IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Story

On Saturday, January 3rd, 2009 my dad and I went to test drive a 2008 Aspen White STI Gold BBS + NAV. I had recently found out about the 0% financing and had always been somewhat intrigued by the STI. I wasn't quite sold on the looks of the '08 until I saw the one mentioned above in person. The moment I saw it I knew I wanted one and as we made our first turn out of the dealership parking lot on the test drive I knew that I was going to have an STI of my own very soon.

The lady at the dealership informed us that this STI was for sale at about $10k under MSRP. I let her know that I would be interested in trading in my '02 Audi A4 3.0 Quattro Tip but did not have time to have my trade in appraised that day.

My dad and I left the dealership and I began to think about purchasing the STI. The test would be my girlfriend's reaction...I picked her up from work and told her that I was going be buying a new car, she replied "I knew this was coming soon, it's been almost three years since you bought you A4..." Well, that was that, I was going to buy an STI.

First thing Monday morning I made an appointment with Tristan at Further Performance to have the intake, exhaust, and coilovers taken off of the A4 so I could trade it in. Luckily, he was able to get me in right away on Tuesday morning. Everything was falling in to place.

On Tuesday I woke up early to get the A4 to Further right when they opened at 8am. At about noon they were done. I called the lady that I had spoken with at the dealership and let her know that I would like to come in for the trade in appraisal, she informed me that Subaru had taken back their incentive and the STI I was interested in was now $5k more...upset, I decided to go forward with the appraisal anyways.

They offered about what I expected on the trade but was about $2k less than I owed on the A4. The STI was getting more and more expensive the minute! They informed me of what my monthly payment would be, $160 a month more than I expected...it was just too much. I was heartbroken, the STI just wasn't in the cards.

But, I was determined. I knew that there were three other '08 STI's in the Twin Cities Metro at three different dealers. All three were less expensive than the Aspen White that I had originally had my heart set on. There was a World Rallly Blue Mica Gold BBS + NAV, a Lightning Red Silver BBS, and an Aspen White.

I still liked the idea of a white car and emailed that dealer. We emailed back and forth a couple of times and worked out what the best price would be and made an appointment for Friday, January 9th at 10am to have the A4 appraised.

They made an offer but was a little less than I expected. I needed to think about it. A couple hours at work and I was done thinking, I emailed the sales person I had been working with and let her know that I wanted to buy the car and made an appointment to sign papers the next afternoon.

I showed up at the dealership to sign papers on Saturday, January 10th, 2009. There was one problem. It's January in Minnesota and the STI comes with summer tires. I needed winter wheels and I needed them fast! I placed an order with Tire Rack from the salesperson's computer. The new wheels would be shipped to the dealership and I was assured that I would be able to pick up my new ride the day that the wheels were delivered.

I signed all the paperwork and went on my way, taking the pics below with my cell phone on the way out. The A4 that I had driven for the past three years was no longer mine, it was basically a loaner until my winter wheels showed up.

Wednesday, January 14th. I saw that my Tire Rack order was out for delivery and took the day off of work. I picked up my new STI from the dealer that afternoon with 12 miles on it. Now I need to learn how to drive a stick...I put 100 miles on the STI that day and was fairly confident in my new shifting abilities.

2002 Ming Blue Pearl Audi A4 3.0 Quattro Tip:

Coilovers off and winter wheels on, the way it looked the last time I drove it:

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Mods:
Magnaflow Catback
COBB Catted Downpipe
COBB Heatshield
AEM Intake
COBB Access Port - Pro Tuned by Shane at DB Performance
RCE Yellows
Champion Motorsport RF33 Forged Wheels - 19x9 et34
Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 (245/35-19)
50% Tint (Hatch 35%)
Kartboy Front and Rear Endlinks
Racecomp Engineering Front and Rear Sway Bars
Perrin Shorty Antenna
Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD DVD Receiver
Infinity BassLink 200 Watt Powered 10" Subwoofer
Front and Rear DBA T3 Clubspec 4000 Series Rotors, Uni-Directional Slotted
Front and Rear Hawk HP Plus Brake Pads (stop on a dime but too loud for daily use for me...)
Front and Rear Hawk HPS Brake Pads (daily)
TechnaFit Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Beatrush Delrin Shift Knob
JPM Coachworks Steel Grey Alcantara Silver Stitching Shift and Brake Boots
Cusco Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Old Winter Wheels

17X8 Silver Painted MSW Type 14

235/45R17 General Altimax Arctic

Winter tires filled up with Nitrogen Friday, January 16th.

Ridin' dirty...winter mode:

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Very cool, supercooloptw! :cool:

Once you get comfortable shifting in traffic, then you get to play with heel-toe downshifting. Much more fun than any slushbox could be. :D

·
Registered
26,170 Posts
great story and nice write up. the sti is pretty easy to drive manual on especially with the super soft clutch im sure you will do fine :) congrats on the car looks like your having fun already

Josh

·
Registered
167 Posts
Congrats on the car man. I remember my first snow day. Everyone was having problems driving and I was having fun! Look into rally armor flaps if you want to keep the dirt and snow off the car for the most part. Plus it looks more of a rally car too. :]

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys!

Yeah, I think that I'll be ordering the Rally Armor Mudflaps pretty soon. Looks like a pretty straightforward DIY.

I also plan on getting the windows tinted and some tail light overlays, but not until it gets warm out.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Supercool! It's Soda Jerk from MN Audi.

Nice write-up; any mod plans?
Hey!

Just mud flaps, window tint, debadge the rear, and overlays for the tail lights. For the overlays I'll definitely wait until spring, probably the tint and debadge as well. I'll order the mud flaps pretty soon I think.

No go fast or suspension mods planned (well, maybe sways...) for a while but those stage two kits sure are tempting. Who knows, maybe once I get a few thousand miles on the car I'll get a tune.

BTW, two days ago I had my first 100% stall free day! Yesterday was zero stalls as well. :lol:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got rear ended today waiting at a stop light...

Not much damage, just a little hole in my bumper from the ladies license plate screw. Her or her insurance will cover the damage. Still pretty lame though...

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here are some pics that I took with my phone 2/26. The first two were taken at work around 5pm right before a quick trip up to Subway for dinner.

The last two were on the way home from work.

So far I am really liking the STI a lot. It's way different in the snow than the A4 was. The A4 was heavy and just plowed on through. The STI seems pretty light and kind of nimbly bounces around but is still unstoppable. Right after the last two pics I was going through an intersection just after the plows had gone through leaving a three foot snowbank for me to deal with, I got on the gas and flew right through, no issues at all :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Beautiful car. I'm moving to the Twin Cities in late May for my internship. Eagan, MN to be more specific. I will be driving around in my 06 WRB STi

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I bought a Perrin Stage 1 package from another member here about a week ago. It was delivered today. Installed the software about an hour ago, so far so good.

Not sure about the shorty antenna yet. Might install it, might not.

Also, the package came with an air filter, any benefits to using this instead of the stock?

BTW, I installed the Magnaflow cat-back a while ago, guess I never updated this thread with that...Looks and sounds pretty good IMO :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Woke up to my car sitting on a single concrete block this morning.

I managed to get a new set of wheels/tires from Erik at Morrie's Subaru. Here they are:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts