IW STi Forum banner

921 - 940 of 1004 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Got the rack from my local dealer instead since they had it in stock. Got it for 670 including taxes.
How do you center the rack? I want to make sure that it's centered before installing it.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Got the rack from my local dealer instead since they had it in stock. Got it for 670 including taxes.
How do you center the rack? I want to make sure that it's centered before installing it.
It only goes in one way as steering knuckles only have one horiontal location you can install them in. The only difference is that you can measure your current rack wdith from tie rod end to tie rod end to get the alignment as close as you can to what you have now. This is a moot point though as you should get an alignment afterwards anyway.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Got the old rack out today after work. What a pita was to disconnect the damm lines. Got the one installed and should have everything done by tomorrow. Does anyone have the torque settings for all the hardware that is removed?

I also have to replace two front wheel studs since my brother using an impact gun snapped them off while removing the wheel nuts :/

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
I've had the 15 rack in my 09 since before Xmas.
Had to replace the pump, etc. cause the old rack sucked (literally).
Works perfectly. Doesn't suck in air + dirt in cold weather to blow the seals (suck in more dirt and blow the entire system).

Replaced the rack bushings with Whiteline. Reduced torque steer, which, apparently, doesn't exist for the teenage street racers, yadadada.

Cheers!
Rocket

·
Registered
35 Posts
Finally finished the rack today. The steering wheel is a little off, but I'm taking it for an alignment tomorrow. I took it for a short drive and the steering does feel tighter/heavier and more direct.

One thing to note, on the first regular turn that i took, the traction control went crazy and scared the crP out of me. I disabled it until after I get it aligned. Why do Subarus need traction control? My bugeye doesnt have it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I connected the ujoint when the wheels were straight and the steering wheel was centered, but when I took it for a drive the steering wheel ended up a little off. The alignment shop should be able to fix it by adjusting the tie rods no?

·
Registered
379 Posts
I connected the ujoint when the wheels were straight and the steering wheel was centered, but when I took it for a drive the steering wheel ended up a little off. The alignment shop should be able to fix it by adjusting the tie rods no?
I hope you didn't turn the steering wheel while the rack was disconnected. That can damage the roll connector as stated in the service manual.

Besides that, if your steering wheel is in between splines, the alignment shop should be able to straighten it by the tie rods.

If it is off by a spline or more, remove the steering wheel and center it as best as you can. Then alignment can take care of the rest.

Mine was off by 3/4 spline so I moved it over by a spline which reduced it to 1/4 spline in the other direction. Then I used SmartStrings to align the car. The car runs straight and true.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Turns out my Factory steering rack is shot on my 11 and leaking badly so I now have an excuse to get the 15 steering rack! Dealer quoted me $775 for the rack and a few hours labor. I see the general motor parts online site has it for $592. Think I will order online and have dealer install.

·
Registered
126 Posts
The dealer in my country is asking $1200 for the rack!

Now Im browsing US sites and calculating shipping price.
The good feedback on this thread makes me more eager to get this rack ASAP.
it was mid $600s every online dealer when i ordered mine and another 60-80 to ship

·
Registered
14 Posts
hey guys just swapped the rack into my 2011 sti everything looks good no leaks or warning lights or anything my one question is the steering feels alot heavier you could say vs the original rack is that normal or is it supposed to feel as light and easy as the original rack was thanks!

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
hey guys just swapped the rack into my 2011 sti everything looks good no leaks or warning lights or anything my one question is the steering feels alot heavier you could say vs the original rack is that normal or is it supposed to feel as light and easy as the original rack was thanks!

Normal since you have new bushings. It just proved to you how soft a car gets over time.

·
Registered
58 Posts
It's much heavier even without a bushing swap. I didn't want extra NVH and it's very noticeable.. similar to going from stock alignment to additional caster (~6.5 to ~8 deg).

Wouldn't let that sway anyone from doing it.. my petite 5'3" wife can drive it no problem and it's got spacers, caster plates, and the 15 rack. the front end doesn't feel anything like the original car.

921 - 940 of 1004 Posts