IW STi Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine recently took his Trans am ram air with a ls2 swap in it to Sebring. He wants to start getting in the racing scene and has to drive with a instructor a few times before he will be official. To make a long story short.

His car only lasted about 26 minutes on the track, before his tires and brakes began to give. He has springs with oem struts and upgraded pads and front rotors. Which made me wonder how a stock STI would do on that track. Would it last longer on Sebring or around the same. Also you guys that have upgraded brakes and tires. How long do you last at Sebring before you have to pit?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Have no idea about sebring, but just got done with instructional race class at Road America. 4 20 min sessions with 1 40 min session. My friend had brought his c4 vette there as well.

We both had new rotors and pads (red ebc's on my 05 sti). He didn't really get to break in his pads and rotors. (I drove mine about 1,000 miles before track day) Result...he had to pull in at the last session both days, and his front rotors and pads are shot. On the sti... rotors turned blue, highest instant read temp after cool down 1/2 lap 637 F. Pads still look good. Was running BF KDW 2 which wore at edges, but air temp was cold 42 f in morning session 52 f in afternoon.

·
Registered
304 Posts
A friend of mine recently took his Trans am ram air with a ls2 swap in it to Sebring. He wants to start getting in the racing scene and has to drive with a instructor a few times before he will be official. To make a long story short.

His car only lasted about 26 minutes on the track, before his tires and brakes began to give. He has springs with oem struts and upgraded pads and front rotors. Which made me wonder how a stock STI would do on that track. Would it last longer on Sebring or around the same. Also you guys that have upgraded brakes and tires. How long do you last at Sebring before you have to pit?
You say his tires started to give...what tires were they?

Also, the brakes on f-bodies are horrible. When I had mine, they were terrible on just an autocross course, I couldnt even imagine on a road course. If he had an LS2 swap, he was making much bigger power than before, meaning that his brakes were even less adequate due to even higher braking speeds. Just upgraded pads and fancy rotors arent going to help him as much as he needs. I would say a big brake kit (including calipers) and true track pads would be necessary to come close to adequately stop a 3600 lb f-body.

For you, you will have brake issues in your STi if you run the stock pads hard, but more than likely you'll be good to go your first time out since you'll basically still be learning.

My point is, your car is much more ready for the track than his overpowered f-body. Power/handling/braking balance is key...you have it, he doesn't.

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
It depends on the tires and brakes. The stickier your tires and the more power you have, the faster you're going to kill your brakes. Your driving habits tend to determine overall tire life.

I find that I can easily go for a 30 minute session without any cool down laps. But bear in mind that I'm not pushing my car to an inch of it's life. I focus on consistency and speed rather than just flogging the car. You can be very fast without being abusive.

I've found that the main place where we can seriously kill our tires is by trying to do too much when entering a turn. The simple solution is to never trail brake. Always brake in a straight line and have your foot almost all the way off the brakes when you start to turn in. Do this and it won't matter if your tires are screaming through the rest of the turn and you come out with the tail wagging, your tires will last.

In the case of your friend's Trans Am he may have a genuine problem with his brakes and tires not being sufficient for the power and weight of the car. In that case the first thing I would do is try to find some way to direct air at his front brakes, and for the tires I would upgrade to a mild DOT-R like the Nitto NT01 or Toyo RA-1. However, a really aggressive standard DOT sport tire like the Bridgestone RE-01R would likely be sufficient if he doesn't have a second set of wheels.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts