IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just an FYI for anyone looking to replace the stock fogs. I bought a set of Luminic 2500K since the PIAA ones are not available (or have warranty here in the US). The installation was very easy, thanks to talsnic's post.

Stock fogs:

2500K fogs:

Comparison:

·
Premium Member
7,482 Posts
Do our fog lights use 9006 bulbs? If so, I think 9012 HIRs would be an option too. I thought I read about someone using those for their '08 fogs. I'm using 9011 HIR for my highbeams and they make a huge difference.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do our fog lights use 9006 bulbs? If so, I think 9012 HIRs would be an option too. I thought I read about someone using those for their '08 fogs. I'm using 9011 HIR for my highbeams and they make a huge difference.
Yup, they use 9006 bulbs. Let us know how the 9012 works out.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I've done the 9012's for the fogs. No more difficult than doing the 9011 in the high beams. The 9012's are definitely better, but the HID low beams are so damned bright down low that the difference is not enormously obvious from inside the car when out on the road. However, the car is much more visible to oncoming traffic in very foggy conditions (which we have a fair amount of around here) since the fogs lack the sharp cutoff and cast light higher far in front of the car.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Removing the fogs and adding brake ducting would be even better. Both bulbs look useless. If it's foggy you just aim the headlights slightly down.

·
Premium Member
7,482 Posts
If you think about it, brake ducts on a street driven car are about as useless as the stock fog lights. About 90% of an average STI's life is probably spent on the road, not the track.

I haven't seen a really good ducting solution for the GR anyhow. :D

Removing the fogs and adding brake ducting would be even better. Both bulbs look useless. If it's foggy you just aim the headlights slightly down.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
If you think about it, brake ducts on a street driven car are about as useless as the stock fog lights. About 90% of an average STI's life is probably spent on the road, not the track.

I haven't seen a really good ducting solution for the GR anyhow. :D
Agreed, but I do DE/track days/autocross so I am going to figure out a way to set up brake ducts.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I am very disappointed in the stock fog lamps, they have a very poor pattern (I've twice had PIAA lamps that greatly increased side lighting), are overwhelmed by headlights and can not be turned on with the parking lights.

I decided therefor they are pretty much for decoration only and I've always liked the look of yellow lamps, so I got some yellow Hella (Optilux) bulbs... cost like $17. Look pretty good.

PS. I'd stay away from PIAA bulbs. I stopped using them even in my PIAA fog lamps - they burn out quickly and cost a fortune.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts