IW STi Forum banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I've heard great results from the collar. I haven't used it myself, unfortunately. When I was looking to buy the kit pending whether or not my calipers messed up, I had the collar in my cart read to go. For $10, it can't really hurt.
Where were you going to order the kit from?

·
Registered
482 Posts
M12 x 1.5 is the thread for the front OEM caliper bolt. M10 x 1.5 is the thread for the rear OEM caliper bolt. The caliper brackets are 20mm thick, so the 16.2mm inserts I linked you to are perfect.
Reviving this cuz i’m in the struggles right now.

TimeSert makes a 20mm insert for this same kit. Wouldnt you want to use that over the 16.2mm ones?

·
Premium Member
5,325 Posts
Doesn't sound like it. You don't want the insert - whatever you use to be longer than the loaction to place it. Timeserts are suppose to be better, but Heilicoil and it's copies will all work.

Whatever you use dust carefully tap, don't drill. Brembos are very very soft . . .

·
Super Moderator
8,406 Posts
]I drilled on a drill press and tapped by hand to put in a helicoil. Seems to work great. I had the calipers off recently to put in new rotors and no issues. I did use anti-seize on all the bolts when I put I all back together 8 years ago, which is longer than most of you will have your car.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Doesn't sound like it. You don't want the insert - whatever you use to be longer than the loaction to place it. Timeserts are suppose to be better, but Heilicoil and it's copies will all work.

Whatever you use dust carefully tap, don't drill. Brembos are very very soft . . .
Good info! I was wondering about the drilling thing whether it was necessary or not.

On the 20mm inserts, couldnt i just grind them down a little if they are slightly too long?

·
Registered
482 Posts
]I drilled on a drill press and tapped by hand to put in a helicoil. Seems to work great. I had the calipers off recently to put in new rotors and no issues. I did use anti-seize on all the bolts when I put I all back together 8 years ago, which is longer than most of you will have your car.
I was curious about how removal would be with the helicoils. I’ve had my sti for 9 years 😉

I remember reading somewhere that you dont need as big of a hole to install the time-serts as the helicoils. Can anyone confirm this? I couldnt come up with too much info on the exact sizing of everything in the kit

·
Registered
379 Posts
Back in 2010 I read one of these threads here on iwsti. By Jan 2011 I applied anti-seize on all caliper bolts. From then on, I check them every other year. My last check was early this year rotors when replaced. So far so good.

This thread probably save my hide.

·
Super Moderator
8,406 Posts
I was curious about how removal would be with the helicoils. I’ve had my sti for 9 years 😉

I remember reading somewhere that you dont need as big of a hole to install the time-serts as the helicoils. Can anyone confirm this? I couldnt come up with too much info on the exact sizing of everything in the kit
Removing the bolt with Helicoils? Just like removing any other bolt. They don't back out, unless you did not install correctly. As I posted in this thread 8 years ago, I use Loc-Tite between the Helicoil and caliper.

I've never used a Time-Sert, so I cannot answer that question.

Back in 2010 I read one of these threads here on iwsti. By Jan 2011 I applied anti-seize on all caliper bolts. From then on, I check them every other year. My last check was early this year rotors when replaced. So far so good.

This thread probably save my hide.
If you're checking them every year by loosening and torqueing them back up, I would stop that. That's how aluminum threads (any threaded material, really) wear out.

Too bad they don't just go radial mount on these calipers... But that's probably more expensive and Subaru is pretty cheap.

·
Registered
482 Posts
If i were to do it again, i would have removed the bolts asap when i got the car, apply some copper anti seize, and re torque to like 80-90 ft/lbs. gotta reduce the torque from the 114 ft/lb or so spec when using anti seize. That comes recommended from lots of my own research + my local subi tuner

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just got a 18 sti with 9k miles on it, was wondering the same thing should I loosen them up now when fairly new? Don't want to wait too long, just don't have the time to it yet. I wouldn't torque it

·
Registered
379 Posts
If you put anti-seize on, 80-90 ft/lbs is likely too much. I don't torque these, just guttun...
With anti-seize, I read that you torque to 80%. My fronts have been torqued to 64 lbft and have never worked loose. I don't track and get the calipers hot so I'm not sure how heat cycling would affect it.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts