IW STi Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Praxis Adaptive Performance Suspension System

I looked at the manual, and maybe I missed it...

what are we supposed to be torquing the lugnuts to?

daghdha

·
Registered
857 Posts
Re: Bugatti Veyron 16·4

on the wrx manual, and HAVE to search for it, it says 58 to 72... which is a BIG range. i'd go safe and try 70...

i just checked the PDFs service manuals, neither of the 2 tire sections say anything...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought it was in the 'how to change your tire' section, but nope...nothing. :)

ok, I thought I was just a nut for not finding it...

70 sounds about right...thanks!

·
Registered
75 Posts
make sure if you have the car worked on that they are not over tightened, you dont want the lugs to dig into those nice rims. there aluminum right? (im having a brain laps)

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
A little nostalgia for your Tuesday morning.....

I had my tires rotated the other day and it says 70 ft. lbs. on my receipt.

This is kind of OT, but since I don't get free rotations anymore and I've been meaning to get one anyway, what is a good torque wrench, brand and type? I see there are a couple types to pick from... 1/2", 3/8", 30-150 ft lbs or 45-250 ft lbs, etc. Would the 5 lower one or 100 higher ft lbs be more useful? What is a good general range and who makes a good one. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Thanks, I was looking on the sears site yesterday and did not realize there were so many to pick from, that is why I wanted to make sure before I spent the cash. I was not sure on the 1/2" or 3/8". I also wanted to make sure I got a good ft lbs range, something I could use for more than just wheels.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just picked up one from Home Depot for $60. It has a lifetime guarantee like the Craftman, is 1/2 inch and was "more for the money."

Before buying, I checked in with Discount Tire and Costco to see what they use and talk to them about them. I went with the 1/2 inch because that is what they use all day long on all cars and trucks, and because Home Depot's are easier to find than Sears nowadays.

Opal

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
So what should I go with, 1/2" or 3/8"? What is the difference? I would like to get something I can use for other things, not just wheels.

Also, from what I was told and saw online, Craftsman does not have a lifetime guarantee on torque wrenches. So far I have not seen any torque wrenches with a lifetime guarantee. I have seen 30 days to 2 years but that is about it. If Home Depot's has a lifetime guarantee then I would go with their's and like you said they are all over. I wrote down a whole bunch of Sears Hardware store locations I got out of the phone book and went driving around Sunday to look for torque wrenches, good excuse to go driving :) and evey Sears Hardware I drove by was closed, not in closed for the day but closed for good it looked like, no signs or anything anymore. I think some of the malls around here have Sears still but it looks like all the Sears Hardwares are closed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Evo SMOKED by SRT-4

Usually a 1/2" will have a higher rateing/higher torque value, I think my 3/8" only goes to 50 ft lbs but it starts at 5 and has 1lb incraments my 1/2 doesn start till 25lbs and it goes to like 120lbs and has 2 lb incraments also you will find 3/8" that will do inch pounds but probably not A 1/2 that does.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Yeah I noticed that. I guess I am wondering what I would really make the most use out of... ft lbs from 5 to say 80 or ft lbs from 20 to 250? What is the most ft lbs I would ever need on a car? Would I ever need to torque something to 200 ft lbs or more? Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
no one has mentioned the socket. our car takes a 19mm or 3/4" socket. i got a 1/2" drive medium-depth 19mm socket (from lowe's hardware). i'd suggest getting a medium or deep socket because it adds extra offset so the wrench handle (or your hand) doesn't bump the body.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
yep; got a full set of 'em. but i found that my normal 19mm socket wasn't sliding on all the way to the wheel; the rounded hump on the lugnut was in the way, so to speak. ysmv (your socket may vary. :) )

since we're endorsing tool brands :) ... for me, craftsman is plenty good; esp price. i've done a lot of work on cars and only once has a piece broken; replaced for free of course.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Well since Craftsman does not offer a lifetime warranty on their torque wrenches I went with an Ace brand 3/8" torque wrench on sale for $40 since it does have a lifetime warranty. Also Aces are all over the place not like Sears.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts