IW STi Forum banner

Stock Hood Protector installed- NOT exactly what you think

Exterior 
3K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  RockBlocker 
#1 ·
I didn't want to pay the $300+ for a clear bra, but wanted something to protect my hood.

So, I worked a stock hood protecter into my purchase-very skeptical about how it was going to look. They had to order it; I dropped the car off yesterday to have that (and fog lights) installed.

When I came to pick it up I couldn't even tell it was on there until I was w/in 8 ft. of the car. And when I did get close I dug what I saw!

They just developed a special low-profile hood protecter for the STI, and it is very slick looking. The service mngr. said it's only been available for 2 weeks, and even their sales rep. didn't know about it until he saw mine.
I'll post a pic tonight.

Anyway, it is nothing like the ugly one for the base WRX and is much less obtrusive. It will definetely be staying on; deal @ $76 (MSRP).

#2 ·
I still doubt it will protect like a clear bra though. I clear bra'd almost my whole car :) including the hood, front of fenders, scoop, bumper, headlights, side mirrors, bottom of doors and the rear bumper sides. It cost a bunch of money but I think it's well worth it in the long term. For the price the hood protector sounds good though, better than nothing. Do they come in body color? That might not look so bad.

#3 ·
Window screech

Scuba_Steve said:
I still doubt it will protect like a clear bra though. Do they come in body color?
No, of course, it will not protect like a bra.
The HP is for those who want a cost-effective way to save their hood from the vast majority of noticable paint dings (the ones that hit the lower few inches of your hood).

In my opinion the most noticable rock dings are the ones on the end of a hood. They just seem to jump out at you in this area. The HP will more than suffice to alleviate that problem.

But, I doubt it will come in anything other than black; so it will not be as transparent for those w/out black STIs.

#5 ·
Stikya said:
so it will not be as transparent for those w/out black STIs.
Here is are 2 pics of my car w/ the HP. Both pics are w/in 2-4 ft. of the car. From straight on you can't even see it, you have to get close and be at a decent side angle before it is noticable at all.

And even at that I still think it looks fine.

And before someone askes, NO, it does not bolt or screw into the hood. it attaches under the hood. Those small rivets hold a silicone pad that keep the HP from actually toughing the hood and scratching it.

Attachments

#9 ·
yxan2 said:
sounds like getting a POS car for nasty weather driving is almost cheaper than having a clear bra installed :)

That was my choice! By the time i put a winter wheel package on, and then protected the hood, it was cheaper to keep my old car instead of trading it in.

So the STi will go in the garage in a few weeks and come back out in April.

#10 ·
please people, have some respect and DO NOT put one of these plastic truck bug-guards on your STi :roll:

And whats the point of protecting the front edge of your hood if your just going to drive around and let your bumper get completely sandblasted, just ask some of the guys that have been driving regular WRXs since 02 how their bumpers looked after a few thousand miles. :cry:

#11 ·
The hood protector doesnt look bad on the black cars and is cheaper alternative to the clear bra, but other colors are no good. Looks to out of place.

I would like to point a fact I think you missed about the clear bra and why you didnt get. Most people get a full kit which covers a lot more of the car than the hood, but what you didnt compare the hood protector to is the JUST the clear bra piece for the hood ONLY.

I see you paid $76 for the hood protector.
I can get anyone the hood and fender clear bra pieces for $56. You would just need to get it installed which should be less than $50. Don't you think that is pretty comparable in price.

I was quoted like 750 bucks for a rock guard for my car
You nad I have chatted on another board about price, but I think it is worht mentioning. You can get the full kit for $266 from us. Making kits affordable is what we try to do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.