IW STi Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sup guys, ive been reading these forums for a little while now, so i finally decided to register :wink: anyways, got back from the dealer yesterday for my service and asked him about mods on the sti. he told me anything that changes the way the car performs stock, will void the warranty. now does someone want to back him up on this????? i was just planning to go the downpipe, intake route.

·
Registered
382 Posts
well there is no voiding of warranties, unless you move outside of NA and take the car, but from the sounds of it, they are going to deny your claims with any mods. They have to prove that the mods caused the problem, but noone ever sues over a warranty. Just call around to the subaru places in your area and ask what they're policy is on modifications, then, take it there for warranty work.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Amber LEDs?

thanks man, so i can take my sti to any dealer for work on warranty issues? if so, i wasnt aware of that. thanks again

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
There is also no such thing as voiding the "entire" warranty. The modifications you perform may void a specific area of the warranty however. For example, if you get a down pipe, it will not void the warranty on other engine parts or let's say the transmission. If dealer refuses to work on the car claiming voided warranty, they have to prove that the modification directly caused any problems you are claiming under warranty. Usually, if it is something serious, this may involve a quick call from the appropriate lawyer and the dealer will start working on the vehicle quite rapidly :)

I think there is a list somewhere in these forums of dealers that are relatively easy on people with modifications. If not, check the local forums. In the Maryland area, Fitzgerald is probably the one I would take the car with modfications. It would involve some discussions with the manager sometimes, but generally they are good.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah thats what i have been told usually, but when the dealer told me about voiding my entire warranty, i thought he was on something :D thanks alot guys

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Re: Buying an STI Tomorrow but i can't decide on Color

dmacalot said:
sup guys, ive been reading these forums for a little while now, so i finally decided to register :wink: anyways, got back from the dealer yesterday for my service and asked him about mods on the sti. he told me anything that changes the way the car performs stock, will void the warranty. now does someone want to back him up on this????? i was just planning to go the downpipe, intake route.
That is basically correct. If you change anything that affects performance and then a part related to that goes, you are out of luck.

-st

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
dmacalot said:
thanks man, so i can take my sti to any dealer for work on warranty issues? if so, i wasnt aware of that. thanks again
The warranty is through Subaru not the local dealer. The local dealer has no impact on warranty service unless you have an agreement with them where they agree to be dishonest and not report modifications on the car to Subaru.

-st

·
Registered
128 Posts
[email protected], is correct talked to dealerships the modification has to be the direct cause of the malfunction. Kinda lucky here dealership I bought my car from supports track days and sometimes pays entrance fees and provides lunch for everybody. Service sometimes looks the other way when car is modded all depends. They have worked on my cars with mods.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Places to get the oil changed...

Singletrack said:
dmacalot said:
The warranty is through Subaru not the local dealer. The local dealer has no impact on warranty service unless you have an agreement with them where they agree to be dishonest and not report modifications on the car to Subaru.

-st
Any Dealership has the right to claim damage is caused by modification beyond the stock application. There are dealerships that are "mod-friendly" that arent dishonest really, but just understand that shit breaks and dont go looking for excuses to be jackasses about it. Theres no way that your downpipe would cause an issue with the drivetrain, but they could "claim" that it caused a problem. If you choose to fight it, they have to PROVE that it caused the damage without a doubt.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
there are mods that will void the warranty. specifically ones that effect emissions. if you put on parts that violate emmisions laws in the state you live in then you are really out of luck then. of course thats why certain manufacturers spend big money to have thier parts certified by the CA air resourse board. if its C.A.R.B approved then your dealer should have no reason to gripe. but i do agree that it is best to look for mod friendly dealers/shops.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Telling a dealer your modification did not cause a problem and making him "prove" the modification caused a problem is not in the cards. You can bring a copy of the Magnusson Moss act into the service department, scream until you're blue in the face, and unless you have a gun, they are not going to care what you say.

Then you need to hire a lawyer and the last time I looked, lawyers charged more money than mechanics for their work.

SOA voided my WRX warranty (drivetrain, suspension, and brakes), in writing, soon after the SOA district rep took a look at the car - and it was the right thing to do. Very little of the suspension was stock, the brakes were even less so, and I had an aftermarket computer and uppipe.

The moral of the story is; If you're going to play, you've got to pay. Unless you commit fraud and remove aftermarket parts before you visit the dealer for service, the dealer, stronly backed by SOA, will tell you he's not going to provide service.

I'm certain there are some of you who will strongly disagree with me, but I've "been there and done that". While i am not an attorney, I make my living writing and administering very complex warranties - for the construction of power plants costing hundreds of millions of dollars. I believe there will be and have been some exceptions to the rule in regard to warranties, but in general practice, you'll find what I have written is true.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
CSDominion said:
Singletrack said:
dmacalot said:

-st
Any Dealership has the right to claim damage is caused by modification beyond the stock application. There are dealerships that are "mod-friendly" that arent dishonest really, but just understand that **** breaks and dont go looking for excuses to be jackasses about it. Theres no way that your downpipe would cause an issue with the drivetrain, but they could "claim" that it caused a problem. If you choose to fight it, they have to PROVE that it caused the damage without a doubt.
A downpipe can cause all sorts of issues with the drivetrain. As an example, since you have now decreased the backpressure behind the turbo, it is going to spin up at a different rate. It might spike on shifts, or creep in certain gears. Depending on what happens, the stock ECM *might* be able to adjust fuel trim to compensate. Then again, it might not. Either way, you are making a modification that will affect the air and fuel into the engine. I don't see how you can say that it couldn't affect the drivetrain.

Now there are certainly ways to do this safely, but it isn't up to the local dealer or Subaru to verify that you modified your car properly. When you buy a car, you are buying a system. The car has various warranties on all of its systems. You are screwing with those systems when you change out components, and as a result jeopardizing the warranty.

-st

1 - 13 of 13 Posts