IW STi Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking into the option of swapping the whole trunk lid and spoiler from a STI to a WRX. My goal is not having a spoiler on the STI. I have been thinking of what all needs to be swapped to make this right.

-swap trunk lids
-swap lift assist springs
-swap locks
-add a third brake light to the STI

The lift assist springs don't look too bad. I don't even think tools are required for this. The locks should be more fun. I assume the STI and WRX locks latch the same way. Has anyone swapped either of these?

Does a WRX without a spoiler come with the necessary wires to connect to the LED brake light in the spoiler?

The third brake light will be necessary. I doubt this can be swapped from a WRX as the carpet is probably cut under it. I may buy one from the parts department for the STI, but I have also though of doing something custom. For anyone that has done this, what did you do about the third brake light?

-Lance

·
Registered
4 Posts
New to the site, LOVE THE STi

Dear Lance-

I'm getting a new silver wrx sti and want to swap my trunk lid plus wing for the trunk of an ordinary wrx. Have you actually done this to your car, as your message suggests, or are you still just contemplating doind it?

Skip

·
Registered
804 Posts
http://www.imprezawrxsti.com/postnuke/modules.php?op=modload&name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=2137

I did the third brake light today. The owner of the RS also gave me his brake light. The STi is pre-wired for it so you just have to plug it in. I had to pull the back seats to pull the rear deck. I also had to remove one side including a seat belt to get the rear deck out. Before I pulled the rear deck I drilled holes from underneath where the brake light mounts. I cut an opening in the rear deck and checked for fitment. Reinstalled the rear deck then installed the brake light. While the seats were out I went ahead and removed the baby seat hooks/bars and the center seat belt, dead weight. Put it all back together and plugged in the third brake light, works like a charm :lol: . Hope this helps.

·
Registered
251 Posts
How much does that junk weigh? Is it worth the effort?

I also want to get rid of the dayglo escape hatch in the trunk. I find it insulting. Plus, when I put people in there, I obviously want them to stay. :roll:

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Blue with Gold JDM Version 7 wheels

formerM5owner:

I have not done the swap yet as I am still waiting on my STI to arrive. I am trying to be prepared.

Scuba_Steve:

When the third brake light assembly came out of the RS, was there a hole in the carpet where it was? It sounds like you removed the rear seat and deck to be able to attach the brake light to the deck. Would it have been any easier to just swap the rear decks too or is there a carpet color issue?

Does your third brake light connect to the same plug that the STI spoiler brake light connects?

-Lance

·
Registered
804 Posts
mx270a said:
formerM5owner:

I have not done the swap yet as I am still waiting on my STI to arrive. I am trying to be prepared.

Scuba_Steve:

When the third brake light assembly came out of the RS, was there a hole in the carpet where it was? It sounds like you removed the rear seat and deck to be able to attach the brake light to the deck. Would it have been any easier to just swap the rear decks too or is there a carpet color issue?

Does your third brake light connect to the same plug that the STI spoiler brake light connects?

-Lance
When the third brake light assembly came out of the RS, was there a hole in the carpet where it was? Yes

Would it have been any easier to just swap the rear decks too or is there a carpet color issue? I think so but the RS owner didn't want too, thought it might be too time consuming, carpet color is the same

Does your third brake light connect to the same plug that the STI spoiler brake light connects? No, there is a blue plug in the trunk under the brake light.

-Steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts