IW STi Forum banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
For the street 25mm is too much, also I think your talking about hollow (Eibach). Get solid go with 24mm solid frt/ 22mm rear both adjustible. The frt will provide 23.5 soft to 24.5 hard and the rear will be 24/23/22 if 3 way adj. see whitelines.
I must correct my rear setting original quote: 21/22/23 for a 22mm bar. These #'s are from the bushing mounting point for a 3 way adj.

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Any thoughts/reviews on what would a 25mm FRONT/22 REAR bar combo will do for the streets?
I am personally not a hug fan of this combo for most set ups. The front 25mm bar is a little too stiff to give you a very neutral option when paired with a 22mm adjustable rear bar. The possible effective sizes will vary from brand to brand, but typically with a 25mm solid front bar and 22mm solid rear bar you'd have either 26/24 or 25.5/24.5 front and 21/22/23 rear. With a 24mm adjustable front bar you'd have 25/23 or 23.5/24.5 which when paired with a 22mm rear adjustable bar will give you better options in most cases. This kind of goes back to what I said in the original post about their being a lot of variables and no single correct answer... but that said for most typical set ups 25/22 is going to be less than ideal. If you want to give me an idea of what you're trying to accomplish with aftermarket sways I can help you decide on a size combo. I would need to know what kind of driving you're doing (street, autox, track etc it sounds like you're mainly on the street which would make 22/22 or 24/22 a better choice), what kind of roads you mains drive on (ie smooth, potholes, paved, unpaved), how important comfort vs performance is to you and probably most importantly what other suspension mods you either have now or have planned in the future.

Thanks,
Geoff

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Good info :tup: I'm still searching for what sway bars to go with. I'm thinking about the Perrin 25mm. I have upgraded engine, trans, & diff mounts. Upgraded coil overs too.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Good info :tup: I'm still searching for what sway bars to go with. I'm thinking about the Perrin 25mm. I have upgraded engine, trans, & diff mounts. Upgraded coil overs too.
That was my original choice too, but recently have been thinking of the Eibach combo. I just can't decide if I want tubular or solid.

·
Registered
918 Posts
pretty crazy, I have super pro 22mm rear sway bar, with
avo rear endlinks, and i cant adjust my swaybar,
only lines up with the tightest setting..

Update: I finally figured it out! lol

·
Registered
80 Posts
Great write up thank you. I've spent hours trying to research what combo I should go with for my 05 sti.. this helped a lot, still cant decide though lol I'm torn between 24 f/r or 27f, 24 r. I guess it would help to know how my suspension is already set up but I don't.. got the car from a dealer trade in and they didn't know much except the basics. I do know it has aftermarket top hats and springs too I'm assuming but really don't know what kind, spring rates etc... I know the car is pretty stiff already and handles really nice as is though.

Anyways assuming they're a little stiffer than stock springs, would 27/24 be too much for mostly street/spirited use on my 05? If i understand correctly if you have stiffer springs you want a softer (smaller?) bar is that right? So its better to have the larger bar combo with stock springs, and maybe a little smaller bar combo with stiffer springs? I'm kinda leaning towards the 24/24 set up as skipping tires in a turn sounds scary.. id rather have overall grip and a little roll then no roll but no grip either.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I hear ya, guess i'll just need to try it out and see what happens. think i'll try 24 f/r and mess with the settings from there. anyways this thread helped me a bit thanks.

·
Registered
355 Posts
What sway bar setup would you recommend for someone running RCE Blacks / Bilsteins with White line Com-C plates on a daily driven GV/GR that sees rare autocrosses on street tires? I currently have this with RCE sways (equivalent to about 23mm front and rear) and want your input as I still have some understeer.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
What sway bar setup would you recommend for someone running RCE Blacks / Bilsteins with White line Com-C plates on a daily driven GV/GR that sees rare autocrosses on street tires? I currently have this with RCE sways (equivalent to about 23mm front and rear) and want your input as I still have some understeer.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
I'm running the Bilsteins + Blacks with Super Pro 23/22. I'm still experiencing a little understeer as well. With 23/23, it seemed a tad more neutral, but the ride comfort started to decline. At one point I had 23/24, the ride quality was not all that great, and the car seemed unsettled/twitchy.

Basically, increasing the rear sway too much won't correct the understeer. I think trying the front bar on a softer setting may be worthwhile, with the rear on medium, for a 21/22 setup. If that doesn't work, I think the 23/22 setting will be my final.

21 - 40 of 77 Posts