IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a year of owning my Sti decided to go from bone stock straight to stage 2 protune. I cant even describe how different the car is now, feels like a got a new car for 2000 bucks. I went with both the APS CAI and turboback, and love the new sounds these have added to the car.

Props to Chris at XXTuning... tune netted me 290 at the wheels and 326 torque while it was 95 degrees and humid in the shop.

Only issue I might be having is a boost spike at 5th and 6th gears. My prosport gauge is showing peak of 23PSI but I know its off by 1-2 PSI...im still defaintly boosting over 20 and I am kinda of worried since the peak during the tune was 19.5.

Bellow are my graphs tell me what you guys think



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,170 Posts
heck yes... a 60-100hp difference always puts a smile on any owners car :) but thats about the safest/most reliable gains you can get with these cars...congrats on the new power!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,009 Posts
reeksti said:
its usually around $300-$350
AMS the home of the worlds fastest EVO has been developing new parts and tune for the Subaru STI. They now offer the Cobb AP. Their Protune (awd dyno) costs only $200. Im not sure why the other places charge more than that. They arent tuning a Motec from scratch... :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yea its defaintly WHP ;) and my tune was 300.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,162 Posts
Thing is you can make the sti much faster,but for the money vs. perf. gain its amazing. It's nice not to pay an insane amm. per hp that you don't even get.

I got my catback for 100, dp for 220, ap for 450 and a tune for 180. gained a large amm of pwr.

Other people spend that much and literally get like 1/10 the hp (not sti owners)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,268 Posts
Great numbers!!!:tup:

Chris at XX tuned my 07' and will be retuning next month (Aug) for Meth inj. and header. He is the bomb and will answer pm's on these forums like he knows you.

Props to Chris @ XX and to your numbers.

Joe in RI
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,324 Posts
Clark_Kent said:
Many DynaPack graphs will say "flywheel hp" when in fact it is whp.
The part of the Dynapack which connects to your wheel hubs is called the flywheel as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
429 Posts
You went with the APS CAI and TBE. How are they?

Does the APS tbe have the signature STI sound that I have grown to know and love? The CAI sound good? I am looking into the same setup.

Any info would be great! I only have 9k miles on my car. Would you have made the stage 2/protune jump sooner if you knew the benefits?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,603 Posts
cpunlamd said:
AMS the home of the worlds fastest EVO has been developing new parts and tune for the Subaru STI. They now offer the Cobb AP. Their Protune (awd dyno) costs only $200. Im not sure why the other places charge more than that. They arent tuning a Motec from scratch... :eek:
Because other places have been tuning Subaru WRX/STi's since their introduction to the US in 2002. People pay for a service we provide, the quality of that service, and the background and knowledge that gets put into every tune we do... We tune EVO's too, but you don't see us claiming to be the best EVO shop on the east coast just because we can tune them. Many of the EVO shops are turning to Subaru because of the failing EVO market, nothing wrong with it, but there is still a learning curve to tuning Subaru over any other car.. These cars don't react well to "classic" tuning methodology, and to be honest, tuning an EVO is almost "entry level tuning" compared to tuning a Subaru. Also, you are correct, this is not like tuning a stand alone, I get $1500 to $2000 to tune full stand alone units. If you pay $300 to tune a stand alone from scratch, you are not getting the full potential of your cars ability to drive well and make good power on a consistent basis.

Glad your happy John. Thanks for the compliments.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
StylesJim said:
You went with the APS CAI and TBE. How are they?

Does the APS tbe have the signature STI sound that I have grown to know and love? The CAI sound good? I am looking into the same setup.

Any info would be great! I only have 9k miles on my car. Would you have made the stage 2/protune jump sooner if you knew the benefits?
Yes the APS turboback amplifies the deep boxer rumble and it sounds amazing...the CAI sounds like you have a BOV on without the crap performance BOV produce. Both are not as loud as some other products out there but I love the performance you get out of both of them and the not to loud or not to quiet sound.

As for making the stage 2 jump sooner, I would wait a couple more thousand miles at least, reason being is you want to make sure your car does not have any kinks in it before you start modding, so you can get everything fixed/replaced with no hassels of "it was caused by your mod" from dealers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,306 Posts
jsnuff1 said:
Yes the APS turboback amplifies the deep boxer rumble and it sounds amazing...the CAI sounds like you have a BOV on without the crap performance BOV produce. Both are not as loud as some other products out there but I love the performance you get out of both of them and the not to loud or not to quiet sound.

As for making the stage 2 jump sooner, I would wait a couple more thousand miles at least, reason being is you want to make sure your car does not have any kinks in it before you start modding, so you can get everything fixed/replaced with no hassels of "it was caused by your mod" from dealers.
I put my mods on at 8K, i was kicking myself for not doing it earlier... if i just put it on (now about 3 months later) i would be very upset for not doing it earlier.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
373 Posts
I just went from stock to stage 2 tuned as well.....Holy Crap...it's is like a completely new motor. I can't actually believe I thought the stock was fast....stage 2 tuned is so much better.

Pulls and keeps pulling on my car. Anyone with a stock STI is missing out....easiest and most noticeable upgrade.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
jasonlee4180 said:
I just went from stock to stage 2 tuned as well.....Holy Crap...it's is like a completely new motor. I can't actually believe I thought the stock was fast....stage 2 tuned is so much better.

Pulls and keeps pulling on my car. Anyone with a stock STI is missing out....easiest and most noticeable upgrade.
When you guys saying ProTune, is that mean having the Cobb Accessport and get a custom map into the AP? Or just reflast the stock ECU map??
I still can't sell myself for $500 bucks for just a map.
 
1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Top