IW STi Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to admit that the stock Bridgestone tires are absolutely the WORST tire you could ever own in the snow. I'm a very spirited driver in the snow and I was absolutely terrified on the 20 mile trip to work I had to make one day, in about 1.5 inches of snow. The absolute lack of brakes was the worst part. Shortly thereafter, I purchased a set of of Pirelli P zero-nero's all seasons, and the improvement was 100000%. Now I look for unplowed roads to enjoy. In the dry, they do seem to have less bite, as it's easier to get the back end to come out on corner exits. In the rain, I'm not sure. I've heard alot of complaints about the RE070 in the rain, but I thought they did rather well (they rode like shit and sounded like school bus in any condition). I've yet to try either tire in "hot weather" though. If anyone's interested, I'll sell the RE070's for a reasonable price (they have about 900 miles on them) and show virtually no wear. If you're interested, email me. One question, though...Does anyone know any decent performance upgrades that will actually improve functionality (gas mileage, powerband...) while improving handling or power?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
You have cash!! $25 that is!

Uhm, the RE070's are summer tires. The will be very unsafe in the snow...why did you have reason to believe they'd be OK?

·
Registered
326 Posts
I agree...I didn't think a tire could be that bad in the snow but yea

those stock tires are terrible... I had winter tires on order but it took months to get them..(rims held it up...finally cancelled the rim order and got tarmak II's instead from subydude.com.)

anyway lets see there has been snow off and on here since the start of october... stock tires. = death trap..slid all the time.. new blizzaks...not a single out of control slide/manouver yet....not even close actually.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Bend EVO's?

Yeah, still not sure if I should sell my stockers as well...I live in Seattle, so you know it rains a fair bit (not so much in the summer, but still...). They also have only about 900 miles on them, so I'm wondering if I should even bother to put them back on in the summer...

Oh, I have siped Toyo Proxes ZF4's on now.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I guess that ignorance is bliss....I liked the RE070's as compared to the all seasons I now have on the car.
It's one of those things where I don't know what's out there and am happy with the stockers..so I guess I'll drive them to the ground then go look around for a replacement.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The OEM's are a great tool for novices learning to drive in the snow. Just don't do it on a public road.

I have the NERO's (bought then the same day I purchased my STi 12/29/03) and they are excellent in the NH cold and do quite well on the icy hard pack we have gotten so far.

Save the RE070's for your summer skins. Dive hard all the time!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Billy_Talent said:
Yeah, still not sure if I should sell my stockers as well...I live in Seattle, so you know it rains a fair bit (not so much in the summer, but still...). They also have only about 900 miles on them, so I'm wondering if I should even bother to put them back on in the summer...

Oh, I have siped Toyo Proxes ZF4's on now.
I live in Seattle as well... still have the stockers on, and you know what the weather has been like for the last month. So far I have no complaints on how they are in the rain. Even took it out and autocrossed it in the rain on RE070s, and they did just fine.

I wouldn't even think of driving it on snow with RE070s. I did once, that that was enough. I just crashed the bucks for some winter tires... and when I need to drive in the snow, I'll put them on. Otherwise, I'll leave the RE070s on the car.

·
Registered
343 Posts
beavis said:
I have to admit that the stock Bridgestone tires are absolutely the WORST tire you could ever own in the snow.
I'm surprised that you are SO surprised.

STi owners in the snow regions either:

A. Don't drive it in the snow (what a shame).

B. Change their 070s to a set of dedicated snows on the stock rims.

C. Have a dedicated set of wheels and snow tires for the winter months.

To have all-seasons on the STi is like making Michael Jordon wear cross-trainers to play basketball.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Do the P-Zero Nero M+S give up a noticeable amount of grip in the summer. I am still using the RE070's in about 3 inches of snow right now. I am driving cautiously and really haven't had any trouble to my surprise. I live in KY and we only get a few snowfalls a year worth talking about. I am torn between giving up some summer time traction for an all season tire that may or may not be noticeably inferior. What do you guys think? Will I notice a big loss of traction in the summer if I go to a ultra high performance all season tire like the P-Zero's? Any feedback appreciated. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As far as street traction, I don't think that the performance sacrafice is terribly significant for the P-zeros. I'm assuming that you don't continuously push the car to it's limits on your way to Wal-Mart or run from the police on a daily basis. I live in an area with seriously windy roads and I have no complaints. Personally, I feel that the P-Zero's are superior to the RE070's. They ride much better and are quieter by a factor of 10. If I were to to run my car on a track, I would probably choose a different tire, though. Since my roads have potholes and I really don't feel like buying tires twice a year, the choice is obvious. As far as rain traction, I feel that both of the tires do equally well. As far as snow traction...I won't even comment. I'm very surprised that you don't have trouble with the bridestones. Perhaps you're fortunate and you don't need to turn or stop when it snows. Regardless, you're missing out on quite a bit of fun by not having a more capable tire for snow days. Ultimately, I'd like to get a set of winter rims so I can put some "real" winter tires on, simply to have serious winter traction. Then I could get summer tires as well (not the RE070's...something with some actual treadwear). Hope this helps !!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Doing Zaino right the first time

Oh...and just for the record....I never figured that the RE070's would be good in the snow. I figured that even a "summer" tire with full tread on an AWD car should get reasonable enough traction to make it through one winter.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I figured that even a "summer" tire with full tread on an AWD car should get reasonable enough traction to make it through one winter.
This is my sentiments exactly. I would like to have a summer tire that will make through every winter with cautious to normal driving. I do not want to change wheels and tires when the seasons change. If anyone feels that they know of such a tire please speak up. I realize no tire will perform at the highest level in every condition, however I would like to think that our all wheel drive system makes up for some or most of the traction a summer tire loses in the rain or light snow.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: All wheel drive does not mean you can stop any faster than the rest of the world.

If you want the best of both worlds get an ultra-high performance all season tire. UHP summer tires are NOT worth using on snow. You're not saving money, even if you think you are. Eventually they'll slide more than you want them too, and you'll end up in a ditch, paying more than the cost of winter tires.

Besides, the RE070's are more expesive to replace anyway, it's cheaper to swap out for a winter tire.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts