IW STi Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm looking to get either a WRX or STI, but can't afford a brand new one. So I'm looking for a used one. Long story short, I have a limited budget and wanting to get a good deal. When I search on different websites there's a variety from 1k miles all the way up to 106k miles.
My Dilemma is this. I grew up thinking Subaru's are reliable when taken care up and properly maintained. Is this true? Also, does higher milage matter? I live in a snowy environment so hence why I'm more leaning towards an STI. mainly it's AWD system and Limited Slip Differentials.
Currently have a FWD Kia Forte which does Didadly SQUAT in the snow. Currently as I type this it's snowing just shy of 2inch and I can promise that car wont drive down my 30ft driveway.
Anyway, if I buy a WRX or STI, does it matter if it has 80Kish miles or should it just bite the bullet and spend the extra money for one that's 5-8k more, but with <20kish miles?

I Know about the Subaru infamous ring land failures and all that good jazz. I plan on modifying it this summer with new internals after I get used to the car and decided whether or not I really wanna keep it for the rest of my life.
WRX's/STI's are like my obtainable dream car. But never really owned one or whatnot. So I ask you! The Subaru Community LOL

Thanks for the help. I appreciate the advice

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
If you are going to mod with new internals, your plan is perfect. Buy a used car with say 50-100K on it. What you care most about is having a good body with no rust and good interior. Less modding might be better, unless the mods are ones you want. Do it this way well and you will have your dream car!!! It is exactly what I did. Bought at 94K - Signifcant mods this year even at 235K!!! (rebuilt trans with long ratios - see my post).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, I'm looking to get either a WRX or STI, but can't afford a brand new one. So I'm looking for a used one. Long story short, I have a limited budget and wanting to get a good deal. When I search on different websites there's a variety from 1k miles all the way up to 106k miles. 192.168.1.254
My Dilemma is this. I grew up thinking Subaru's are reliable when taken care up and properly maintained. Is this true? Also, does higher milage matter? I live in a snowy environment so hence why I'm more leaning towards an STI. mainly it's AWD system and Limited Slip Differentials.
Currently have a FWD Kia Forte which does Didadly SQUAT in the snow. Currently as I 10.0.0.0.1 type this it's snowing just shy of 2inch and I can promise that car wont drive down my 30ft driveway.
Anyway, if I buy a WRX or STI, does it matter if it has 80Kish miles or should it just bite the bullet and spend t hotmail.com he extra money for one that's 5-8k more, but with <20kish miles?

I Know about the Subaru infamous ring land failures and all that good jazz. I plan on modifying it this summer with new internals after I get used to the car and decided whether or not I really wanna keep it for the rest of my life.
WRX's/STI's are like my obtainable dream car. But never really owned one or whatnot. So I ask you! The Subaru Community LOL

Thanks for the help. I appreciate the advice
issue solved!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Maint is expensive. Most owners cheap out especially if they aren't keeping the car long term. It's a risk unless you have a garage and wrenching skills. Or $$.

A car with 100,000km might not have some key thing's done that will hurt your wallet in near future. Tranny fluid, diff fluid, spark plugs, timing belt, fuel filter, wheel bearings, brake calipers all come to mind.

If the car has been tuned or modded the reliability is gone and risk is high. EJ motors aren't known for high mileage unless you keep them stock. Subie bro's will tell you replacment is cheap and commonly done. They're just trying to justify the bad luck/decisions they came into.

A wrx is a much more responsible choice and DI engine creates a ton of torque.

I own a MY18 STI, boring slow in summer, a blast to drive in winter (besides gound clearance) has cost me thousands in maint and i'm only at 94,000km. The major items haven't even come up yet (one's I mentioned above) and am considering trading in before the 160,000km warranty is up. Winter tires are $1500-1800 cdn. 93 octane unless you dont mind a rougher reduced power 91. 10.5L/100km highway 14.1L/100km city means $80-85 fill up on a 60Ltank, often. I'm at 10.2L/100km lifetime.

Point is this is a slow, expensive car to own, but it's got a great awd, manual, and rumble. Non fanboy information hope it helps your choice.

·
Registered
974 Posts
They are just like any other car.

You keep them stock, do the maintenance and drive them like a normal car and they are fine. if they break,you fix it and/or get rid of it. All of my Subarus have been reliable unless I fucked with them.

Sometimes they blow up, but usually its because the owner was doing some dumb shit like highway pulls racing diesel trucks(I'm referring to me)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Maint is expensive. Most owners cheap out especially if they aren't keeping the car long term. It's a risk unless you have a garage and wrenching skills. Or $$.

A car with 100,000km might not have some key thing's done that will hurt your wallet in near future. Tranny fluid, diff fluid, spark plugs, timing belt, fuel filter, wheel bearings, brake calipers all come to mind.

If the car has been tuned or modded the reliability is gone and risk is high. EJ motors aren't known for high mileage unless you keep them stock. Subie bro's will tell you replacment is cheap and commonly done. They're just trying to justify the bad luck/decisions they came into.

A wrx is a much more responsible choice and DI engine creates a ton of torque.

I own a MY18 STI, boring slow in summer, a blast to drive in winter (besides gound clearance) has cost me thousands in maint and i'm only at 94,000km. The major items haven't even come up yet (one's I mentioned above) and am considering trading in before the 160,000km warranty is up. Winter tires are $1500-1800 cdn. 93 octane unless you dont mind a rougher reduced power 91. 10.5L/100km highway 14.1L/100km city means $80-85 fill up on a 60Ltank, often. I'm at 10.2L/100km lifetime.

Point is this is a slow, expensive car to own, but it's got a great awd, manual, and rumble. Non fanboy information hope it helps your choice.
In what Universe is a car that goes from 0 to 60 MPH in 4 seconds slow? What is your daily driver, a jet dragster? I’ve had my 2005 Sti for 15 years now and have only done a Cobb stage 2 mod. It’s fast, reliable, and fun to drive every time I sit in it. I’ve only done required maintenance, and it hasn’t had a single problem. It’s daily driven 24/7 365 in sun, rain, and snow. I’ll never sell it.
if you’re buying used, I think your plan of getting a new bottom end is a good one, since you don’t know how the previous owner maintained it. I’ve got about 120,000 miles on mine and it still runs like a rocket o the street and on the track. 🙂

·
Registered
57 Posts
I can tell you didn't even read past when i typed slow. :D

Props to you for DD'ing a vehicle for that long. 13k miles a year, it must be mostly short trips...Required maintenance can stretch too a lot of thing's. Especially if AutoX and track...

Sti ain't no 4 second car...Maybe you meant in the 4s range? Like 4.5 - 4.9 on a hard perfect launch and usually in the 5 - 5.5? Some magazines are getting near 6 second. STI needs to shift 3 times.

Boring slow in summer, a blast to drive in the winter.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I like driving mine all year round! great in the corners, straights, school zones, 0-75mph depending on where I am! I even park to where I can look at my car while I work...but that's me...get what you want to drive and enjoy it! have buddy whos all about the prius soo to each their own!

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
If your dead set on rebuilding the engine then i think your plan is good. Get yourself a cheap sti that is in good condition and just build the block. Another option would be to buy an already built sti from someone. Obv you would want a compression/leakdown test done prior to purchase.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was irked that the 08 STI's traction control stopped working when the check engine light comes on. I know it is a minor problem (air injection valves), but have been pretty miffed at the engineering design in this respect...as I look at 4-5" of snow outside. Sure a check engine light is important, but disable the traction control?! Maybe someone else has some rational insight to this, but I really don't understand the logic. The reason I bought a Subaru over a Camaro, Mustang, or rear wheel drive BMW was the AWD. To disable a safety feature for the sake of getting the driver's attention is despicable. Maybe get an older WRX or STI, that safety was valued over EPA standards? Just my opinion, but since I am spending my money, that is where my vote goes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts