IW STi Forum banner

Subaru press release - Foglights

3K views 29 replies 14 participants last post by  4MLA1FN 
#1 ·
Here is a press release I posted info from in another thread - parts have been posted before, but some info may be new to some - especially the standard features list with the foglights which will follow in a second post.

Note - the text was an OCR scan of the press release - some text may be slightly scrambled.

SUBARU INTRODUCES THE 2004 IMPREZA WRX STi AT NORTH AMERICAN INTERNATIONAL AUTO SHOW

"No-Compromise" Performance Model Is The Most Powerful Subaru Ever Offered in North America

DETROIT, Jan. 6, 2003 - Subaru of America, Inc. today introduced the long-awaited 2004MY Impreza WRX STi, an ultra high-performance all-wheel drive sedan, at the North American International Auto Show. Based on the critically acclaimed Subaru Impreza WRX, Impreza WRX STi is completely re-engineered to provide world-class sports car levels of acceleration, handling and braking performance. Impreza WRX STi will serve as the performance flagship of the Subaru line when it arrives in dealerships this summer and will earn distinction as the most powerful Subaru ever offered for sale in North America.

The Impreza WRX STi draws motorsports technology directly from Subaru expertise in World Rally Championship (WRC) competition, and is designed to appeal to the serious driving enthusiast. Impreza WRX STi is powered by a turbocharged and intercooled 2.5-liter DOHC boxer engine producing 300 horsepower at 6,000 rpm and 300 lb.-ft. of peak torque at 4,000 rpm, teamed exclusively to a 6-speed manual transmission. Power is transferred to all four wheels via a sophisticated Subaru All-Wheel Drive system designed to optimize performance in all conditions.

Introducing Subaru Tecnlca International (STI)

STI stands for Subaru Tecnica International, the high-performance and motorsports subsidiary of Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. Subaru, which offers the only exclusively All-Wheel Drive line of passenger cars and crossover-type vehicles in the United .States, has been proving the performance and durability of its All-Wheel Drive, technology in World Rally Championship competition since 1989.

Until now, STi-badged Subaru vehicles had been available only in select world markets. However, the success of the WRX in the U.S. prompted strong (and vocal) demand from American consumers for an even more extreme-performance version of this car.

As a result, the U.S.-market Impreza WRX STi gives up nothing compared to models offered in Europe, Japan, and other markets and in some ways offers more performance. For example, the 2.5L turbocharged powerplant is the largest displacement engine ever installed in a WRX STi model and is exclusive to the North American market. This unique engine also provides strong torque characteristics at both low and high rpm.

Rally Tested, Road Ready

The Impreza WRX STi benefits both from the redesigned front and rear styling of the 2004MY Impreza line. The expressive new design is the result of close consultation with Subaru STi engineers and the Subaru World Rally Team to improve air resistance, optimize lift force balance, maximize engine cooling and provide Impreza models with a bolder, more dynamic appearance. In its exterior design, Impreza WRX STi leaves no doubts about its performance potential- a look that is equally functional. The enlarged hood scoop in the aluminum hood feeds outside air to the intercooler that is significantly larger than the unit found on Impreza WRX. A completely functional dual-element rear spoiler - which appears to be borrowed directly from the Subaru World Rally Car - helps reduce lift and improve stability at high speed. Airflow is also managed via front side spoilers on the front bumper and STi side ground effects. The front fascia features four high-intensity discharge (HID) headlamps with smoke tinted lenses and distinctive STi fog light insert covers for a no-nonsense look. Large diameter Brembo brakes are clearly visible between the spokes of the 17 -inch lightweight aluminum- alloy BBS wheels.

The 2.5-liter horizontally opposed ("boxer") four-cylinder engine is based on a specially reinforced "semi-closed deck" engine block with forged aluminum alloy pistons, forged high, carbon steel connecting rods and sodium-filled exhaust valves. This advanced powerplant incorporates Subaru AVCS (Active Valve Control System) variable valve timing technology to optimize the engine's volumetric efficiency throughout the rev band. It is the first application of this technology on a Subaru in North America. The large capacity intercooler includes a manually operated water spray feature to provide additional cooling.

Driver-Adjustable All-Wheel Drive

WRX STi is equipped, with the brand's most performance-directed All- Wheel Drive system with DCCD (Driver Control Center Differential). In automatic mode, the computer varies the front/rear torque split automatically depending on driving conditions and driver input. In manual mode, the DCCD system allows the driver to vary the front-to~rear torque distribution for different driving conditions.

Using a small control wheel on the car's center console, the driver can set the system to transfer as much as 65 percent of available torque to the rear wheels to increase handling agility. Impreza WRX STi employs a new Suretrac limited-slip front differential and a mechanical limited-slip rear differential. The Suretrac differential is a gearless unit that responds to a torque differential between left and right wheels to increase traction and' reduce understeer.

Form Follows Function

Inside are several reminders that Impreza WRX STi is a special vehicle. The sport-design front seats feature substantial side bolsters, an intergrated head restraint design and an embroidered “STi” logo. The seats are uposlstered in unique perforated blue Escaine fabric with contrasting black knit bolsters, complemented by expressive blue floor carpeting. STi engineers also examined a wide range of measures to help reduce weight, eliminating items that did not enhance performance. As a result. Impreza WRX STi does not include a standard sound system. However, an optional sound system will be available at Subaru dealers. Other weight reduction measures include the use of lightweight rear window glass, aluminum control arms and forged aluminum wheels. Comfort features such as air conditioning, power windows, power door locks and power mirrors - amenities that an owner cannot add after the sale - are included as standard equipment.

A revised STi instrument gauge cluster places a 9,OOO-rpm tachometer in the center, complemented by a 160-mph speedometer, DCCD display, fuel and temperature gauges. Red LED indicators and an illuminated "STi” logo in the tachometer reinforce the sporty driving environment. Offering a preview the vehicle's performance potential, all the gauge needles swing to their maximum positions when the ignition is switched on, then fall back to their normal positions. All three primary gauges are trimmed with aluminum rings. A Subaru World Rally Team-designed black leather-wrapped MOMO'~I brand steering wheel with red upper stitching and black lower stitching and matching leather-wrapped parking brake handle with red stitching are also unique to Impreza WRX STi.

Competition-Proven Handling

A super-stiff Ring-Shaped Reinforcement Frame body structure with a hydroformed front subframe form the basis of the high-integrity Impreza platform. The 4-wheel independent suspension inherits technology from the Impreza World Rally Championship competition car, but has been strictly optimized in the WRX STi for high cornering performance on paved roads.

Compared to the standard WRX, the STi version has been lowered by O.4-inch, yielding a lower center of gravity. New inverted struts in the front and rear suspension reduce unsprung vehicle weight and increase bending resistance for quicker and more consistent performance under hard cornering.

The WRX STi employs a quicker steering ratio than the standard WRX model- IS.0-to-l compared to 16.S-to"1 for the WRX. As standard equipment, Subaru equips the WRX STi with 17 x 7.S-inch BBS aluminum-alloy wheels and 225/45 ZR 17 Bridgestone Potenza REO70 directional performance tires.

Brembo Brakes with Super Sport ABS

Subaru has equipped the Impreza WRX STi with one of the most advanced and performance-optimized braking systems on the market today. The powerful Brembo Performance Brake System employs ventilated 4-wheel disc brakes to help ensure stopping power and consistency commensurate with the vehicle's extreme performance capability. The front discs measure 12.7 inches in diameter and 1.2-inch thick and utilize four-piston, fixed-position calipers. The rear discs are 12.3 inches in diameter and O.8-inch thick and make use of two-piston, fixed-position calipers.

A combination of Electronic Brake-Force Distribution (EBD) and new Super Sport Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) helps to reduce stopping distances and understeer when compared to conventional ABS systems. Conventional ABS systems control the rear wheels as a pair, reducing the brake force to both wheels when a loss of traction is detected at either wheel. Using input from a lateral g-sensor, Super Sport ABS can independently control the braking forces at each wheel, optimizing the braking ability during hard cornering – resulting in reduced understeer. EBD also provides a more precise control of braking pressure between the front and rear wheels based on the vehicle load to improve stopping distances and stability.

Standard safety features include front seat head/chest side impact air bags (SRS), dual front airbags and three-point seatbelts. Front seat belts include electrically triggered pre-tensioners and force limiters. All 2004 Impreza models receive collapsible pedal controls that "break away" during a frontal impact to help reduce foot injuries.

Subaru of America, Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. of Japan. Headquartered near Philadelphia, the company markets and distributes Subaru vehicles, parts and accessories through a network of nearly 600 franchised dealers across the US

See less See more
#2 ·
If anyone wants the scans of this document, send me a private message with your e-mail and I will send it to you - includes info on the new WRX too.

Here is the standard feature list which is, as far as I know, previously un-posted. The reason for posting this info was the request to see the proof that there are foglights under the covers. More info to follow in a third post.

Note - this is an OCR scan of the original document - some text may be scrambled.

Basic Specifications

Body S-passenger Wheelbase 100.0 in. Length 173.4 in.
Weight TBD
Engine 2.S-liter horizontally opposed, DOHC, four valves per cylinder, turbocharger and intercooler, variable valve timing
Horsepower 300 @ 6,000 rpm
Torque 300 lb.-ft. @ 4,000 rpm Transmission 6-speed manual / All- Wheel Drive

Standard features

. 6-speed manual transmission with transmission cooler
. Continuous AII- Wheel Drive with DCCD (Driver-Controlled Center Differential), Suretrac front limited slip diflerential and mechanical limited-slip rear differential
. Sport-tuned 4-wheel independent suspension with inverted struts and aluminum front control arms
Brembo Performance Brake System with four-piston front calipers and twin-piston rear calipers, 12.7-inch front rotors and 12.3-inch rear rotors
. 4-channel, 4-sensor Super-Sport Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) with g-sensor
. Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD)
. 17 x 7.5-inch BBS aluminum alloy wheels
. 225/ 45ZR 17 Bridgestone Potenza REO70 directional performance tires
. Faster-ratio engine speed sensing rack-and-pinion power steering
. Aluminum hood with enlarged integral scoop
. Four high-intensity discharge (HID) headlights with smoke-tinted covers
. STi design side ground effects side molding, body color
. Dual-element rear spoiler
. Large, sjngle-outlet tailpipe
. Wide flare front fenders and rear quarter panels
. Projector-beam halogen fog lights with STi covers
. Blue Ecsaine seat fabric with contrasting black knit bolsters
. Exclusive blue carpeting
. Competition-inspired sport-design seats w / integral head restraints
. STi MOMO brand, Subaru World Rally Team (SWRT) design 3-spoke leather-wrapped steering wheel with red upper stitching, black lower stitching and STi emblem
. Leather-wrapped parking brake handle with red stitching
. Instrument gauge panel with red LED indicators
. Adjustable tachometer rpm redline with warning buzzer
. Dark gray metallic interior trim
. Dual front airbags
. Front seat head/ chest side-impact airbags
. Height-adjustable driver's seat
. Height-adjustable shoulder belt anchors (outboard positions)
. Front seatbelt pre-tensioners and force limiters
. Three-point seatbelts for all three rear seating positions
. Rear seat headrests for all three seating positions
. Air conditioning with 4'-speed fan
. Aluminum alloy pedal pads with rubber grips
. Body-color power sideview mirrors
. Cruise control
. Digital clock in dash center panel
. Digital odometer and dual-mode trip odometer . Dual overhead map lights
. Keyless entry system
. Power door locks
. Power windows with driver's one-touch auto down.
. Tilt-adjustable steering column
. Tinted glass
. Windshield wipers, variable intermittent with washers
. 24-hour roadside assistance

#3 ·
More info - again OCR scan.

What Is It?

The 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi is an ultra high-performance version of the WRX, completely re-engineered to provide world-class sports car levels of acceleration, handling and braking performance. STI stands for Subaru Tecnica International, the high-performance and motorsports development division of Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. WRX STi is powered by a turbocharged and intercooled 2.S-liter DOHC boxer engine producing 300 horsepower @ 6,000 rpm and 300 lb.-ft. of peak torque @ 4,000 rpm. The engine is teamed exclusively to a 6-speed manual transmission and the brand's most performance-directed AII- Wheel Drive system with DCCD (Driver Control Center Differential). In manual mode, this system allows the driver to vary the front-to-rear torque distribution for different driving conditions. A new SuretTracoil limited-slip front differential and a mechanical limited-slip rear differential help to increase traction and reduce understeer.

Subaru STi engineers and the SubaruWorld RallyTeam consulted on the expressive new front styling (for the entire 2004 Impreza line) to improve air resistance and engine cooling and optimize lift force balance. The front fascia features four high-intensity discharge (HID) headlamps with smoke tinted lenses and STi fog light insert covers. The enlarged hood scoop feeds outside air to a significantly larger intercooler than that on the Impreza WRX, and the intercooler gains a manually operated water-spray feature to provide additional cooling. A functional dual-element rear spoiler helps reduce lift and improve stability at high speed.

Inside, the front sport seats feature an integrated head - restraint design and wIique perforated blue Ecsaine'&1 fabric with contrasting black knit bolsters, complemented by striking blue carpeting. To reduce weight, Impreza WRX STi uses lightweight rear window glass and does not include a standard sound system - an optional system will be available at Subaru dealers.

A super-stiff Ring-Shaped Reinforcement Frame body structure with a hydroformed front subframe forms the basis of the high-integrity Impreza platform. Compared to the standard Impreza WRX, the STi version has been lowered by 0.1-inch and uses a quicker steering ratio. New aluminum suspension control arms and inverted struts reduce unsprung vehicle weight and ensure more consistent performance under hard cornering. Impreza WRX STi comes standard with 17 x 7.S-inch BBS'& aluminum alloy wheels and 22S/4SZR 17 Bridgestone Potenza RE070 directional performance tires.

The powerful Brembo@ Performance Brake System employs ventilated four-wheel disc brakes with four-piston calipers in front and twin-piston calipers in the rear. A combination of Electronic Brake-Force Distribution (EBD) and a new Super Sport Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) helps to reduce understeer - and therefore enhance stability - under hard braking. Super Sport ABS uses a lateral g-sensor to individually control brake pressure under ABS operation. This advanced new system also helps reduce stopping distance compared to conventional ABS. Front seat head/chest side impact air bags (SRS) are standard on Impreza WRX STi. Ail 2004 Impreza models receive collapsible pedal controls that "break away" during a frontal impact to help reduce foot injuries.

#8 ·
As much as I hate to say this:

If there are fogs under there I am debating wether I want to run with the covers or not. I am contemplating taking the STi badge off of the trunk. Why? Well, I hope this won't happen, but lets say some WRX owner decides that that STi badge would look good on his car, along with the fog covers. I hope not, but this happens in the Acura/Honda crowd sometimes.. :(

#10 ·
1) "Aluminum alloy wheels" doesn't specify forged or cast.

2) Keyless entry system, but no standard security system? That's one option that's guaranteed to add some $$$. Along with a stereo, I wouldn't be surprised if we had to spend another $1500-$2000 over MSRP just for those 2 options.

4MLA1FN is right. All this stuff is starting to sound very expensive. :cry:

#11 ·
I still cant see how you guys can think this car will be in the mid 30's :) JC there isnt that much things that look BLING BLING on the car

Exclusive blue carpet lol
Leather-wrapped parking brake handle with red stitching lol
Rear seat headrests for all three seating positions lol
Air conditioning with 4'-speed fan lol
Body-color power sideview mirrors lol
Digital clock in dash center panel lol
Power door locks lol (this one alone is 5K ) :)

I love the car dont get me wrong but the list of features are as common as saying

4 tires
Steering wheel
4 seats

I really dont see alot of things that would put a above 32K price tag on the car, heck I have a hard time even seeing the car cost 32K :)

I guess all im trying to say guys is that it wont as bad as we think
cheer up :)

#12 ·
There is no way in hell that this car is going to be over 35K. I won't even buy one at that price, so SOA better take note.

They have gotta be shootin for the low 30's. yxan is right- Keep ya head up... :)

#14 ·
#16 ·
JJ said:
As much as I hate to say this:

If there are fogs under there I am debating wether I want to run with the covers or not. I am contemplating taking the STi badge off of the trunk. Why? Well, I hope this won't happen, but lets say some WRX owner decides that that STi badge would look good on his car, along with the fog covers. I hope not, but this happens in the Acura/Honda crowd sometimes.. :(
JJ, I'm with you regarding this. While I am over here in Germany I am going to probably leave mine on, but back in the states..they are all coming off, except for the covers. If we do have fogs under there I might take then off and then seal the covers on there..thats one of the better parts of the STi's exterior..IMHO.

#17 ·
Actually with the HID headlights, I am not sure if the fogs would really be noticable enough to really need them. BTW, when they say 4 HID headlights do they mean high and low beam headlights? I think that would be a first, that I know of anyway, of a car coming with HID high and low beams. I thought most cars with HIDs have regular halogen high beams. Is that right?

#26 ·
Orders for Midatlantic..

I can take pictures of the two types and show the differences, if it helps any. I have projector lenses on my Celica with Philips HIDs added, and my fiance has an 03 Maxima with reflector-type HIDs from the factory.

Really, the big difference is the intensity of the light. Reflector type lights allow the light to diffuse over a large range coming out of the lense, although most of the light is below the horizon as it is aimed. This is usually done by having the bulb blocked off from the front, the light then shoots backward, reflects off of the top of the 'reflector' and the light shoots back forward.

Projector lights do just what they sound like...they shoot the light right where they want the light to go. The bulb is back in a tunnel of sorts and a horizon is placed in front of the bulb. The light is then blocked which gives the very distinct horizon of projector lights. Then the work is done by the lense....the light is focused right where it wants to be.

It's really hard to explain. If you guys would like to see some digipics, I can get some of my fiance's car tomorrow and compare with mine.

Here are a few pics from inside my projector lenses when I was doing the HID install.

Here is the horizon inside the 'tunnel'. This is looking out through the lense.

It really shouldn't make a huge difference for us...HIDs are HIDs and the difference is amazing over Halogens. But....projectors are just that little extra that makes them brighter and more intense than reflectors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.