IW STi Forum banner

81 - 100 of 203 Posts

·
Banned
182 Posts
Re: Street Machine --> A tale of an 06 Sti, HX35---Black Friday Bonanza

Incredible fabrication work! I'm liking the rotated setup with huge 4" outlet.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Re: Street Machine --> A tale of an 06 Sti, HX35---Black Friday Bonanza

Thx everyone! Id much rather build a part than buy it, even if it costs me a little more up front. Ideally id like to be a little more consistent with my tig control, but that only comes with time. Argon isn't cheap either!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Re: Street Machine --> A tale of an 06 Sti, HX35---More welding

Here is the current state of the intake manifold. I have shaved off a TON of unused tabs and all the casting marks. Just needs to be sand blasted, holes welding, final sanded/smoothed and then Powdercoated.

·
Registered
998 Posts

Don't sand the manifold it'll get all sorts of ridges unless you use a really thick foam pad. Take it to a blasting shop and have them go over it with glass media (walnuts took forever on my IM). It'll be far more purdy when its over.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #85

The sanding thats seen is just the areas where tabs and stuff where grinded off. But ya ill be very careful not to create ridges and unsightly marks. I actually have a small blasting setup that I tested on the back/underside of the manifold with great results.

·
Banned
182 Posts

Nice! Can't wait to see the finished up manifold!

What color do you plan on powder coating it?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #88

I got all of the holes in the manifold welded up today which went smoothly except for 2 casting craters that hid a TON of contaminants and made a mess. Oh well thats just all part of the fun I guess.

I haven't yet decided on the color for the manifold. But Im pretty sure Im going to be doing my wheels, compressor cover, IM and mount plates of my strut bar all the same colour to keep a consistent theme. Should look a little spicier this year!

·
Banned
182 Posts

I got all of the holes in the manifold welded up today which went smoothly except for 2 casting craters that hid a TON of contaminants and made a mess. Oh well thats just all part of the fun I guess.

I haven't yet decided on the color for the manifold. But Im pretty sure Im going to be doing my wheels, compressor cover, IM and mount plates of my strut bar all the same colour to keep a consistent theme. Should look a little spicier this year!
Awesome! Can't wait to see it all done!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #90

This past week or so I bought a pressure sandblaster and decided to build myself a large media blast cabinet so that I can reuse the expensive media. Turned out really good i think. I also powder coated my PS and alternator pulleys black.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Re: Street Machine --> A tale of an 06 Sti, HX35---Blast cabinet and Powder coating

Awesome job man! Pretty soon tho you'll need to build a bigger shop for all the builds you've started haha.

·
Super Moderator
10,691 Posts

This past week or so I bought a pressure sandblaster and decided to build myself a large media blast cabinet so that I can reuse the expensive media. Turned out really good i think. I also powder coated my PS and alternator pulleys black.

[URL=http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc437/I--RIDE--BIKES/IMG_4898_zps73cd9a59.jpg]Image Link
[/URL]

[URL=http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc437/I--RIDE--BIKES/IMG_4899_zps8fe6d898.jpg]Image Link
[/URL]

[URL=http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc437/I--RIDE--BIKES/IMG_4903_zps18098dc8.jpg]Image Link
[/URL]
Very nice blast cabinet.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Re: Street Machine --> A tale of an 06 Sti, HX35---Blast cabinet and Powder coating

You are right on the money Nigel! Im actually working on something along those lines as we speak......

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #95

I got bored the other night so I decide I may as well port and knife-edge my TB.

·
Registered
998 Posts

Damn, did you do that with the mill or the old carbide burr on the die grinder method?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #97

I just used a couple different grits of cartridge rolls and a scotchbrite. Even I was impressed with how it turned out.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #98

Just finished PCing the PS reservoir that I built a couple months ago. Turned out like a store bought item and matches my Perrin AOS perfectly.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #100

update.

I have been very busy for the last month here. I am In the midst of setting up a powder/ceramic coating shop here in Brandon. Ion Coating. It's very exciting, and also extremely time consuming. Either way I can't wait to have everything operational in the very near future.

As for the subi, I have ordered a harness bar, billet aluminum oil filler neck/cap and some muteki sr48 lug nuts. The wheels and remaining engine parts should be coated in the next 3 weeks. She's going to look wild.

81 - 100 of 203 Posts