IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New StI in Sactown, CA.....White/Silver

Looking for advise on a replacement for the stock tires with something a little less extreme. I'm willing to trade off ultra high performance for high performance with some all season/ride characteristics.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
53 Posts
These are very good tires with good performance. They work in the snow and are gopod in the rain with little loss in dry weather performance.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Watch out

I'm really happy with my PZero Nero M+S. They've handled everything I've thrown at them and ride better than the 070s. I think they're quieter, too.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
As Slowride says, I wish I had the Neros M+S ... I'd prolly sell my RE070s for the Neros ...

These Ultra High Performance Summers look interesting and have good reviews over in TireRack...

BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW-2

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have the new NITTO NeoGen...high performance all-season. Looks like summer tires but it works fine thorugh this winter conditions.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Hey FIA-WRC,

I just looked at the Nitto website at those NeoGen's. They look awesome. It says they could be used in mud, I have been wanting a tire what would at least be ok if i go in dirt trails to have a little rally fun. Would you recommend this tire? It's the only one I could find that says anything about mud. I really don't care about the mud though, more just dry dirt. Before you mentioned those, I was looking at the continental conti extreme contact and michelin pilot sport A/S. They both look great but didn't say anything about off-road abilities. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

RC

·
Registered
454 Posts
joeyb said:
These are very good tires with good performance. They work in the snow and are gopod in the rain with little loss in dry weather performance.
Re: Pirelli P Zero Nero M + H

I don't think your subject showed up in the message.

I thought you were saying RE070's worked in snow! LOL

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
RCrown2 said:
I just looked at the Nitto website at those NeoGen's. They look awesome. It says they could be used in mud, I have been wanting a tire what would at least be ok if i go in dirt trails to have a little rally fun. Would you recommend this tire? It's the only one I could find that says anything about mud. I really don't care about the mud though, more just dry dirt. Before you mentioned those, I was looking at the continental conti extreme contact and michelin pilot sport A/S. They both look great but didn't say anything about off-road abilities. Any help would be appreciated.
As for mud, any tire labeled "M+S", like the PZero Nero M+S I have, is designed for Mud and Snow. I don't think M+S are any different than all seasons, though, so the Conti Extreme Contact and Pilot Sport A/S's should be fine in the dirt, too. Actually, I think the 070's would be OK on hard, dry dirt...haven't tried it, though.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Check out the Michelin Pilot Sport P2s (I think that is what they are called. Tire rack was having a secial at $167 a tire; supposed to be great performance, longevity, etc.)

I have no clue whether they are acceptable for the snow.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Hey slowride,

Thanks for info. My first choice was the continental's, but then i read about the pilot sport A/S's, and then to top it off the Nitto's. They all seem to be what I am looking for (ultimate performance on street and good traction for fun time in dirt). I have tried the 070's in the hard dirt and they really aren't that bad, but judging from the All season tread designs, it looks like they might grip better. Thanks again!

RC

·
Registered
575 Posts
Nivek-CA said:
Check out the Michelin Pilot Sport P2s (I think that is what they are called. Tire rack was having a secial at $167 a tire; supposed to be great performance, longevity, etc.)

I have no clue whether they are acceptable for the snow.
my friend has them on his S4 they are killer tires but they are very similar to the RE-070 so they are horrible in winter

·
Registered
304 Posts
DrEvyl said:
Mud and Snow = All Season

They're the same exact thing.
Certainly not. Operating temperature is important. Winter tires are designed NOT to turn to hockey pucks in very cold temperatures. Consequently, they will only last about a year if you use them during the summer. They burn up way too quickly and easily.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
googe said:
DrEvyl said:
Mud and Snow = All Season

They're the same exact thing.
Certainly not. Operating temperature is important. Winter tires are designed NOT to turn to hockey pucks in very cold temperatures. Consequently, they will only last about a year if you use them during the summer. They burn up way too quickly and easily.
In what way does that substantiate your claim that "M+S" means something different than "all season"?

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Kuhmo Ecsta MXs ... their reviews have shown to be as high as the S03s and whatnots and yet cost only $12X for 245/40ZR17s from tirerack (so like ~$108 or so for 225/45zr17s). Which is killer, as they do great in the rain and dry traction is spectacular too. Lovely ride and not a lot of noise. Great tires all around. I know I will be sticking with them for a while.

Robert~

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,521 Posts
I say they ammend that symbol to have a snoboarder or skier going down the slope.

That's what I think of when I see that. :p

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have Toyo Proxes T1-S' and like them very much. I have heard good things about the Kumho MX's, too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts