IW STi Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can not believe how cheap the paint is on these cars.

My 3 year old Toyota Tacoma that I traded in for this car actually looked better and had less chips and swirls. My car only has 1800 miles WTF.

Both vehicles are black and I used the same products so I am just completely let down with the quality of paint and/or clear coat.

Its almost as if the paint is too soft or something. I saw where another guy with the blue STi posted and was complaining as well about swirls.

I hate to say this but it worries me to think about what other corners may have been cut to make this kind of performance affordable at $30k.

On that note I will shut up......and just stay pissed for a while.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
STight said:
I can not believe how cheap the paint is on these cars.

My 3 year old Toyota Tacoma that I traded in for this car actually looked better and had less chips and swirls. My car only has 1800 miles WTF.

Both vehicles are black and I used the same products so I am just completely let down with the quality of paint and/or clear coat.

Its almost as if the paint is too soft or something. I saw where another guy with the blue STi posted and was complaining as well about swirls.

I hate to say this but it worries me to think about what other corners may have been cut to make this kind of performance affordable at $30k.

On that note I will shut up......and just stay pissed for a while.
Subaru paint is known to be crappy. Just do a search on nasioc or clubwrx to see all the people complaining. That being said, mine is holding up better than the paint on my old Audi A6. Maybe I just don't notice it as much though since it is silver. The coat of paint on the bumper is way too thin though. They need to fix that for sure.

Based on my research, Subaru does not cut corners on anything important. Statistically, the cars are extremely reliable. It's one of the main reasons I bought the car.

-st

·
Registered
87 Posts
This is probably true. My one month old STi has a rock chip between the clear bra and hood scoop. I did not see any chips on our 2000 Jetta TDI. My 89 GL wagon was blasted. There was virtually no paint at all on the leading edge of the hood. Yet I sold it running great at 254K miles. That leading edge thing made me go with the Rock Blocker for a clear bra because it actually wraps around the leading edge. Anyhow, the chips and scratches are worth it because this thing is a blast to drive in the snow (or any other time).

·
Registered
452 Posts
Does anyone know how much it costs to repaint the entire car? If that is not too expensive, I figure I'd drive it like I stole it and then repaint the car in a high quality, multi-layer mat-platinum finish. 8) a la Prodrive.

·
Registered
668 Posts
what kind of repainting do you want? you can always go the MAACO route and pay like $300... but most likely you'll be unsatisfied with the quality and have to repaint it in another 6 months... if you want a PROFESSIONAL paint job that looks awesome and is good quality, you could easily spend $2k-3k or more to do everything (including inside the engine bay, trunk, door jambs, etc.). If you want custom paint, like some ghetto phabulous chameleon paint, you could spend anywhere from $5k-10k

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
rjhang said:
Does anyone know how much it costs to repaint the entire car? If that is not too expensive, I figure I'd drive it like I stole it and then repaint the car in a high quality, multi-layer mat-platinum finish. 8) a la Prodrive.
At least $3k at a good place.

-st

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
After seeing my 98 Legacy I sold after I got the STi, first thing I did was put a clear bra on my STi. I have no chips or scratches so far with 15k miles on it. Honestly though, every car I have sold with reasonable miles had bad stone chips in the front. I think the type of paint used really wont matter much when a nice rock traveling at like 80mph hits it. I even have a couple "chips" in my clear bra. The paint is not chiped but whatever it was left a mark in the clear bra.

·
Registered
10 Posts
this is my fourth subaru and the paint and construction is always my only complaint. Absolutely the easiest car to make a door ding look like a car accident, and the absolute cheapest paint possible, but the all weather performance and now the incredible power, i wouldn't trade for anything in the same price range

·
Registered
389 Posts
6K miles and after this winter I am not to happy with my paint at all. ITs seems to be easy to scratch along with the rock chips.

·
Registered
78 Posts
tecnic1 said:
I have some pretty bad orange peel on the bottom of my doors...I am not at all happy with subaru built quality.
I have the same problem with mine. It was pretty noticable in the sunlight after I washed the car :evil:

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have some pretty bad orange peel on the bottom of my doors...I am not at all happy with subaru built quality.
Fellas that is suppose to be there like that. It is a rubberized paint that they put on th elower portion of the doors to help with rock chips. Porsche for example has been doing it for years and many others as wel. Subaru just decided to go higher up the door since IT is a rally car and god knows we might use it that way :evil:

·
Registered
124 Posts
RockBlocker said:
Fellas that is suppose to be there like that. It is a rubberized paint that they put on th elower portion of the doors to help with rock chips. Porsche for example has been doing it for years and many others as wel. Subaru just decided to go higher up the door since IT is a rally car and god knows we might use it that way :evil:
I don't know man, I painted for a few years, and I have laid down my share of orange peel. And that looks like orange peel.
Robots mess up too...My integra came from the factory with a run.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts