IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I’d like to say Hello to everyone :D This is my first post to this site - although I’ve been reading posts since… hell, I can’t even remember how long. Needless to say, I’m a huge fan of the STi and I’ve almost convinced myself to take the plunge and buy one.

I’ve got a couple of questions:

1) I was by Richmond Hill Subaru this past weekend and they told me that Subaru Canada will be raising the price of the STi for the 2005 model year. Has anyone heard this? Or was the salesman just feeding me BS so that I would take one of the five STi’s he had on the lot (… yes, you heard me right, they had FIVE unsold STi’s on the lot)

2) Since I live in the Toronto area, I’m very worried theft. What are you guys doing for security? Anyone installing Boomerang systems?

Thanks for any responses :)

·
Premium Member
7,482 Posts
Floor mats

Hey, sorry to jump in on your post but I recently checked out the STi at a local dealership in Ajax/Whitby. They had about 3 or 4 (or more) on the lot. When I told him that I was looking at a 2005 he said, "well they might not be making them in 2005, you never know." lol. Prices normally increase slightly after the first year of introduction. I heard that the Canadian models don't get HIDs so maybe Subaru will bring them over, and therefore increase the price in 2005?

I'll get out of your thread now. :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
They'll tell you all kind of stories to get you buy one RIGHT NOW! Info coming out of a salesperson's mouth is the least reliable info you can trust IMO.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Our price is already garbage. If anything, it should be going down. 30k USD currently = 39 CAD, not 52 CAD or whatever they have us paying. Its ridiculous.

·
Premium Member
7,482 Posts
Wow you are right...

My RSX model: $21,100 USD and $27,400 CDN. (~30% diff)
STi: $30,995 USD or $46,995 CDN. (~52% diff!!!)

Wtf? How the hell does that work?

Now factor in our hideous 15% taxes (at least in Ontario) and wow.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This goes to show you how much I like the car. I know I'm getting bent over with the current exchange rates... and our ridiculous taxes, but I'm still willing to fork over the money. It's still, by far, the best performance value out there.

By the way, I test drove the STi at Richmond Hill Subaru and thought it was fantastic. Way better throttle response than the normal WRX. I thought the power delivery was much more linear than the normal WRX; I always found the turbo lag in the normal WRX quite disconcerting. And if memory serves me correctly, there's much better communication through the steering wheel than the normal WRX. All in all, very impressive... DAMN, I want this car bad! If Subaru Canada decides to raise the price, I'm crossing my fingers and hoping it isn't by much. I won't mind so much if they raise the price and throw in the HIDs.

·
Premium Member
7,482 Posts
KrustyK said:
I won't mind so much if they raise the price and throw in the HIDs.
I find it a bit strange that we'd lose the HIDs but pay such a premium. :-? If they bring the HIDs over and a dark grey body colour, I'd buy one regardless of the price. :)

T

·
0 Posts
Keep in mind...no HID's but instead we have heated seats, 6 in dash cd player, better seats and a pass through in the rear seat. So the HID's should not be an issue. Should one want to opt for the American version then you will have to fork over some dough for some tunes and, oh yea...floor mats. :wink:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You make a good point turbs. We do get quite a bit of stuff over and above the USDM. I'm just saying that if there is a price hike, as a result of the inclusion of HID's, it would be justified in my mind.

i.e. [2004 Price] + $800 HIDs = [New 2005 Price] ... this would be ok by me :)

·
Premium Member
7,482 Posts
I'm so torn on what to do. lol. Do I buy a 2004 STi with some of the "first production run" issues, mod it and enjoy 2 years of fun before the '06 "major revision" that I've been hearing about? Then again, I can wait for 2005 and get a more refined STi with maybe a few different colour choices but then there will only be a year until a possible "major" change in 2006. I know, I know, I could wait until 2030 and buy a fusion powered STi. :wink:

Ugh the decisions...

Don't mind me, I'm just trying to fight the urge to go out and buy a STi right now. :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Digitalfiend - At least your current ride is decent and up-to-date. I've been driving the same car (1993 Civic Si HB) for the last 11+ years. Granted the engine stills runs like a champ, it's the characteristic rusting around the rear wheel wells and the multitude of rattles that's pushing me to get a new car. Getting an STi would be a pretty big step up, eh? :D

And I'm going through the same thought process: try to get a good deal on the outgoing 2004s or wait for a little more refinement in the 2005s. Since I've been driving the same car the past 11 years, I don't think I have enough patience for the fusion powered STi :)

·
Registered
304 Posts
turbs said:
Keep in mind...no HID's but instead we have heated seats, 6 in dash cd player, better seats and a pass through in the rear seat. So the HID's should not be an issue. Should one want to opt for the American version then you will have to fork over some dough for some tunes and, oh yea...floor mats. :wink:
our stereo is only worth about $150, despite what subaru charges for it...since it sucks and most of us put in aftermarket ones, its actually costing us more money. they have the same bucket seats as we do. we have 1 heated seat, which can be done for something like $70. even if our cars were the same price, we would still be getting screwed. HID kits cost alot :)

when i send in my survey thing, ill be sure to attach a short letter saying they suck for ripping us off :) in not so blunt terms of course...

·
Registered
359 Posts
turbs said:
they have the same bucket seats as we do. we ...
This is actually incorrect . the Canadian seats are somewhat different in support and size... ( Sorry don't mean to nit pick)

·
Registered
42 Posts
tires for sale

I didn't realize the Canadian seats were different. How so?

I thought the seats for the Americans were made bigger to accomodate the fast food buts.

·
Registered
14 Posts
KrustyK said:
. Getting an STi would be a pretty big step up, eh? :D
Hahaha, reminds me of when I graduated and traded in my rusty, CV jointed impaired 10 yr old Civic for a not so new (3 yrs old used) 300ZX twin turbo. What a step up, and had me permanently hooked on forced induction....Shhhhhhft!!!! (bov sound) :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts