IW STi Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
I use Zaino on mine (WRB) and when I put three coats on it looked freakishly clean. Seriously, it looked out of place in reality because it was so shiny. I have some mild swirl marks (owned since Oct. 03), but hey they're a fact of life. You're going to get swirls pretty much no matter how hard you try not to. I owned a black vehicle before this one and that was sooooo much harder to keep clean and swirl-free.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Billy_Talent said:
I use Zaino on mine (WRB) and when I put three coats on it looked freakishly clean. Seriously, it looked out of place in reality because it was so shiny. I have some mild swirl marks (owned since Oct. 03), but hey they're a fact of life. You're going to get swirls pretty much no matter how hard you try not to. I owned a black vehicle before this one and that was sooooo much harder to keep clean and swirl-free.

LOLROFLMAO!!! i added two more coats today (5 total in 3 days) and it looks freakin unreal. i wonder if law enforcement will stop me for being a traffic hazard :lol: "... ah, sir, your subaru is abnormally reflective and i was partially blinded when you passed" LOL ZAINO RULES!!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
stupid sl 55 amg owner

ok, for 3 days my sti has not been started. i just discovered zaino and have been going nutz. i really miss driving it and feel that my life is now lacking. however i keep applying zaino to the sti and taking pictures between coats. my wife is very concerned. my 3 year old really wants to ride in "daddy's race car". i wonder if anything like ZAINO'S ANONYMOUS exists :eek: LOL!!! I LOVE IT!!! this car! this polish! life IS good :wink: i hope subaru bumps this thing to 400 HP :oops:

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Ogane said:
DrEvyl said:
CloNeGTS said:
I wouldn't call cotton towels babying a modern clear coat finish. This is the way they all are. If you buy a dark colored car, you are going to see the clear coat doing it's job......taking the heat and protecting the real paint layer.
Actually pure 100% cotton towels are the best way to go. My previous cars had 10-15 coats of Zaino on them and there wasn't a swirl mark anywhere.... The problem is finding pure 100% cotton towels. Just because it says 100% cotton doesn't mean it is, and I have found towels that will scratch the car. After a while, you get to know what to look for. I try to find things that says 100% cotton, 100% cotton stitching, 100% cotton backing. And not "Egyptian" cotton or anything like that. Just COTTON.

If it costs less than $10/towel... it's NOT 100% COTTON!

Instead of those towels....get you a nice shami. I only use a towel to dry out the engine bay and door/trunk areas.
A chamois is the WORST thing you could use short of a sponge.... simply because it is a porous material that will trap tiny pieces of dirt, sand, and other abrasive items.

Wash your car with a 100% cotton towel. Use two buckets... one with Z7/water, and the other with clear water. Rinse the towel in the clear water before putting it in the Z7/water and washing your car with it. Just getting the dirt out of the towel and not putting it in with your soap will eliminate a lot of swirls.

The Zaino is incredible for eliminating those swirls. New or old, your car has swirls, does it not? You need the Z5. What swirls I did have.....95% are gone with the first app of Z5-Z2.
You can save a lot of work just by being anal about the towels you choose.

Stick with cotton and Z2 only, you will have swirls. That's just the way the cookie crumbles.
Stick with chamois you will have swirls. I can keep my car swirl free without going to town on the Z5.
Just talked to Nick at Zaino Bros and he concurred that Chamois' will put swirls on your paint. He said 100% cotton is the only way to go. He advised me to go to Bed Bath and Beyond and buy some towels made by Field Crest/Cannon. He said that they were a little expensive but well worth it.
Say what? I agree that a natural chamois is a very bad idea, but a synthetic one is the way to go in my opinion. Natural ones also contain oils that can remove wax. I use the absorber and it works great. You can machine wash it after every use as well to get out any dirt that may be trapped in it.

-st

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
saltypalm said:
ok, for 3 days my sti has not been started. i just discovered zaino and have been going nutz. i really miss driving it and feel that my life is now lacking. however i keep applying zaino to the sti and taking pictures between coats. my wife is very concerned. my 3 year old really wants to ride in "daddy's race car". i wonder if anything like ZAINO'S ANONYMOUS exists :eek: LOL!!! I LOVE IT!!! this car! this polish! life IS good :wink: i hope subaru bumps this thing to 400 HP :oops:
Lol. Welcome to the club. :D

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Well, I'm sure everyone has things that work better for them, but I have to say my personal results on black and WRB, American and Japanese automaker CC finishes.....any towel (even 100% really really cotton) did a significant more swirling than the Water Sprite synth chamois I've been using. Dirt, dust and what not getting caught in the chamois....no different than a towel's nap as far as I can tell. Chamois is washed each time it's used so there is no wash to wash build up.

I'm always willing to try things again....I'll swing by BBandB this weekend and give it another shot.

The comments about washing and drying in straight, horizontal/front-back motions....works wonders.

Along with 2 buckets, make em big and use em often. I try to dunk every half panel or so (6 sq ft).

·
Registered
68 Posts
i think i can really hit this one. ive used every wax you can imagine from having black cars for a long time its real tough keeping a good wax job on em. zymol and mothers are real good, mothers for the money, zymol if you just think more is better. first i use a clear coat safe cleaner, then i wash, next you polish, than lock your polish in with a good coat of wax. buy the way if you dry your car use a extremly soft towl and dry with the flow of the car dont rub use one for lots of water than a dry softer one for to suck of the last bit. light swirls are inevitable, thats where your pimp waxing job comes in. use glaze on your headlights to clean up any little chips. time and effort.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Time and effort, indeed. I Zaino'd my car last month for a good 6 hours (including polish dry time) and I thought I had given myself carpal tunnel in both wrists. Holy crap my arms hurt...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Did you guys use the Z5 or Z2 or both... i just got my Black STi yesterday... i washed it today and see hella swirl marks! Im pissed, but have learned a LOT about how to wash it from this site. Will Zaino ship outside of CA? Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
ashumo said:
i think i can really hit this one. ive used every wax you can imagine from having black cars for a long time its real tough keeping a good wax job on em.
Yeah, but have you used Zaino Bros? If you tried them all like me, and then tried Zaino, I think you would be impressed.

·
Registered
51 Posts
one word - microfiber. I was sceptical until I tried them myself. I'm not talking about the stuff they sell at Target & Wal-mart. Try www.properautocare.com - they have excellent stuff. I use their "magic" drying towel, the glass cleaning kit, and the power scrubber towels. The drying towel leaves NO scratches and will dry nearly the entire car before you have to wring it out. The power scrubbers are great for general cleaning, as well as removing polish. The microfiber wash mitt is amazing too - great scrubbing power with little chance of scratching.

Speaking of polish, to really get rid of swirls, you need a machine polisher - I use the Porter Cable 7424 (I think that's the model #...) and a number of foam pads bought from properautocare.com. I have been happy with the results I get from 3M swirl mark remover * the Porter Cable buffer - it is better to use multiple passes with a mild product than one with an aggressive product, which can cause more harm than good sometimes. It also helps immensely to clay bar the car after washing to get rid of imbedded materials - I never believed in this stuff until I used it on my boxster & saw the amount of crap it was pulling off of my "clean" car.

I always finish off with a few coats of Zaino, using 100% cotton towels to apply/remove. An easy test to see if a towel is 100% cotton is to light a match to it - cotton smolders, but does not readily burn - unlike polyester/rayon/etc, which will go up in a ball of flames :)

21 - 32 of 32 Posts