IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my timeslip from the last time i was at the track:

Im going again this wednesday to see if i cant get into the low 13's :D

Only mod since is a gfb stealth fx bov which seems to be holding boost better and the power delivery is smoother and more responsive.

Any tips on getting a better 60' time?? (I usually hold it at 5.5k and feather the clutch out while flooring it)

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Let the clutch out faster..... and apparently you can build boost by gassing it repeatedly instead of holding steady rpm....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the vid, i practiced doing those launches like that a few times and it did feel a little better so im gonna try that wednesday when i go and see what happens

·
Registered
647 Posts
MidnightRallySTi said:
thanks for the vid, i practiced doing those launches like that a few times and it did feel a little better so im gonna try that wednesday when i go and see what happens
Just make sure to have enough air in the tires and to not dump the clutch. Don't want you to break an axle...

RN

·
Registered
347 Posts
great videos!!!! if i had someplace like that in my area, i'd go broke buying tires!

·
Registered
647 Posts
norcal-sti said:
great videos!!!! if i had someplace like that in my area, i'd go broke buying tires!
Thanks. It's hard to keep from traveling over there (1 hour) to do stuff since I love to cut loose with this car.

RN

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

well i went to the track tonite and im much more pleased with the launching but am still confused why the mph was so slow on my good runs :-?

dont mind that slip on the far right, i accidentally popped the clutch and the tires just absolutely got cancer and spun all through first and when i jammed it into second gear, the revs dropped to 3k so i knew then it wasnt going to be a pretty run (good trap time tho) :roll:

i raced my roomate in his 2 week old rx8 all three times and as you can see i waxed him pretty good :lol:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Our trap speeds are about the same

My first time ever at the drag strip was two weekends ago. I ran [email protected] mph and then they kicked me out for not having a helmet. Went back last weekend (with helmet lol) and ran 13.5 @ 101. My 60' was only a 1.9 but I maxed out every shift to redline and shifted fast and well too. I don't know if our traps are really that slow. What are other bone stock sti's trapping. Also, say I drop my 60' times down to the 1.7 range what would my et have been on the 13.5 run approx? I think I was having traction problems which caused my 60' to be so bad. I heard a lot of clunking from the rear when I launched and it seemed like I wasn't really going anywhere. Would that have been wheel spin or something else. Also, if it was wheel spin should I drop the tire pressure at all. It is still set at 40 psi or so like it came when I bought it.

·
Registered
647 Posts
urabusWRX said:
Our trap speeds are about the same

My first time ever at the drag strip was two weekends ago. I ran [email protected] mph and then they kicked me out for not having a helmet. Went back last weekend (with helmet lol) and ran 13.5 @ 101. My 60' was only a 1.9 but I maxed out every shift to redline and shifted fast and well too. I don't know if our traps are really that slow. What are other bone stock sti's trapping. Also, say I drop my 60' times down to the 1.7 range what would my et have been on the 13.5 run approx? I think I was having traction problems which caused my 60' to be so bad. I heard a lot of clunking from the rear when I launched and it seemed like I wasn't really going anywhere. Would that have been wheel spin or something else. Also, if it was wheel spin should I drop the tire pressure at all. It is still set at 40 psi or so like it came when I bought it.
Why would you need a helmet for 13.8?

RN

·
Registered
43 Posts
renichms said:
Why would you need a helmet for 13.8?

RN

[shrug] they told me after I made that pass that 13.99 and down requires a helmet and they would not let me run again. Is this not the policy everywhere? Maybe it is an inhouse rule [/shrug]
I didn't think I would need the helmet either or else I would have taken my bike helmet. Oh well, I know now.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Winter Tires! Fulda Kristall Rotego For STi

13.99 and lower requiring a helmet is not normal...Darlington doesn't require it and neither does Steele.

RN

·
Registered
454 Posts
renichms said:
13.99 and lower requiring a helmet is not normal...Darlington doesn't require it and neither does Steele.
Actually, yes it is normal. NHRA rules state that all drivers of vehicles 13.99 seconds and faster must wear an approved helmet.

Your track just isn't enforcing it.

·
Registered
647 Posts
DrEvyl said:
renichms said:
Actually, yes it is normal. NHRA rules state that all drivers of vehicles 13.99 seconds and faster must wear an approved helmet.

Your track just isn't enforcing it.
I've asked and they said it wasn't required. And at what point would the 1/8 mile track require it?

RN

·
Registered
270 Posts
Difference between Multicolored, Blue, and Clear Fog Lights

i know here at Bristol TN, they require a helmet if under 13.99.. and no passengers.

·
Registered
240 Posts
13.04 and dropping!! just need to get my lauching down.all i've done is turbo back turbo xs and ground wires oh yeah and an intake pipe.any suggestions to push her into the 12's?thanks:)

·
Registered
647 Posts
slvrsti said:
13.04 and dropping!! just need to get my lauching down.all i've done is turbo back turbo xs and ground wires oh yeah and an intake pipe.any suggestions to push her into the 12's?thanks:)
Drive faster. ;)

Launch it well, shift at the right time and shift REALLY fast. Reduce weight. With the turbo-back, you should be good for 12s. My downpipe is in and we've got a mini competition with some other guys at the track coming up...unfortunately, I may be one of the slower cars there. :(

RN

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Improving engine response for 2004 sti ?

went dragging on friday and got this: :D

i did a diy grounding kit mod the night before so the ecu was still learning itself some but i can definitely feel the difference in power delivery :wink:

i also never bounced of the rev limiter or hit fuel cut which im told makes the ecu retard timing in the next gear quite a bit so that also helped :D

1 - 20 of 39 Posts