IW STi Forum banner

941 - 960 of 1004 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
I replaced my with the 2015+ rack due to a leaking rack on my GR. Is worth it. Also installed the Super Pro steering bushings and Cusco brace. No extra NVH

·
Registered
239 Posts
Turns out my Factory steering rack is shot on my 11 and leaking badly so I now have an excuse to get the 15 steering rack! Dealer quoted me $775 for the rack and a few hours labor. I see the general motor parts online site has it for $592. Think I will order online and have dealer install.
Just curious, I’m being quoted 540 for install.
What was your quote from your dealer?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just curious, I’m being quoted 540 for install.
What was your quote from your dealer?
fyi local subaru shop gave me this quote

New OEM Subaru Power Steering Rack
Installation of Rack
Alignment
Fluid

·
Registered
45 Posts
This seems to be a direct bolt on mechanically.
But any other issues involved like sensors, steering angle, etc?
when i asked for a quote from the mechanic, he said the same thing about sensors and steering angle and made myself doubt the install.

I DIYed it anyway and been running fine for 5k with no issues mechanically and electronically.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I’m going on 4 years with no issues.

I can count on one hand the people who had issues. They either had a bad sensor before the swap and didn’t know, or they broke something while doing a DIY, or they didn’t do an alignment, or they did the alignment but the SAS wasn’t reset during the alignment.
Read through about halfway. Good to know that there are no long term effects. The SAS reset, is that something that I need to request when getting an alignment?

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Read through about halfway. Good to know that there are no long term effects. The SAS reset, is that something that I need to request when getting an alignment?

It’s part of the dealer’s alignment procedure in the FSM. The people who had that issue did their alignment thenselves or went to a shop not familiar with Subarus.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I’m going on 4 years with no issues.

I can count on one hand the people who had issues. They either had a bad sensor before the swap and didn’t know, or they broke something while doing a DIY, or they didn’t do an alignment, or they did the alignment but the SAS wasn’t reset during the alignment.

True that very few people had issues.

I'm one of the ones who did.

I went through literally everything. I had the install done by a reputable, skilled performance shop... alignment done by professionals, reset the SAS more than once using the special Subaru tool, checked all the sensors, nothing was broken or damaged... we went through every single part that could even hypothetically have even the tiniest bit of conceivable effect... nothing made the slightest bit of difference.

Moderately tight corners would cause traction control to kick on. With traction control disabled there were no issues. Mechanically, it worked great, electronically it did not.

Just throwing it out there, not everyone has had 100% success with it, and not everyone who hasn't had success broke things or didn't do things right.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
True that very few people had issues.

I'm one of the ones who did.

I went through literally everything. I had the install done by a reputable, skilled performance shop... alignment done by professionals, reset the SAS more than once using the special Subaru tool, checked all the sensors, nothing was broken or damaged... we went through every single part that could even hypothetically have even the tiniest bit of conceivable effect... nothing made the slightest bit of difference.

Moderately tight corners would cause traction control to kick on. With traction control disabled there were no issues. Mechanically, it worked great, electronically it did not.

Just throwing it out there, not everyone has had 100% success with it, and not everyone who hasn't had success broke things or didn't do things right.

I remember helping you with this one. Ever actually get around to replacing one of the SAS?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Any of you remember if the hard lines on the 2015 rack came with the o-rings for the 2 fittings? Wanted to use fresh ones for the install.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I remember helping you with this one. Ever actually get around to replacing one of the SAS?
All were throughly diagnosed, both electronically via the Subaru diagnostic scan tool and by actual physical inspection. The Subaru scan tool is pretty cool in that you can actually view all the data that all of the sensors are sending in real time. We tested, reset, tested more. Everything was reading exactly how it should yet the problem persisted.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
All were throughly diagnosed, both electronically via the Subaru diagnostic scan tool and by actual physical inspection. The Subaru scan tool is pretty cool in that you can actually view all the data that all of the sensors are sending in real time. We tested, reset, tested more. Everything was reading exactly how it should yet the problem persisted.
Do you know someone who has the SSM or were you getting that read out at the dealer?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm in a similar spot: (very) reputable shop doing the work, nothing amiss mechanically or sensor-wise. Resetting it again made the TC engagement less frequent and inconsistent, but can't seem to eliminate it entirely.

941 - 960 of 1004 Posts