IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iowa

I can't belive it. I've used 100% cotton white clean towels only. I don't understand. I have not waxed. The only thing I can think off is sheep skin pad I used to take off the lint left by the towels. the swirls are very faint. My wife thinks I am to anal. The car has had only 5 washes. 2500 miles. Well, my neighbor is a car guy and he noticed it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
no matter what material you use I don't think you'll be able to avoid swirl marks...one reason is that anywhere you go there's always dust flying around (most are not seen by the naked eye)...they cling on your car's paint and when you start wiping your towel becomes like a micro sand paper from those dust...those very tiny particles are the ones that create the swirl marks...so either you use cotton or sheep skin or whatever you'd still get minor swirl marks...different material towels only lessen swirl marks but not prevent them...

One advice I can give you is to check out Zaino...i've been reading up on it and a lot of people give it a very good review especially in removing swirl marks and good shine...a little pricey but many say it's worth it...

I hope that helped....good luck! :wink:

·
Registered
87 Posts
oh and another thing....try to use a smooth sponge to dry up your car after it's washed instead of towels... my girlfriend's dad does it and it does help prevent or I should say reduce (a lot) swirl marks.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As far a Zaino. I have a hole pack of there products ready for the STI but this really discouraged me for babying the car. I guess I'll try it next week. Oh and I did not purchase the Z5 which is the one that reduces swirl marks because my car was new! anyway thanx for the reply. I am going to stick with Cotton.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I wouldn't call cotton towels babying a modern clear coat finish. This is the way they all are. If you buy a dark colored car, you are going to see the clear coat doing it's job......taking the heat and protecting the real paint layer.

Instead of those towels....get you a nice shami. I only use a towel to dry out the engine bay and door/trunk areas.

The Zaino is incredible for eliminating those swirls. New or old, your car has swirls, does it not? You need the Z5. What swirls I did have.....95% are gone with the first app of Z5-Z2.

Stick with cotton and Z2 only, you will have swirls. That's just the way the cookie crumbles.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Definitely get the Z5. It won't remove the swirls but it will cover them up and the more coats you use the better. The only way to remove swirls is to buff them out. For as anal as you say you are I am surprised you have not waxed the car already. I have waxed mine so many times I lost count. When I wash it I use one of those California Water Blades to remove most of the water and then jump on the expressway to blow the rest of the water off, since I still live in an apartment I have to go to a diy place to wash my car, so I go to one close to the expressway. If I am washing it in a driveway I use "The Absorber" to remove the rest of the water. I use 100% cotton towels when quick detailing and removing wax. BTW, I can't see any swirls on mine.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
MKIV....I'd warn against the Water Blades. I was a long time user of one and even had my wife buy one. I soon started noticing very long scratches in my clear coat. I figured it was mine and threw it away. I tried hers again a few weeks ago.....same thing. They are kept up with the rest of the car wash supplies, always clean and washed off just before use. I don't know where the scratching comes from....but I've seen it happen with two of them on two different cars now.....it's chamis for me from here on out.

Just my .02

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Re: STI Instrument Gauge Cluster Bezel

I was worried about that myself at first and figured someone would bring it up, but I have been using mine, the exact same one in fact, for quite a few years now on 3 different cars, one being my black Supra and have not noticed any scratches.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
New Tein EDFC

Keep an eye on it....I'm starting to think that it wasn't something on the blade itself that caused the scratches, but maybe a small nick or tear in the silicone blade itself.

Not sure....but as long as it works, they are great. I'm a huge fan of my Water Sprite though....best chami I've ever seen.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess I'll try the chami when drying the car and cotton towels when removing wax. I can't belive that cotton towels are not good. I will get the Z5 since I thought I didn't need it when I placed the order. I mean my car is new!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Until I bought my WRB STI I thought I knew how to wash a car - WRONG. Before I took delivery I wanted to be prepared with every goodie possible to keep it clean. Then I checked out

http://www.carcareonline.com/

Guess what, there is a correct way to wash and wax without scratching your car - just read the articles. Carecare sells no product until they have used in for one year (I actually talked with Larry who I believe owns the company and runs their wharehouse since by luck the wharehouse just happens to be close by in NJ).

Larry is a lover of automobiles and he knows EVERYTHING about properly taking care of your car - I will never, never go to a car wash again! Further, I found out that the 100% cotton towels you and I buy are NOT 100% cotton - read his site (a cloth can be contain a certain amount of synthetic fibers and still be called 100% cotton). He showed me the same freaking towels I just bought BUT his, from the same company were slightly different and truly 100% cotton. Those in-between wash sprays - no good as you are just grinding dust into your finish

I have seen the light! and my "I" looks squeaky clean.

·
Registered
85 Posts
i have found through mucho pain and suffering with my wifes black 4runner that Zymol is best for darker colors. I have a silver 98 civic that has a like new finish courtesy of NuFunish, and thats with 100k + miles. When i put nufinish on the black 4runner i had a seizure!! swirl marks everywhere!!!! man i was pissed! did some homework and came across zymol. stuff worked like magic on her truck. it even almost completely removed the hazy marks. i have reccomended this to freinds with swirlitis on their dark paint and they also had very good results. the down side to zymol is it does not last like nufinish does on my civic. so now i have a silver sti. i am debating to go nufinish or zymol. i might try a small spot and check for swirls cause that nufinish crap lasts like stink!!! water beads for months! i suspect that my civic has swirls but you cant tell with the silver paint. sorry about your bad experience. dark paint is a bear to maintain. by the way, i tried ALL makes of wax on the 4runner after that crisis and i swear that none can touch zymol on the dark paint. another positive is that it comes off black trim real easy unlike other wax(ie nufinish - SUCKS! on black trim). the only dowside is you will need to wax like at least every two months to keep the water beading. oh yeah, zymol smells good enough to eat too:):) hope this helps.let us know what happens

·
Registered
454 Posts
Re: New Video: Playin' in the Street vol. 1

CloNeGTS said:
I wouldn't call cotton towels babying a modern clear coat finish. This is the way they all are. If you buy a dark colored car, you are going to see the clear coat doing it's job......taking the heat and protecting the real paint layer.
Actually pure 100% cotton towels are the best way to go. My previous cars had 10-15 coats of Zaino on them and there wasn't a swirl mark anywhere.... The problem is finding pure 100% cotton towels. Just because it says 100% cotton doesn't mean it is, and I have found towels that will scratch the car. After a while, you get to know what to look for. I try to find things that says 100% cotton, 100% cotton stitching, 100% cotton backing. And not "Egyptian" cotton or anything like that. Just COTTON.

If it costs less than $10/towel... it's NOT 100% COTTON!

Instead of those towels....get you a nice shami. I only use a towel to dry out the engine bay and door/trunk areas.
A chamois is the WORST thing you could use short of a sponge.... simply because it is a porous material that will trap tiny pieces of dirt, sand, and other abrasive items.

Wash your car with a 100% cotton towel. Use two buckets... one with Z7/water, and the other with clear water. Rinse the towel in the clear water before putting it in the Z7/water and washing your car with it. Just getting the dirt out of the towel and not putting it in with your soap will eliminate a lot of swirls.

The Zaino is incredible for eliminating those swirls. New or old, your car has swirls, does it not? You need the Z5. What swirls I did have.....95% are gone with the first app of Z5-Z2.
You can save a lot of work just by being anal about the towels you choose.

Stick with cotton and Z2 only, you will have swirls. That's just the way the cookie crumbles.
Stick with chamois you will have swirls. I can keep my car swirl free without going to town on the Z5.

·
Registered
34 Posts
DrEvyl said:
CloNeGTS said:
Actually pure 100% cotton towels are the best way to go. My previous cars had 10-15 coats of Zaino on them and there wasn't a swirl mark anywhere.... The problem is finding pure 100% cotton towels. Just because it says 100% cotton doesn't mean it is, and I have found towels that will scratch the car. After a while, you get to know what to look for. I try to find things that says 100% cotton, 100% cotton stitching, 100% cotton backing. And not "Egyptian" cotton or anything like that. Just COTTON.

If it costs less than $10/towel... it's NOT 100% COTTON!

A chamois is the WORST thing you could use short of a sponge.... simply because it is a porous material that will trap tiny pieces of dirt, sand, and other abrasive items.

Wash your car with a 100% cotton towel. Use two buckets... one with Z7/water, and the other with clear water. Rinse the towel in the clear water before putting it in the Z7/water and washing your car with it. Just getting the dirt out of the towel and not putting it in with your soap will eliminate a lot of swirls.

You can save a lot of work just by being anal about the towels you choose.

Stick with chamois you will have swirls. I can keep my car swirl free without going to town on the Z5.
Just talked to Nick at Zaino Bros and he concurred that Chamois' will put swirls on your paint. He said 100% cotton is the only way to go. He advised me to go to Bed Bath and Beyond and buy some towels made by Field Crest/Cannon. He said that they were a little expensive but well worth it.

·
Registered
454 Posts
another exhaust question

Ogane said:
Just talked to Nick at Zaino Bros and he concurred that Chamois' will put swirls on your paint. He said 100% cotton is the only way to go. He advised me to go to Bed Bath and Beyond and buy some towels made by Field Crest/Cannon. He said that they were a little expensive but well worth it.
Pretty much everything I learned came from Sal Zaino.... the guy really knows how to make a car look awesome.

And when you buy towels, make sure you get WHITE. Don't buy colored ones, you don't want towels that have been dyed.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Yeah my gf at the time thought I was nuts when I went to JCPenny and bought a few $20 Cannon, 100% cotton towels to detail my car with. Also don't forget to remove the tags, and some even go so far as to remove the seams or whatever they are called on the edges. Those towels really hold up to repeated use and washings so I guess they were worth the money.

BTW saltypalm, Zaino blows away Zymol on black. Zaino lasts longer than Nufinish and a lot longer than Zymol. I actually could not get Zymol to work on my black Supra and I tried every possible way of applying and removing it. It would just smear around and I had to rub real hard to remove it... that alone I am sure added a lot of swirls to my paint. Zymol is not worth the price IMO.

·
Registered
85 Posts
never heard about zaino prior to reading this forum, and i thought i knew a thing or two 'bout keeping them shiny! halol :oops: i'll definately check it out. lasts LONGER that crappy NuFinish? alright, this i got to check out.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I hate to be a JackLegg, but when you wash and/or dry a car you never swirl anything. You clean and dry in a horizontally, not circles.

It is hard to believe that you can see swirls through the metallic paint. They must be pretty bad.

Solution: Use a Mirror Glaze basic car wax or Zymol. That should get rid of those pesky swirls.

Thanks...don't mention it.

SubaruUberAlles.. :)

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Swirl is a generic term for fine clearcoat scratches, not just the classic circular scratches that result from wax application or removal.

Swirl is visible on darker colors because the dark layer is beneath the scratched clearcoat and the scratches reflect sunlight.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Thanks MKIVSupra. i just bought some zaino... simply the best stuff i ever used. i put 3 coats on my sti and WOW

:eek: 8) :eek: 8)

the car really looks better then when i bought it 2 weeks ago... no bull. easy to use too. now its like like a piece of artwork... i am afraid to take it out of the protective confines of my garage! i wonder what would it look like after 1000 coats of zaino? 8) will it be faster 0 - 60? 1/4 mile? lol

1 - 20 of 32 Posts