IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Suggestions about bov's: Should i vta or recirculate?

A friend and I were bored on Saturday afternoon so we decided to just go and test drive a EVO and STI to compare them. Our 1st stop was the Mitsu dealer where we were told that they would allow the test drive only if I were going to buy it. Well that kinda sucked, Im 30 years old and they still don't trust me with toys? Anyways they had a Subaru WRX Impreza on the lot (not and STi) and they were more than willing to let me drive it. I have to say that I found it pretty dull. It handled very well, and had decent power down low but nothing I that would make me want to buy it. After we got back and listened to the sales rep go on and on about how the EVO is a much better car than the WRX we left and headed down to the Subaru dealer. As soon as we got out of the car a sales rep pounced on us and proceeded to take us directly to the 2 STIs they had in the back under lock and key. He didn't even have to ask what car we were there for. We proceeded to all pile into one of the car, and headed out to the road with the sales rep driving. Ok, I was unimpressed with the WRX we had driven 1/2 hour before so I wasn't expecting to vast of a difference. Damn was I wrong. After the sales rep proceeded to do 4 wheel drifts through intersections and cause both my friend and I to fill our pants he let us take turns driving. Unfrikking real, the handling and power caused my brain to basically melt down, what started the afternoon as a time killing device where I wasn't actually considering buying any car resulted into my NEEDING an STi...damnit...

My current car is a bit custom, it runs about 300hp and handles very well for a fwd car, but it has started to get on my nerves since it breaks down much to often.So basically I have been trying to expand my knowledge on the STi, here are some points that I have noticed. What does bug me is that I have yet to find any firm negative issue with the car.

Here are the things I have seen listed as problems.

1> Wipers (buy rain-x)

2> possible issues with paint and metal quality

3> possible tranny issues

4> assorted small rattles

5> rough ride (if you say so, I found it almost soft compared to the H&R coilovers I run in my car)

5> gas mileage

6> back seat is to small (good I hate having people sit behind me)

7> Dealerships tend to have poor service in regards to taking care of issues

8> Motortrend (I think it was them) and Edmunds both seem to like the EVO more. (hell if you don't let me drive it Im not gonna buy it plus I've had experiences with other Subies and liked them)

Have I missed anything? I have read the full "regrets" post and checked all over the place to see more info.

Thanks, and if it all works out I will be having an STi in 3 weeks.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
JoshmkII said:
After the sales rep proceeded to do 4 wheel drifts through intersections and cause both my friend and I to fill our pants he let us take turns driving. Unfrikking real, the handling and power caused my brain to basically melt down, what started the afternoon as a time killing device where I wasn't actually considering buying any car resulted into my NEEDING an STi...damnit...
Yeah, my advice is to not test drive an STi unless you're prepared to buy one. But...I'm really surprised the salesman hit on a brand new STi that hard. I'd be leary of buying a car from that dealership that hadn't just rolled off the transport.

Here are the things I have seen listed as problems.

1> Wipers (buy rain-x)
Or replacement blades. I didn't really have problems with the stock blades, I just prefer silicone blades so I switched to TriplEdge.

The paint is thin and chips easily, but other than that I think the appearance and quality are fine. I haven't heard any complaints about metal quality. What are you referring to?

Very few problems have been reported. The 6MT is a very solid and well-behaved tranny so far... The 5MT is a POS by comparison.

I've got the glovebox rattle, but it hasn't bothered me enough to bother with fixing it yet.

5> rough ride (if you say so, I found it almost soft compared to the H&R coilovers I run in my car)
Yeah, it's not rough by performance car standards.

5> gas mileage
Also not bad by performance car standards.

It's tight for adults but OK for occasional use.

This varies dramatically by dealership. If your local dealership doesn't have a good reputation, shop around. When my '02 WRX wagon had trouble downshifting into first gear, my dealer replaced first and second gear and their synchros without any hassle.

8> Motortrend (I think it was them) and Edmunds both seem to like the EVO more. (hell if you don't let me drive it Im not gonna buy it plus I've had experiences with other Subies and liked them)
Yeah, just about every head-to-head comparo has given the edge to the Evo. My personal opinion is that that's because the Evo is easier to drive, while the STi takes some getting used. I drove them both and chose the STi. The Evo is awesome, no doubt about it, but I preferred the STi's extra power, DCCD, front LSD, 6MT, and interior.

Have I missed anything? I have read the full "regrets" post and checked all over the place to see more info.
No stereo, but I consider that a plus. :) The one I installed is cheaper, sounds much better than the Subaru unit, and has lots more features.

Good luck!

·
wie geht es ihnen?
2,218 Posts
my only disappointment is the paint. it chips easily on the front end from stones and rocks.

my trunk release is a little sticky,b ut it works.

other than that i love the car.

i had a 2000 Audi S4 before this - quite a different car. i wouldn't go back to the Audi that's for sure. the STi performance is just way to great IMO.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Slowride said:
But...I'm really surprised the salesman hit on a brand new STi that hard. I'd be leary of buying a car from that dealership that hadn't just rolled off the transport.
Yup, that's for sure. But if it hadn't been for this guy going over 100mph, going around corners at speeds that plastered me against the door, and of course just exposing the raw power...I wouldn't be in the position of selling off a kidney for a car. :p

It was pretty funny at one point while my friend was driving it and the sales rep was in the back seat. We were going through some nice S curves and we were already flying (by standards of FWD or RWD), the sales rep kept yelling for my friend to give it more gas! I looked at my buddy and his eyes were about to pop out of his skull he was totally tweaked.

Very few problems have been reported. The 6MT is a very solid and well-behaved tranny so far... The 5MT is a POS by comparison.

[/quote]

good good!

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
I keep hearing all these complaints about the paint and yet yesterday when I washed the car for the first time after all the snow, ice, and gravel have been removed from the roads, I found not a single chip... I couldn't believe it.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
The paint problems are exaggerated. I owned my '02 wagon for two years, and it had maybe half a dozen specks on the entire car (I only remember 3-4, but I probably missed a couple), not counting the mini crater in the hood from the doofus that thought tossing rocks at cars was fun and the hole I punched through the lip by parking over a temporary curb that had been pulled out of the ground and left pointy-side up. :(

·
Registered
454 Posts
JoshmkII said:
1> Wipers (buy rain-x)
Stock wipers work fine for me, and I live in Seattle.

Metal quality?

I agree with the other guys on this one... the tranny is quite possibly the best part of the STi, the 6MT is awesome, solid, and smooth as butter. I love it, and have nothing but praise for it.

What new car with this stiff of a suspension doesn't have rattles?

It's pretty smooth for a performance car.... anyone who wants a softer ride should buy a S4.

5> gas mileage
300 hp and gas mileage are mutually exclusive... You wanna go fast, or you wanna get good mileage?

Don't haul passengers. Problem solved.

Haven't had any problem with either of my Subarus so far, and they've actually been much better than GM was. Subaru service is definitely better than Mistubishi as well, there's a reason their owners call the service department "Satan".

The cars are so close that it's hard to make a judgment which is better. They each have benefits over the other. I chose the STi because it makes a much more comfortable daily driver, has a nicer interior, and just feels a little more upscale. I also like the smooth powerband and lack of turbo lag.

Remember to take everything you read on the internet with a grain of salt.

Good luck, hope you find what you're after.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Slowride said:
The paint problems are exaggerated. I owned my '02 wagon for two years, and it had maybe half a dozen specks on the entire car
I have to diagree vehemently. I got my STi in Sept of 03 and already I have more than a half-dozen chips on the hood alone. The front bumper has about 2x that many and several of them have progressed from mere chips to peeling paint. The bumper paint seems very different from most automotive paints in that it's softer and more 'rubbery'. Once it gets a nick, it starts to peel off in sheets like a latex paint. A co-worker has an 01 WRX and his hood is even worse than mine. From 10 feet away you can see the chips and it looks like the front end is speckled.

It may have something to do with the local roads and quality of maintainence. It may be the TX weather (even though my car is garaged). But, it's odd to me that both WRX's are in bad shape, whereas my 5 year old truck and 4 year old chrysler still look new :x

·
Registered
76 Posts
ok im new - just got mine today

1> Wipers (buy rain-x)
dont drive in the rain - buy better wipers - dont care

not sure yet - no paint is impervious though - rocks will always chip paint

from what ive heard you can launch at 6,000 rpm all day long

havent noticed any yet - when i drove the EVO it rattled like crazy, dealer was trying to hide it by pressing on the glove compartment

dont care, im still young...

5> gas mileage
yeah you want to go fast you will pay for it

screw passengers stupid freeloading fools

when i had them reprogram the remote EVERY tech in the room came over and was like - is that yours - can i drive it - man its soo awesome - take care of it - nice car - etc - i am expecting very good service from my dealer after seeing the enthusiasm - it was like a superstar walked through the door, time seemed to stop for all the work that was going on

the EVO was designed for the track - more for cornering precision - STI is more of just a brute. i drove the evo - didnt like it - bounces too much on rough roads. and i dont care for sunroofs n 5 speeds n a "smokers edition"

no regrets - i do hate the pink stickers everywhere

Thanks, and if it all works out I will be having an STi in 3 weeks.[/quote]

·
Registered
521 Posts
RadarOnPaws said:
I keep hearing all these complaints about the paint and yet yesterday when I washed the car for the first time after all the snow, ice, and gravel have been removed from the roads, I found not a single chip... I couldn't believe it.
hey you can wash my car too. i keep putting it off because its always so cloudly and wants to rain

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
bekster43 said:
hey you can wash my car too. i keep putting it off because its always so cloudly and wants to rain
It actually started sprinkling on my car the minute I was done washing it but I didn't care because the whole point was to get all the grime from when it snowed off of the paint... :D

·
Registered
399 Posts
I think the gas mileage on the car is incredible on the highway. I go to Lake Tahoe a lot (I live in San Francisco Bay Area) and This weekend I went up for the first time in my STi. I go up to Tahoe (180 Miles) on a half tank of gas (calculates to about 24 mpg), same on teh way back. Thats better than any other car I have ever taken up there. But if you drive it around town its not the greatest, but like everyone else says, thats part of price of having the deadly 300 / 300 combo!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Ok...about the whole dealer doing 4-wheel drifts through intersections... my first instinct is to call BS. My next instinct, especially when reading about the part where the dealer in the back seat is yelling at your friend to give it more gas in S-turns, is to ask if you've seen the article about the test-drive that went horribly wrong in that SRT-4. Stupid salesman + excessive speed = Massive head trauma.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sorry not bs :) he flogged that car relentlessly. (it was only 2 intersections, and there wasn't any other car around) If he hadn't I wouldn't be nearly impressed with the STi as I am, its good to see what a car can do under the hands of somebody that knows how to drive it. As for the s-turn incident, the car was solid as a rock, we could have been going much faster. If it had been a 2wd car that would be another story, but for some reason the STi seems to handle pretty well. :D

·
Registered
399 Posts
BHODGES3, when i test drove the STi, (minutes before deciding to buy it) i went out and the salesman told me to romp on it while i was going around a corner and getting on the freeway. He was a younger guy and i'm only 22, so i think if the circumstances are right you can do anything on a test drive. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they had a crazy test drive, i'm sure I could have gone crazy if i hadn't been in the middle of Oakland.

M

·
0 Posts
When the original 2.5 rs came out I took it for a test drive, threw it into a full on U turn at like 30 mph, freaked out the chick, she made me stop the car, and then she drove it back.... the 2.5 rs had no trouble with the turn tho!

Later, I tested a WRX and the old guy was like 'slow it down!!!'

Pretty much every other time I have driven a test car, the salespeople have been like 'drive it however the hell you want'.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: thanks a lot. got 'em today. $100 with shipping

Well, looks like I have pretty poor impulse control. It seems the dealership is delivering an STi to my house on Wednesday.... :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks very much

I really love the black but Im sick of dealing with trying to keep that color clean so I went with the blue. Im still in shock that they approved me. :p

the dealer is selling them for 10k over list, but I did get them to do the list price also.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts