IW STi Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new noise. It sounds similar to a bad CV joint or wheel bearing going bad. However it is engine speed related. It can only be heard in the first three gears at light to no throttle. Above 35mph tire/ wind noise drowns out the sound. It does seem louder on startup and when the engine is cold.

When you stand back from the car at idle you can hear it. However when you pop the hood to locate the sound it gets drowned out. It is most noticable from inside the cabin where other noises are drowned out.

My current theories are bad bearing in pulley, bad bearing in engine, or piston starting to scuff and wear badly.

Any ideas?

I plan to take it to the dealer as soon as I can. It is about one hour to them from my house or work and if others are hearing this noise it is no problem.

Car data
Build date 03/03 6k miles 92 octane

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Hard to tell what the noise could be because you didn't really describe what the noise sounded like....I have not heard any noise that is present with the car at an idle other than a loud, clicky valve train noise, especially noticeable after engine is warmed up. Other than that, at idle, the car seems fine. At low speeds, with the windows up and slowly accelerating, all I hear is a slight whistle from the turbo and the typical tranny whine.....all sounds pretty cool to me.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have all of these same noises. They were there from day one. This is a new noise that has started about 1 week ago and is getting worse.

It sounds like a bad CV joint but ocours every revolution of some part attached to the crankshaft. The noise is similar to shuffling your feet on carpet

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
So it sounds like a rub???? Hmmm....that doesn't sound good. I've read where different people have experienced weak/bent pullies, but I imagine that if it were your crank pulley, it would be significantly more evident as your car sped up, eventually causing one hell of a vibration. Whatever it is, I would have it checked out....anything that sounds like a rub is not good. But to another issue...you have all the same noises?...loud, clicky valve train, whiney transmission, etc....wonder what it is about these cars that make the valve train so noisy. Does it have something to do with that sequential valve timing BS???

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a service appointment on Monday to check it out. This morning it was horrible when I started the car. It sounds like a belt is slipping but they are all tight. Now the noise continues to get louder. I have located it in the RH side head. The low frequency of the noise suggests valve train. I hope that it is something simple. Rebuilding the engine or a swap would not be any fun.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Mark Mitsubishi in Scottsdale - shady dealer

Man, this noise you have must be way worse than I imagined. Please fill all of us in on what the svc. dept figures out. I spoke with my service dept here yesterday and they said that the 2.5 ltr boxer motor is significantly louder than the regular 2.0 ltr WRX motor....I'm sure there are a lot of us out here that will be interested in hearing what they figure out. If it does require a new motor...no worried man...it's still under warranty....You would get to start fresh again....so besides inconvenience, I think that would be a sweet deal...Let us know....

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mr. Murphy raised his ugly head today. 30 mile drive to the dealership and the noise is mysteriously gone. It was diminished this morning. The only thing that I did from yesterday when it was quite loud till this morning is run 5 Auto-X runs.

Anyone have any ideas on how this would have changed anything? When I fired up the car for the first run I could hear the noise. Now it is totally gone. I am mystified.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts