IW STi Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys which would you chose? I have had expirience with strano before for my F-body and he is awesome but which bar would be better for my subby. I'm thinking RCE springs with top hats and maybe stranos bars or whiteline 27mm adj and 24 on the back. Any ideas, comments.

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
Whiteline FSB, the strano isnt worth the troubles it can cause IMO - I have had both, the strano FSB broke my control arm tab off, I was using street tires too, granted stock strut and springs...

·
Registered
876 Posts
Strano is a great guy and he helped those of us with F-bodies alot back in the day, but his STI bar is not sorted enough in terms of fit and maintenance.

If you run (is it AStock?) a class where you cant change much other than the front bar and the tires, then it makes sense. But for the rest of us, the Whiteline 27-29mm bar up front works amazingly well with stiffer springs (JDM Pinks, etc) all the way up to decent coilovers. With stiffer springs, the Whiteline is more than enough.

I think your plans with the springs and the Whitelines are perfect.

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
^ Hes not bad, his bar isnt horrible either, its just the stupid endlink. I know some people are trying to address that, but anyway we will see what happens there :)

·
Banned
7,256 Posts
FWIW, i did a comparison a while back of the Strano bar and the WL at the stiffest setting. Granted I did not have a strano in hand, but used relative scale from the pics, and knowing distances on the car I think I got pretty close.

From my quickie calculations the strano is about 15% stiffer than the WL.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I'd listen to these guys and go with the Whiteline bars. I've owned both and would take the Whiteline > Strano any day. Don't get me wrong... the Strano bar is a great bar but has too many design flaws to be on the market at this point in time... the Whiteline on the other had was very easy to install and came with everything you need including bushing lube. When I changed from the Strano bar to the Whiteline I felt very little change except that the car was smoother... what I mean by that is with the Strano bar turn-in was terrific but extremely twitchy, making any lengthy curve a challenge to take smoothly (I fault this to the endlink design). Its your decision but if I had to do it again.. I would have gone with Whiteline first. This is not meant to be a rant at Strano.. just telling my experience.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
My Strano is going on tomorrow morning. The broken endlinks are caused by the bar and bushings hitting things, and I've already shaved down the mounting bracket to allow more mobility.

I bought mine used and could see exactly how it was hitting. It's a shame that a few mm of metal can have caused so much trouble. The fix isn't too hard.

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
^ Good luck with that, still pay attention to the effective length of your endlink, I believe the best endlink way is with 2 pillow balls to make it so it doesnt put so much stress on the tab...

·
Super Moderator
10,725 Posts
As one who has removed/installed over a dozen times stock FSB to a Strano and from a Strano to a Whiteline and from Whiteline to a bigger Whiteline on soon to be a dozen cars, here is my Subie cents.

Whiteline vs Strano = Whiteline as my choice. If the car is a daily driver Whiteline hands down, less clunks, less dry stabilizer bushing noise, easier installation. The Strano bar is painted only and rusts horribly, the endlink bushings dry and crack, and the darn link buckets loosen up even with zero bar to bucket contact.

Go with a proven winner, Whiteline is my choice.

BTW, when I had my Strano bar and took it to powder-coating, my coater laughed and said "Oh you got a homemade swaybar"!

If a purpose built autocross car and not driven on the street that much and you can stand the above, Strano may be your choice, there are a number of them available, dirt cheap I must add. I know of one that will be for sale next week as a matter of fact.

Blue

·
Registered
278 Posts
You guys are all on crack.

The Strano bar is just as easy to install as the Whiteline. If a control arm tab broke what do you think would've happened if you used Whitelines solid bar with non-flexable end links? Whitelines paint job is just as crappy as Strano's. With the Strano if you think the bar is too "stiff" and "twitchy" you can soften the endlinks, thereby radically changing the feel via progressive engagement; you can't do that with the Whiteline. As for noise - install it right and there won't be any noise; Strano uses non-poly bushings, and they don't squeek nearly as much as common poly. What you are hearing is your steering rack not being able to deal with lack of slop in the front. Did I mention weight? Strano weighs nothing; Whiteline is a weapon.

·
Super Moderator
10,725 Posts
STInk said:

The Strano bar is just as easy to install as the Whiteline. If a control arm tab broke what do you think would've happened if you used Whitelines solid bar with non-flexable end links? Whitelines paint job is just as crappy as Strano's. With the Strano if you think the bar is too "stiff" and "twitchy" you can soften the endlinks, thereby radically changing the feel via progressive engagement; you can't do that with the Whiteline. As for noise - install it right and there won't be any noise; Strano uses non-poly bushings, and they don't squeek nearly as much as common poly. What you are hearing is your steering rack not being able to deal with lack of slop in the front. Did I mention weight? Strano weighs nothing; Whiteline is a weapon.
Whatever.......I suppose you can install it without removing the subframe.

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
STInk said:

Are you kidding me... if this post is serious you are pretty much all out wrong.

·
Super Moderator
10,725 Posts
>>>Running BIG sways on daily driver?
Views: 1,438 Posted By STInk
When I got my Strano I did all my...

When I got my Strano I did all my testing/adjusting in the pouring rain. It feels great! I don't see any downsides, other than mystery creaks now and then. <<<

By someone accusing others of being on "crack"

1 - 16 of 16 Posts