IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was changing my transmision oil today and everything was fine until I tried to remove the 14mm drain plug. I strained really hard with my breaker bar and instead breaking the bolt loose, it rounded off the edges. At first I thought I'd be fine, just got some vise grips and wd-40 but ended up messing the bolt up more (and hurting my hand, ouch).

I don't really get why it stuck in there so well. I might just leave it and fill up transmission and wait till the next 30,000 miles comes up and let the dealership take care of it. You guys have any better ideas?

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
If you have access to a torch, you might try heating up the drain plug and trying to break it loose... or tapping on it with a hammer to try to shock it loose.. but I'm not seeing much for you grab onto...

Best bet might be just take it to a decent shop.. no need to take it to a dealer. Just pick up another drain plug from the dealership and take the car to a shop. It shouldn't cost you more than an oil change/fill up.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Don't heat the plug, it will only swell and be harder to remove. Instead, try to heat the surrounding area to swell the threaded hole. I think you had the right idea with vise grips. Try to wiggle the plug in either direction, just so it moves to break the seal. My guess is that it was over-torqued when inserted. Who last changed the tranny fluid? They're the culprits.
Good luck. Also, no harm in bringing it to the dealer or other reputable shop.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Is it just me or does it look like the head of the bolt is deformed in the clockwise direction (i.e. tighten)

·
Registered
303 Posts
you can take off the pan and try to easyout the bolt, new bolt costs about 8.99 from dealer. OR just order a whole new pan with bolt and washer, for about 45.00bucks. And some liquid gasket. This same thing happen to me, it was a good thing to i took off the pan. Thats where are huge magnet is. So i got to clean it too.

Van

·
Registered
299 Posts
Hehe. Thats exactly what happend to me when I went to change my transmission fluid the first time. The funny thing is that I was using good tools and the bolt simply would not budge. I ended up just dropping the pan, which is actually better because you get to clean off the magnet at the bottom of the tranny. I tried torching the bolt and using a pipe wrench with the pan off, and the bolt still would not turn! In the future im just going to drop the pan because the bolt is not leaking or anything. Im sure you already fixed the problem, but if not good luck with everything.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Along the lines of what others have been saying, Craftsman makes "sockets" with helical grooves along the inside of the socket that you can hammer into what is left of the plug. They sell them at Sears.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Tried that one mine.. wouldnt budge. Ended up buying a new pan.. Ill get to changing it on my next tranny fluid change :crying:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Is it just me or does it look like the head of the bolt is deformed in the clockwise direction (i.e. tighten)
No. It's just really messed up.

Incase any of you care I just ended up taking the pan off the next day. Then had a local shop torch it out and etc. It was a prettty annoying experience.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts