IW STi Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
I wonder what sort of corrections they're making from wheel to crank...

·
Registered
541 Posts
APS has fully imported a US specification STI and complete engine for engineering and development purposes.
I think maybe they had the thing out of the car on an engine dyno. They wouldn't need any corrections in this case.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
you think its because of the octane? I mean they said what they were running was equivilant to our 94. What does subaru make the power on? (91, 93, 94, etc)? If they did 300hp on 91, then 311 on 94 wouldnt be too far off I wouldnt think (especially since its crank hp).

Robert~

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
You'd think since they ask that 94 be used and that anything lesser is inferior that they used 94 in their tests as well.

Either way....kinda just backs up what a lot of us were thinking....that sucker is underrated!

·
Registered
357 Posts
That is about right. I estimated 308-310 HP at the crank myself. The EVO has 300 HP stock.

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,520 Posts
CloNeGTS said:
Either way....kinda just backs up what a lot of us were thinking....that sucker is underrated!
I'm all about that! 8)

Can't wait to do a baseline on mine after I break her in. :D

·
Registered
986 Posts
Interesting they have a Dyno Dynamics Dyno just like the one Vishnu uses (Shiv run my WRX many times there). Yet his entries are more like 218hp at the wheels. What do the folks at APS saw at the wheels?

Cheers

Nick

·
retired mod
4,012 Posts
APS imported a complete USDM STi aswell as a USDM STi engine. there evo 8 (U.S spec) made 264.9hp using the same fuel and dyno. also they have started their research into the engine. APS products working with USDM STi: cool air intake, pod air intake, D/R 650 and 500 FMIC, all their exhaust systems and their BOV's... here is their initial findings...

The 2004 model US Specification STI is a unique model in many ways. Just some of those already identified are as follows:

Side feed 480 cc injectors (350 flywheel horsepower at 11.0:1 A/F ration, 100% duty cycle). This is in stark contrast to the International Specification vehicle with its 565 cc top feed units.
Although it does not appear at first sight to be so, the turbocharger's physical configuration is unique. No other VF Series turbocharger (nor current APS unit) will directly interchange.
In common with most VF Series units, the turbocharger is airflow limited to approximately 350 flywheel horsepower.
The stock ECU's operating software and loom hardware are unlike any other late model WRX.
As is quite well known, the throttle butterfly is drive by wire.
APS is by no means suggesting these are the only differences. Quite possibly more will come to light in due course. In the mean time, the following current production APS components have been proven to be applicable in enhancing the engine performance of the US Specification STI.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I disagree completely with APS's findings. The turbos can interchange and the flanges are the same. The unit can flow more than 350 crank HP. Hell, I got 375 crank HP with the stock puny intercooler and no engine management. APS makes some great turbos and IC's but I certainly do not agree with their findings.

·
retired mod
4,012 Posts
they said around 350, they were going by how it has the same restrictor on it as all VF series turbochargers. as for the flange, i dont know why they couldnt get it to fit, i myself thought it would be wierd for IHI to suddenly change it on the VF series...

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,520 Posts
scubaru said:
Can't wait to do a baseline on mine after I break her in.
Dude...we should hook up when you get your wheels? Are you an SCCA member?
Give me a few more weeks. . .

And not yet, although I did very well my very first time out on the autox course with the Civic almost a month ago. $2000 in suspension mods does a Civic good. Well, that and some very aggressive driving.

Just went to Champs Karting on Bothell-Everett Hwy last night (my friends took me there for my birthday) and I owned everyone on their course. Even pre-qualled for the turbo cars while I was at it. :p

Before we're told to take this to a PM conversation. . . I'll just leave my mobile number. . . we should hook up in the very near future and hang for a while. :D

Art

1 - 14 of 14 Posts