IW STi Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I broke 2 of my calipers and rotars, and the estimate to replace them was 1960 and that is way to much. So i was thinking of upgrading to the stoptech STI spacific upgraded breaks. They are vented and cross drilled and have 4 piston all the way around, i know our stock breaks are amazing but these should be at least a little better right? Plus the replacement pads are only 95 dollars instead of 4 hundred something. Is this a good idea or bad, cause i can get the stop techs for like 1500 shipped.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Cross drilled brakes aren't going to be better... they have less surface area for the pads to grab, and are prone to cracking. You get what you pay for... Brembos are expensive because they're good.

·
Registered
347 Posts
if that BRAKE system is designed w/ the sti in mind, then it should work well. like dr. evyl said in the previous post, cross drilled ROTORS aren't a very good idea, unless you're just using them on the street. they are sometimes prone to cracking. i would ask some questions, and make sure that those 4 piston rr calipers are compatible w/ the stock master cylinder, or you may have to change that out as well. the stock system is pretty well engineered, and w/ the proper pads and fluid, and some braided lines, would be pretty hard to improve on. if you bolt on a whole bunch more stopping power, you're going to need more traction, as well.

·
Registered
521 Posts
how did you break your calipars and rotors?

·
Registered
454 Posts
My question is more how you can improve on the stock brakes, other than by putting stainless lines on them. Not a lot of room to grow.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
i definately agree with you there. the current setup can lockup the tires (if the abs was disabled) as it is. so, related to norcal's comment, maybe a good braking mod would actually be stickier tires. ;)

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Well from what I have read in other posts, the stock pads don't deal with high stress well. They work great on the street, but go away on a track. Pads can make all the difference.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
This guy raced with stock Brembo calipers and Carbontech pads ... looks like he needs some nice touch-up paint ... :wink:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My friend was barrowing my car and it was in the rain and i guess he wasnt aware of the fact that boost + summer tires + turn = spin out. So he spun my car out and it hit a curb, and i guess the breaks got stuck on the rim and the rotars got hardcore jacked, and they say the capiler is destroyed, i dont know how it was destoryed from that, but o well.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
This is not a flame in any way, but I am genuinely surprised at how many people let their friends drive their sti's, especially without them present!!! :eek: That's not happening in this house!!! My wife can drive it alone, no one else can drive it without me in the passenger seat, and even then there are a max of three people in the world that would be allowed to do so.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
RadarOnPaws said:
This is not a flame in any way, but I am genuinely surprised at how many people let their friends drive their sti's, especially without them present!!! :eek: That's not happening in this house!!! My wife can drive it alone, no one else can drive it without me in the passenger seat, and even then there are a max of three people in the world that would be allowed to do so.
ya kinda fishy too... its always the person's friend that wrecks the car. Nearly every case of an STi crashed, that I've heard of (other then that kid doing donuts then wiping out as leaving school or whatever), have been because their friends were driving their car. I let one friend drive my car, but only with me in it... that car is too fast to just give to people to drive.

Robert~

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I dont let alot of people drive my car, but me and my 3 close friends all swap cars cause we all have nice cars. The day that he crashed my car i was out driving his 70k porsche C4S, so it is all good, he is paying for all of the damage and the car is going to come out with a tone of aftermarket stuff on it, so i am not stressing about it.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Ender2664 said:
I dont let alot of people drive my car, but me and my 3 close friends all swap cars cause we all have nice cars. The day that he crashed my car i was out driving his 70k porsche C4S, so it is all good, he is paying for all of the damage and the car is going to come out with a tone of aftermarket stuff on it, so i am not stressing about it.
you should also tell him to get a rental and let you keep drivin around the c4s until it gets fixed... :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
HOLY POOP! :eek: Those calipers are cooked in that pic. That is amazing that the heat would do that. What was he racing in, a 24 hour endurance race or something? Makes me think twice about taking my STi out on the track and really putting it through it's paces.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I disagree that drilled rotors don't perform better than regular rotors. Drilled rototrs are also MORE suited for the track, rather that the street. Drilled rotors typically crack because of heat cycle...heating and cooling over and over again. They perform much better when they are hot and stay hot..(ie a racetrack). It's true that drilled rotors offer less contact area, but this is offset by their increased ability to get rid of heat, which is what brakes do...convert momentum into heat. I had drilled rotors on my previous car, for 75,000 miles and they never cracked. In my personal opinion, drilled rotors perform much better (assuming that you lare hard on brakes). If you do by drilled rotors, you do run an increased risk of cracking a rotor.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts