IW STi Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I've been working on this for the past 2 weeks and can't find a solution. I recently bought a 2011 STI and I'm doing all the maintenance work to it myself, so I can learn more. I changed engine oil, transmission oil, front diff, and now I'm working on the rear diff. The drain plug for the rear diff won't screw back in. I try to tighten it down and it tightens then gets lose again once I continue tightening. I've tested it without the gasket(crush washer) and I just tried tightening with just the bolt and no gasket(crush washer) and it fully tightens when I just use the bolt, but when I put the gasket(crush washer) on the bolt and try tightening it, the bolt will tighten for a few rotations then loosen up again. Looking for any suggestions on what I should try next.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru WRX STI
298 Posts
Sounds like you dont have enough thread, the bolt isnt long enough. You could try going to a hardware store and finding a longer bolt, make sure its the same thread and slightly longer.

Initially, was the bolt torqued down and snug with the gasket before you removed it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like you dont have enough thread, the bolt isnt long enough. You could try going to a hardware store and finding a longer bolt, make sure its the same thread and slightly longer.

Initially, was the bolt torqued down and snug with the gasket before you removed it?

I will try finding a longer bolt. The bolt was very tight when I first tried taking it off to drain the old oil. I had to use a breaker bar and the old gasket looked completely destroyed. Maybe a previous person who worked on it over torqued it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.