IW STi Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
See my AutoX times against the big dogs :)

Well, i just shit my pants... This guy just took me for a ride in his TT Supra, with like, 320 at the wheel, and my god.. That thing sticks you in the seat like theres no tomorrow! I seriously fell in love. Now, would the STi keep up with this car? I love the STi, but wow, i found a new love... but i doubt i could ever afford the insurance. Anyway, what are everyones thoughts on the Sti and Supra?

·
Registered
133 Posts
i also have driven the supra. if you want to really compare, my sti is fast, but it will not glue you to your seat like the supra will.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Exhaust questions??...Looky no further!

the supra was a great deal and a cool car, i was actually looking into getting one. Then the fast and the furious came out and an $18000 car became a $30000 car. Then the STi came out and all was well.

·
Registered
326 Posts
my friends got a Supra with 380hp to the wheels.
He has ridden in my STi and was amazed how fast it is off the line.
He can't win in a 1/8 mile race...unless he gets some really really wide tires :).
but his supra is way way faster at higher speeds... he does 1/4 in the 12's at 117
.. where STi is like 12, 13 at 104

·
Registered
82 Posts
I used to own a 1995 Supra Turbo 6-speed for about 2 years. But I had an STi for 2 weeks now. Yes! Supra is a really fast high-end car. If you love to race 100+mph on the freeway, Supra is the right car for you. Because I know the STi will not keep up with the Supra on 4th to 6th gear on freeway. If you are more into Auto-X, Race track, or Mountain racing, go for the STi then.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Stock for stock they are similar, the STi having the advantage off the line and the Supra at speed. Now a modified Supra like my 94, there is no comparison. I can't launch for poop so even with my modded Supra a good driver in an STi will probably take me off the line. Even slamming second gear in my Supra breaks the rear tires loose. We will have to see what stuff becomes available for the STi but the Supra will still have more potential beacuse of the 2 extra cylinders. The Supra does not do too well on short straights or tight auto-x courses but in the 1/4 or a road course the Supra would be faster. Of course all of this goes out the window if it's raining or snowing. The best thing about the STi though, I can drive it all year around and it has 4 doors.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Also their engines are completely different and they are setup different. As MKIVSupra knows, supras are all topend monsters and STIs with awd are low end monsters. If you got a ride in an STI who launches it right, that will feel like the most incredible feeling in the world. If you're just in third cruising and 60 and punch it, it wont be AS great, but still nice. In a supra theres lag up to ~4000 rpm or more with the stock setup in True Twin Turbo mode. That and with aftermarket turbos the lag is even worse. Although the STI will probably lose (as well as almost any car) in the end, the STI just seems like its more fun to drive and all, that and I feel more confident knowing I have 2 extra 245s of grip. The supra is awsome, a modder's dream, but unfortunately at my age, insurance and maintenance would kill me. Also its all about the driver when it comes to power. We've seen stock STIs run 13.1s and such. I've seen 700hp supras run 13.4s @ XXX (which everyone had a fun time with for a while hehe ;) ). So its all about knowing how to drive your car. That and the power band is much different in each car. The STI with simple mods has full spool at ~2800 rpms or so vs ~4000 or so. So you get more of your power sooner with the STI (not as much of a throw you in your seat feel), but the Supra will smash you in your seat because the power comes on later and in a huge wallop. lol sorry to babble about this, but I love both cars and really wish I could mix them ... hmmm .. skyline GT R34 hehe ;)

Robert~

also as mkiv said the supra will have more potential not only because of the 6 cylinders, but because the engine is ironclad. The fact you can just drop in a T88H and throw down 800-900RWHP or more on the stock internals and such just boggles my mind.

·
Registered
97 Posts
TOYOTA makes some amazing engines.. 3SGTE in MR2, 6JZE(?) in Supra both can be modded beyong belief. 500HP in a 2.0L Turbo MR2 and 1000HP Supra are not even that crazy. But in the end, it's the car that makes all the difference.
People have said a MR2 goes where you want to go, but you go where the car wants to go in a Supra. Now that I'v had experience with both and sitting in a STi.. I feel there's a great deal of balance between power and control, and there are a lot of both.
I don't think WRX's were geared for high speed racing compare to most of these other road cars, and I am not sure if STi is much better in that aspect, but I don't drive every day at 140MPH so it's ok.
But, no, almost nothing under $100K can keep up with even a mildly modded Supra in a rolling start.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
ya for the best legit no bs info on supras .. mkiv.com is your place. Thats where a good bit of the real supra owners get their info, as they have newsletters and such. Otherwise you'll end up having to sift through the crap from supraforums and places with 100 supra owners vs 10000 trolls pretending to be supra owners or supra haters.

Robert~

1 - 10 of 10 Posts