IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing my Kartboy Endlinks and Cobb swaybars this weekend. Any suggestions or links would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
1. crawl under car
2. remove endlink bolts and sway mounting bolts
3. bench-press bar into place
4. ???
5. profit!

:D

·
How YOU Doin?
3,157 Posts
Remove the front subframe for the front swaybar install. It takes a little more time, but it makes it so much easier.

Also, don't overtorque the bushing brackets. The bolts only need to be tightened to like 18 ft-lbs.

The rear is alot easier. But, you'll either need a nice swivel-head socket, or remove the charcoal canister to gain access to the one bolt to remove the bushing mount.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Back is really easy... Front is easy 2, it just takes time to get to it... Its pretty straight forward.

·
OT stealth mod
4,261 Posts
jsh139 said:
Remove the front subframe for the front swaybar install. It takes a little more time, but it makes it so much easier.

Also, don't overtorque the bushing brackets. The bolts only need to be tightened to like 18 ft-lbs.

The rear is alot easier. But, you'll either need a nice swivel-head socket, or remove the charcoal canister to gain access to the one bolt to remove the bushing mount.
Unless he is getting the mounts too, on the 06s you don't have to remove the charcoal canister.

Just unbolt the brakets and endlinks, and put the new one up with supplied bushings.

And definately take down the subframe for the front, much easier that way.

·
How YOU Doin?
3,157 Posts
Cobb sways come with new mounts for the rear.

So, you're saying that you don't need to remove the charcoal canister on the 06's? Or, you mean, unless you are installing the new mounts. You can get the bar on and off without removing the canister on all years, AFAIK.

·
OT stealth mod
4,261 Posts
jsh139 said:
Cobb sways come with new mounts for the rear.

So, you're saying that you don't need to remove the charcoal canister on the 06's? Or, you mean, unless you are installing the new mounts. You can get the bar on and off without removing the canister on all years, AFAIK.
Yea, but i remember reading about problems with their mounts fitting 06s....

AFAIK you have to remove the charcoal canister on 04-05's to get one bolt on the swaybar bracket, maybe not....

But 06s you don't have to mess with that, unless you are putting in new swaybar mounts too.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes the swaybars come with new mounts from Cobb. So I may have to remove the charcoal canister. Cobb has always been good IMO with sending adequate instructions I was just wondering how hard it is. I'm an industrial mechanic so I'm sure I can pull it off.
Thanks for the replys

·
How YOU Doin?
3,157 Posts
LOLSTi said:
Oh, and for the front subframe, I would DEFINETELY use air tools!
+1 It took me about 45 minutes just to get that thing off. There's like 500 bolts and pop rivets to remove. :mad:

Also, Cobb's instructions are in black and white. These are in color ;)

http://www.hotchkistuning.com/bin/instructions/22406,07,18.pdf

FYI, the torque setting for the swaybar bushing bolts is wrong. It says 33 ft-lbs, but it should really be 18.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just finished putting on my cobb sways, springs and kartboy endlinks. The rear mounts where kinda a pain to line up, but besides that it was all very easy and straight forward. I have the rear set at medium but think im going to set it to hard. The ride is great, not any harsher than stock but much better in the corners.

·
Registered
891 Posts
dailydriversti said:
AFAIK you have to remove the charcoal canister on 04-05's to get one bolt on the swaybar bracket, maybe not....
I just did the rear cobb sway on my 05 about an hour ago. I didn't take the canister out, I just removed the smaller rubber hose and that gave me enough room to get in there w/ an extension and get the one mount off. If you do it this way just be careful to not break the nipple off of the charcoal canister. I didn't have a universal so it was a bit tougher than if I would have had one.

Two questions for you guys.
In the instructions you got with yours, are they specific to the STi or are they just general WRX instructions? I'm just wondering because I think my instructions said WRX and didn't mention the STi anywhere. I was just concerned that I was shipped the right bars. Are the wrx bars different (would they fit if they are different)?

They mention that the bar in the rear should be on the outside of the endlinks (instead of inside like it is for the stock bar). Now they have the COBB links on that car for the instructions, is that why they say this? With the stock endlinks I don't think it's even possible to install it this way, am I right?

So tonight I tonight I swapped my Borla hush off for my stock catback (just for a change) with KB hangers, changed the rear diff fluid, installed the rear sway. Tomorrow I'm going to tackle the front sway and cobb ss.

·
How YOU Doin?
3,157 Posts
I also installed a rear sway bar last night :) Along with some badass KB endlinks.

For the charcoal canister, I just loosened the rear two nuts, removed the front nut, and just slid it over about an inch. That gave me enough room to fit a swivel head in there.

FWIW, the Whiteline installs inside the endlinks, like the stock bar. Best fitment evAr!

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Its very easy to do the sway bars.

Make sure you have the tires on load....ie. ramps, or similar.

REAR
Remove sway bar, and hardware. Before placing the rear mounts, make sure you double check which way they need to be facing.

FRONT
Remove subframe is easy, you will have 10 bolts in total plus 4 clips. Then its a breeze to do the rest.

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
Va06Sti said:
what settings does everyone have their rear set on?
Depends.

What does the rest of your suspension look like? Stock springs? Go soft in the rear if so. If you have the "big" whiteline bar, anything but the softest setting will have you lifing the inside rear which is quite detremental to traction. :tdown:

·
Registered
891 Posts
sebtarta said:
Make sure you have the tires on load....ie. ramps, or similar.
Why is that? Does it matter with the stock endlinks? I read somewhere that with the old C style wrx links that the suspsension should be loaded, but with the newer STi endlinks it doesn't have to be.

Right now I'm using the stock links and haven't driven the car yet, I installed the RSB on our 2 post lift so the susp wasn't under load.

I'll be getting KB endlinks soon, but don't have them yet.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
make sure you have some silicon lube for the bushings

1 - 20 of 23 Posts