on Prodrives for comparison:

·
Immoderate
5,702 Posts
DragonXero13 said:
I agree! I want springs that have the look of the RCE springs; even with the 06's and 07's larger wheel gap than the 04 and 05s; and the comfortability or daily drive ability of the Prodrive springs!
Based on what I have learned from a lot of very knowledgeable folks on this board I would have to say that that is not possible. Slammed look and good ride quality are mutually exclusive parameters.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Correct. Slammed look = less travel in the suspension = less comfort for DD but possibly better handling.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
^^^ Thats my question. I recently installed Prodrives and am very happy with how they ride, just thought the drop would be a little more agressive. Is there any way to lower the front more w/out switching springs again?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Lang said:
I may go back to the Prodrives for winter use, the jury is still out.
The jury is in. I've had them on for a month.

Although the ride looks pretty sharp with the RCE's, for my needs, the ride quality itself can be pretty "challenging" for daily driving. I will be returning to the Prodrives in the Fall.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Lang said:
The jury is in. I've had them on for a month.

Although the ride looks pretty sharp with the RCE's, for my needs, the ride quality itself can be pretty "challenging" for daily driving. I will be returning to the Prodrives in the Fall.
Did you trim your bump stops when you installed the yellows?

I rode around on the yellows for a month or two before doing so and i can say with the trimed stops im quite happy with the ride quality. very large improvment over RCE's with stock Bump Stops.

·
Registered
196 Posts
roninwyrm said:
Did you trim your bump stops when you installed the yellows?
Actually, since I had the Prodrives, and those came with their own bumpstops, RCE told me just to use those. Not sure if trimmed stock bumpstops vs. Prodrive bumpstops will make a difference or not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Lang said:
Actually, since I had the Prodrives, and those came with their own bumpstops, RCE told me just to use those. Not sure if trimmed stock bumpstops vs. Prodrive bumpstops will make a difference or not.
I should have said i trimed the stock bump stops. sorry about that. :)

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
What do you mean by challenging?
Are they harsh?
Do they transfer alot of BS into the cabin?
What was the major difference between the RCE's and the PRodrives?

Thanks for the feedback so far.

·
Registered
203 Posts
TheHammer said:
What do you mean by challenging?
Are they harsh?
Do they transfer alot of BS into the cabin?
What was the major difference between the RCE's and the PRodrives?

Thanks for the feedback so far.
your sig has you on the prodrives. are you thinking of switching?

41 - 60 of 91 Posts