IW STi Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
I definitely want to know the results of your test, I think it's pretty cool you are taking the time to do this when most just say things because, well it's the internet haha. I hope this works even just a little bit, it's 107 out right now here in OKC, any little bit helps!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Cool product idea. If the results even show a 5 deg reduction in temp at high speed / prob worth it. Low speed 10 or more I'm in 4 sure

·
Registered
124 Posts
Im not sold. In the website photos it looks like it stops airflow to the rear of the intercooler altogether, and at low speeds it could cause more heatsoak due to hot angled fins on top of the intercooler. Also I just don't think it looks that good imo, but hey, whatever floats your boat

·
Registered
850 Posts
Any body know if this'll fit with a Seibon CW hood?
Yes, it should fit this hood since the scoops are integrated and the same size (factory vs. seibon).

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
recently got one for my 19 sti
pretty nice piece, good quality and it looks like its very functional, also i notice it can absorb the hits from small rocks that fly into hood scoop.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I seem to remember this testing being done years ago. (on a wrx but same principle) It was done merely by using tufting taped in a field all around the hood, then observed while driving at various speeds. The interesting conclusion was that the scoop is actually located in a "low pressure" zone, resulting in far less than optimal airflow "into" the scoop. At times there were zero or even negative "outflow" from the scoop.
The best scoop arrangement was a reverse scoop taking the indisputable high pressure from the base of the windshield directing it to the intercooler. This is a common setup on most high performance GM products and has been for years. Not counting NACA ducting can anyone think of a true high performance car with an air scoop located in a location such as ours? At that point the air is being accelerated exactly as in an airfoil over the top of the hood, and just as on a wing low pressure is being created there. While not a very scientific test, it made sense to me, though I never searched further for some actual aerodynamic studies if any were available. Further check out some of the fastest time attack sub's and what do you find...a new carbon hood with a reverse intake drawing from the base of the windshield! Of course intakes below the front edge of the hood experience very high pressure, above that edge on top of the hood facing forward not so much. While IMO it looks pretty cool, I suspect our stock hood scoops are mostly cosmetic, at best releasing some hot air from the engine bay. So that would render the IC air splitter kind of ineffective and not very useful.

·
Premium Member
2,621 Posts
I seem to remember this testing being done years ago. (on a wrx but same principle) It was done merely by using tufting taped in a field all around the hood, then observed while driving at various speeds. The interesting conclusion was that the scoop is actually located in a "low pressure" zone, resulting in far less than optimal airflow "into" the scoop. At times there were zero or even negative "outflow" from the scoop.
The best scoop arrangement was a reverse scoop taking the indisputable high pressure from the base of the windshield directing it to the intercooler. This is a common setup on most high performance GM products and has been for years. Not counting NACA ducting can anyone think of a true high performance car with an air scoop located in a location such as ours? At that point the air is being accelerated exactly as in an airfoil over the top of the hood, and just as on a wing low pressure is being created there. While not a very scientific test, it made sense to me, though I never searched further for some actual aerodynamic studies if any were available. Further check out some of the fastest time attack sub's and what do you find...a new carbon hood with a reverse intake drawing from the base of the windshield! Of course intakes below the front edge of the hood experience very high pressure, above that edge on top of the hood facing forward not so much. While IMO it looks pretty cool, I suspect our stock hood scoops are mostly cosmetic, at best releasing some hot air from the engine bay. So that would render the IC air splitter kind of ineffective and not very useful.
Did you really just say the hood scoop was cosmetic? :confused:

I have no idea how you could have possibly gotten results where airflow is coming OUT of the hoodscoop while driving, thats just nonsense. Sounds like either poor testing, or poor interpretation of the results. Air is NOT exiting the hoodscoop, thats just wrong.

·
Premium Member
5,335 Posts
My take:

Air flowing "up" (along?) the hood may or may not lower pressure than the current barometric pressure.But, it flows right into the scoop where it encounters a bend and a major restriction - your inter-cooler. What occurs there, inside the scoop, a large rise in pressure. A GD certainly "grabs" air. Just watch ones hood.

Oh wait, that's from all the air trying to get out - right?

·
Premium Member
5,335 Posts
My take:

Air flowing "up" (along?) the hood may or may not lower pressure than the current barometric pressure.But, it flows right into the scoop where it encounters a bend and a major restriction - your inter-cooler. What occurs there, inside the scoop, a large rise in pressure. A GD certainly "grabs" air. Just watch ones hood.

Oh wait, that's from all the air trying to get out - right?

·
Premium Member
5,335 Posts
My take:

Air flowing "up" (along?) the hood may or may not have lower pressure than the current barometric pressure. But, it flows right into the scoop where it encounters a bend and a major restriction, your inter-cooler. What occurs there, inside the scoop is a large rise in pressure. A GD certainly "grabs" air. Just watch ones hood.

Oh wait, that's from all the air trying to get out - right? :lol::lol::lol:

41 - 58 of 58 Posts