IW STi Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just need to rant on something here. Why oh why did Subaru use traditional wheels weights on our rims that will leave scratch marks after the 1st tire change? They could have used the weights that stick on the inside of the rims just as easily. This kind of thing you think would just be common sense.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
If you look at how close the Brembo calipers are to the inner rim, then you should see why. There's just not enough space to clear inner wheel weights. I believe Subaru would have used the wheel weights on the inside of the STi rims if it was possible.

-STiLL

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
6.5 in rear door and 5.25 in rear deck

STiLLWILL said:
If you look at how close the Brembo calipers are to the inner rim, then you should see why. There's just not enough space to clear inner wheel weights. I believe Subaru would have used the wheel weights on the inside of the STi rims if it was possible.

-STiLL

Inner wheel weights are not very big. Next time I'm under the car I'll look but I highly doubt the Brembo's are that close. This would be good info to know though because I was planning to switch to inner wheel weights at my 1st tire change.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I also thought it was pretty lame that Subaru used traditional wheel weights. I am using Rota Tarmac IIs with my winter tires and had no problem with hidden (stick on) wheel weights and clearance. I took a look myself and I am pretty confident that you could make these work with the BBS wheels as well.

-Nick

·
Registered
51 Posts
Tonight I left my winter rims and tires at the tire place to get mounted. He originally had said he would mount the weights on the inside. I was fine with it, but as I drove away I remembered the big brakes.

I went back to point them out to him and he measured the space there, and it wasn't enough for the weights. So he decided he would have to put them on the outside (like the stock ones).

I don't know how low profile the weights can be, but when there is only a few millimeters of room between the calipers and wheels, I wouldn't want to chance making it even smaller.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the BBS rim is 7.5" wide right? I know the Brembo caliper is not as wide as the wheel is. Why not just mount the weights on the edge facing in? Seems like it would work to me. The weights I've run on my aftermarket rims in the past were about 1/4" in size. I still need to slide under the car to check things out.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I just installed Tire Rack's ASA K3 wheels (+53 0ffset same as BBSs, I think) with Dunlop M2's and the wheels are balanced with stick on inside weights...neatly done and not contacting wheel.

·
Registered
858 Posts
another rant are the rather cheap rubber valve stems.

spend an extra $10 to get the great looking metal ones...

·
Registered
65 Posts
STi_This said:
Why not just mount the weights on the edge facing in? Seems like it would work to me.
Because now you would have a Two Dimensional balance on the rim. It would not fix any side-to-side problems. Dynamic Balancing machines balance the rim on 3 dimensions and require weights on both sides of the rim.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts