IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up this splitter for my IC from Subtle Solutions. It was the only piece I didnt have in my engine bay that they made so I figured what the heck. Below is what I thought of the splitter for others to see.

I purchased the splitter from Subtle-Solutions @ this link Subtle Solutions

It was shipped fast and I had it within a couple of days after I ordered it, Opened the box and as you can see it was packed very well...

Super Safe...

They supply new bolts and washers if you want to use them...

Unpacked and laid on the floor...

Upside down...

Different angle...

Install was a piece of cake... finished in 5 minutes...

Engine Bay before Install...

Take the Left IC Bolt out and everything simply stays in place and stays lined up...

Take the Right IC Bolt out as well...

Splitter fits nice and snug with no bolts in place. The red padding gives it a safe way to sit snug on the surface...

Pretty simple.... Put the Bolt in the hole and tighten it down on both sides...

Bolts in and tight...

Installed Product.... as you can see I placed the supplied decal on this piece as I have done with all there products

Angled down to see straight on profile...

No Fitment Issues at all... This is with the hood shut looking and it threw the hood scoop...

A little closer and the flash to show the dirty car as well...

And finally the full view of the engine bay after install....

Thoughts:
Just like the other pieces that I dressed up the bay with from Subtle, Its a nicely made sturdy piece of lightweight aluminum that has a good powder coat black finish. Best of all, its made in the USA! Quality and Fitment was great and the install was super easy.

Now I've driven with it on the car for a little over a week and I've had multiple long drives in the recent 90+ degree weather. I know its hard to back claims from the famous butt dyno so take this as you may, but even with the heat the car never seemed to have any effects from the heat. I think this splitter does its job and distributes the fresh air to the entire surface of the IC. I do have a trip coming up where Ill be in the car for 6+ hours and I can report back anything more I conclude.

Id recommend this piece to anyone that wants one of those simple quick mods that is quick and wants to dress the bay up and give each fin on the IC the air it deserves.

Just to add, I have had the other pieces for close to a year now and there made out of the same material and per the pictures you can see that they are still in perfect condition. So these pieces are built to last and look good for a long time!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Why not just get a fmic? And I'm pretty sure the TM will utilize its entire surface area without a splitter on it. Sounds like it's more aesthetics than anything else.

·
Registered
850 Posts
(08-12) Impreza (STI Only) - Intercooler Splitter

What is it?

Subtle Solutions: (08-12) Impreza (STI Specific) - Intercooler Splitter was designed to help divert air traveling through the integrated hoodscoop evenly over the top of the Stock "STI" TMIC (will also fit some aftermarket Intercoolers). This splitter mounts directly on top of your TMIC using the (2) M8 stock mounting bols. The splitter divides the entering air into 3 equal sections and allows for optimum flow onto the intercooler.

More information...

Your intercooler acts like a radiator and cools down the heated air coming out of your turbocharger right before it enters your engine. And like a radiator, the intercooler depends on a constant flow of outside air from your hood scoop at its surface to keep the intake temperatures lower.

Colder air is denser than hot air, and can be compressed more efficiently, resulting in more power and less detonation. If you have ever pulled over after a spirited drive and felt your intercooler, you would notice that it can get pretty hot. This is partly due to the ineffective design of the factory metal splitter inside your hood scoop. With the way the factory splitter is designed, air entering through the hood scoop is only directed over about 50% of the intercooler’s surface area.

The Intercooler Splitter has specially angled fins that rise into your hood scoop. These fins collect incoming air and disperse it evenly over the entire surface area of your intercooler, dramatically increasing intercooler efficiency. This increase in intercooler efficiency will result in lower intake temperatures, and more power! The improvements seen make this a perfect upgrade, even for a car with a factory intercooler and hood scoop.

Specs:
  • CAD Designed
  • CNC Laser Cut
  • CNC Pressed
  • Lightweight Aluminum - Powder Coated (Textured Black)
  • Stainless Steel hardware (washers)
  • Made in USA
Designed to fit:
  • (08-12) Impreza (STI Only) TMIC's (may fit some aftermarket TMIC's)
  • (08-12) Impreza STI Hood (may fit some aftermarket hoods)

·
Registered
398 Posts
"If you have ever pulled over after a spirited drive and felt your intercooler, you would notice that it can get pretty hot. This is partly due to the ineffective design of the factory metal splitter inside your hood scoop. With the way the factory splitter is designed, air entering through the hood scoop is only directed over about 50% of the intercooler’s surface area."

Heat creates a high pressure pocket that restricts the cold air attempting to enter that scoop, which kind of contradicts why these tmic splitters wouldn't work. The splitters for the fmic serve their purpose, while this is obviously a gimic to make your engine bay look sporty. Put a fmic on it and replace the hood with an rs one and you're good. What you should focus on is how to prevent heat soak on the tm due to turbo location.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why not just get a fmic? And I'm pretty sure the TM will utilize its entire surface area without a splitter on it. Sounds like it's more aesthetics than anything else.
Well lets use some Common Sense here....basically because I'm not ready to drop 4 digits.... Of course a FMIC would be better than a splitter and to even compare the 2 makes no sense at all... Oh well thanks for your opinions, I respect them!:tup:

(08-12) Impreza (STI Only) - Intercooler Splitter

What is it?

Subtle Solutions: (08-12) Impreza (STI Specific) - Intercooler Splitter was designed to help divert air traveling through the integrated hoodscoop evenly over the top of the Stock "STI" TMIC (will also fit some aftermarket Intercoolers). This splitter mounts directly on top of your TMIC using the (2) M8 stock mounting bols. The splitter divides the entering air into 3 equal sections and allows for optimum flow onto the intercooler.

More information...

Your intercooler acts like a radiator and cools down the heated air coming out of your turbocharger right before it enters your engine. And like a radiator, the intercooler depends on a constant flow of outside air from your hood scoop at its surface to keep the intake temperatures lower.

Colder air is denser than hot air, and can be compressed more efficiently, resulting in more power and less detonation. If you have ever pulled over after a spirited drive and felt your intercooler, you would notice that it can get pretty hot. This is partly due to the ineffective design of the factory metal splitter inside your hood scoop. With the way the factory splitter is designed, air entering through the hood scoop is only directed over about 50% of the intercooler’s surface area.

The Intercooler Splitter has specially angled fins that rise into your hood scoop. These fins collect incoming air and disperse it evenly over the entire surface area of your intercooler, dramatically increasing intercooler efficiency. This increase in intercooler efficiency will result in lower intake temperatures, and more power! The improvements seen make this a perfect upgrade, even for a car with a factory intercooler and hood scoop.

Specs:
  • CAD Designed
  • CNC Laser Cut
  • CNC Pressed
  • Lightweight Aluminum - Powder Coated (Textured Black)
  • Stainless Steel hardware (washers)
  • Made in USA
Designed to fit:
  • (08-12) Impreza (STI Only) TMIC's (may fit some aftermarket TMIC's)
  • (08-12) Impreza STI Hood (may fit some aftermarket hoods)
Thanks for posting that info in here for people to see!! Great Job once again on this product and the quality customer service!!

"If you have ever pulled over after a spirited drive and felt your intercooler, you would notice that it can get pretty hot. This is partly due to the ineffective design of the factory metal splitter inside your hood scoop. With the way the factory splitter is designed, air entering through the hood scoop is only directed over about 50% of the intercooler’s surface area."

Heat creates a high pressure pocket that restricts the cold air attempting to enter that scoop, which kind of contradicts why these tmic splitters wouldn't work. The splitters for the fmic serve their purpose, while this is obviously a gimic to make your engine bay look sporty. Put a fmic on it and replace the hood with an rs one and you're good. What you should focus on is how to prevent heat soak on the tm due to turbo location.
Once again comparing thousands of dollars to 2 bills just doesnt really work... I agree with your point that FMIC is alot better for performance and getting cool air but your not really comparing apples and oranges, your comparing apples and origami....lol

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
i think i posted same request on nasioc long ago. if you provide us more scientific data(temperature value and etc) to back up this theory i would buy it in a heart beat. I can't believe this helps any.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I think the older STIs had a splitter because the aero of the hood and scoop required them to have one. I believe on our cars with the new hood design a splitter isn't necessary.

If it works then great, but its one of those things that is really tough to put hard facts around.

For 2 bills I would probably buy a larger heat shield, turbo blanket, and gold tape to stop what causes most of the heat soak and ultimately kills performance, having the turbo right under the IC.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I think I'm gonna give it a shot and hand fabricate mine. Seems easy enough all i need is sheet aluminum, a few tools, nuts, bolts and a 6 pack of beer. Of course I gotta mock it up with cardboard first to make sure everything is the way i want it.

I lied... I think i'm just gonna go with the 6 pack and save my money to buy one. Subtles product is as perfect as it gets.

·
Registered
850 Posts
subtle solutions make excellent products. i have their ashtray delete plate and i LOVE it. holds my boost controller :)
:)

We greatly appreciate your business and (+) Feedback!

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think I'm gonna give it a shot and hand fabricate mine. Seems easy enough all i need is sheet aluminum, a few tools, nuts, bolts and a 6 pack of beer. Of course I gotta mock it up with cardboard first to make sure everything is the way i want it.

I lied... I think i'm just gonna go with the 6 pack and save my money to buy one. Subtles product is as perfect as it gets.
Good Stuff! I cracked up!

·
Registered
670 Posts
FMIC eventually after I build block and slap in bigger turbo. Stock TMIC with my setup is just fine and a diverter/splitter will optimize air circulation over the fins. True story bro! Man I cant wait till my next build!

·
Registered
245 Posts
I bought one, too bad you can't check IAT after the TMIC from the AP to see the difference. The AP is measuring at the MAS in the intake.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts