IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wussup i went to subaru today to get my oil change bc i just hit 1k, but the reception guy and the subaru tech guy, who does the oil change, said to wait untill 3k to get it change. I told him that i read on this sti forum that alot of ppl got it change at 1k and bc of letting the metal brushings out and he was like no. The metal brushing is so miniscule. he said it wont help or hurt the car to change at 1k miles but its better to just let the engine break in untill 3k than change. he was convince to tell me to WAIT and not waste my money. SHould i listen to this guy or should i go back and get it change. ANy input would be great.

·
Registered
454 Posts
That's the same thing they told me... and my thought is they're the ones who will replace the engine if it blows up.. so if they say don't change it, I'm not changing it.

·
Registered
759 Posts
My advice would be to take it to someone who wants your business. I generally treat dealers like hospitals. I stay away from them unless I or my car is CODE BLUE.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Few Words

AMEN my babay is only touched and loved by me! ;-)

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Change that oil! the tech manual(not the owners manual) says to change at 900 miles. for your first oil change.....i did mine at 850...then 1500....now every 1000 until i go synthetic

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
salisburyv said:
Change that oil! the tech manual(not the owners manual) says to change at 900 miles. for your first oil change.....i did mine at 850...then 1500....now every 1000 until i go synthetic
Page please? I cannot find that in any documentation I have.

I agree with the tech by the way.

-st

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
i'm looking it up now...just a little backround first...my best friend works in the parts department at the dealership i bought my car from...he told me to change at 900-1000 miles....and then at 3000...but he also said based on the way i drive...i should change the oil and filter more frequently...1500 miles. everybody is entitled to their opinion, that's what these forums are for, I wont split hairs over oil changes, if your tech said to do it...then feel free to do it, the tech at my dealer begged me not to really get on the car till after 4000miles...he said with the kind of compression and active valving system thats on this car, he wanted me to play it safe. I listened until i got out of the parking lot then drove how i felt...not redlining it all over the place, but i would get it up to 6000 rpm very often. At 14852 mile i have no trouble with my engine(thank the lord!). I'm just trying to help by recounting my own expierence(spelling). which to this point has been great. I have not had to add any oil in between changes....which i do between 1000-1200 miles. sorry i didnt mean to offend anyone

·
Registered
243 Posts
endless debate...

the bottom line is there's nothing you can possibly hurt by changing it early, it's regular old oil not anything special. the biggest thing is do not use synthetic until at least 3k.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
i've had my car since June, only have 3000 miles on it but been through two oil changes. oil changes are time sensitive as well as based on mileage. if you drive alot and put 3000miles on your car before 3 months you should be fine. if your like me and don't do all that much driving then the more often the better. sounds counter productive but its true.

·
Registered
19 Posts
This is quite a serious topic I can see.. But here are my thoughts. The two things you want to watch out for on oil are 1) Particulate contamination, and 2) Viscosity breakdown.

It's probably a good idea to change the oil at 1k, because the engine is wearing in, all the bearing surfaces are 'adjusting' to eachother, and most of this is done at startup, when there's a very small film of oil to keep the metal parts from rubbing one another. Hence that's why they say that 90% of the wear to an engine is done at startup. I think the subbie tek is probably right, the oil does get filtered after being picked up from the wet sump, through the pump, through the filter, then to the system. So there's probably very little difference between waiting till 3k. However, most oil filters do have a pressure relief vavle for when the oil is cold, and very viscous. So you probably want to take extra care to let your baby warm up before blasting off. 2) It takes time and moisture contamination for viscosity breakdown to occur. Therefore, it's really not an issue for the initial oil change. If you're gonna be parking your baby for more then a couple weeks, change your oil, air that gets into the crankcase carrys moisture with it, which gets into your oil, so watch out for that.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
FROM THE (other) HORSE'S MOUTH...

I let my older brother take a gander at this thread and he basically went :eek: when he saw the 3000 mile FIRST oil change being mentioned. He is one of master Subaru Tech's over at the dealership I bought my STi from(lucky bastard I am) and basically he said no matter what driving style you have, it's almost a given that your first oil change should be within the first 1100-1500 miles...NOT 3000. He also said that there's nothing wrong with changing your oil a few hundred miles prior to those figures. Hope this helps

-Matt

·
Registered
84 Posts
I don't think it really matters all that much. I going to do mine in 3 months or 3K miles which ever comes first. Because I got conned into buying the pre-paid service plan and I got try to get my money's worth out of it.

Also the way I see it, any Subaru engine can last 150K+ miles, without any special treatment. By then (7-10 years from now), JDM engines with 35K miles will be had for $600. Its not like the 2.5 STI engine is rare or something, Subaru is putting that engine into most of its product line.

So who really cares if you engine can go 250K vs 150K miles, it won't cost much to just replace it when the time comes. You can spend more money trying to baby your car, than just taking care of it as described in the owners manual.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Unless you plan on putting the engine in yourself, you're also probably looking at a couple grand for the install on a new engine....

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
STiLLWILL said:
FROM THE (other) HORSE'S MOUTH...

I let my older brother take a gander at this thread and he basically went :eek: when he saw the 3000 mile FIRST oil change being mentioned. He is one of master Subaru Tech's over at the dealership I bought my STi from(lucky ******* I am) and basically he said no matter what driving style you have, it's almost a given that your first oil change should be within the first 1100-1500 miles...NOT 3000. He also said that there's nothing wrong with changing your oil a few hundred miles prior to those figures. Hope this helps

-Matt
People, bottom line, the ONLY documentation and reliable source on oil changes is your manual and service handout (if your dealer gave you one - it just has service intervals etc.) on when it should be changed. ANYTHING else is unconfirmed rumors and/or opinion.

To give you an idea, here is all the stuff I've heard:

1. If you change your oil before 3k, you must sign a waiver because it could void your warranty.
2. The engine is broken in for 500 miles at the factory.
3. The engine uses break-in oil.
4. The engine does not use break-in oil.
5. Switching to synthetic before 10-12k miles is awful and will not allow the piston rings to seat. (One of my favorites, I have to admit)
6. You should change your oil at 500, 1000, 1500, 2000, 3000, miles etc.
7. You should drive the car hard right out of the factory or it will not "learn" how to drive properly.

...and probably about another dozen that I can't think of right now.

What did I do? I broke the car in as recommended in the manual (below 4k for the first 1k miles). After the initial 1k miles, I went up to 5k RPM for about a week, then 6k the following, then 7k or whatever the week after that. Of course I broke the rules every once in a while : )

It was about a 1/2 qt low at 2200 miles. I added 5w30 dino oil (Castrol if you care). I changed the oil at 3000 miles to M1 5w30 synth. I now have 5700 miles on the car and it has not burned any oil from the 3000 mile change.

-st

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
oil does'nt last forever. conventionals tend to break down sooner than synthetics and all oils eventually lose thier ability to properly lubricate and engine. DMPI has a rather fatalist view of his STI. he figures he's going to swap in a JDM motor anyway so he does'nt care if he does'nt get 150,000 miles out of his current one. to be honest i don't see any of us getting that many miles out of our STi motors, frequent oil changes or not. its going to be interesting to see exactly how long our motors can go and still maintain the 300 horsepower level.

·
Registered
84 Posts
crashsti said:
oil does'nt last forever. conventionals tend to break down sooner than synthetics and all oils eventually lose thier ability to properly lubricate and engine. DMPI has a rather fatalist view of his STI. he figures he's going to swap in a JDM motor anyway so he does'nt care if he does'nt get 150,000 miles out of his current one. to be honest i don't see any of us getting that many miles out of our STi motors, frequent oil changes or not. its going to be interesting to see exactly how long our motors can go and still maintain the 300 horsepower level.
The STI engine should be quite durable. Its got good internals. It's a 2.5 L so it don't have to rev high to get ample torque. Its got a low 8.2 compression. Stay off the boost and the revs, and it should be as durable as any Subaru 2.5L engine. However if you choose to abuse you engine...well that's your choice.

·
Registered
304 Posts
people really arent giving subaru very much credit, I find it hard to believe the engineers and techs would allow SOA to print documentation for every customer that has horribly false information. there must have been some technical review of the owners manual, if not, there would surely be a correction out by now.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
crashsti wrote:

The STI engine should be quite durable. Its got good internals. It's a 2.5 L so it don't have to rev high to get ample torque. Its got a low 8.2 compression. Stay off the boost and the revs, and it should be as durable as any Subaru 2.5L engine. However if you choose to abuse you engine...well that's your choice.
i'm a bit confused here. Stay off the boost and the revs? did you actually say that? maybe my eyes are getting old and i just read that wrong...nope...you actually said it. man, why on earth did you buy the STI? maybe you would've been better served by something a little less edgy?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts