IW STi Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I got my STi a month ago (Silver w/ Gold rims). I come from a '96 Nissan 300ZX TT so I'm not new to Turbo cars. As part of the deal I got the Turbo gauge (in the Nissan the factory gauge was infamous for being innacurate) but this gauge looks "better" (more like an aftermarket unit). Anyways I read that factory max boost is 14.5PSI (Nissan stock was 9 - 10PSI). I also read that in 1st and 2nd you only get 7.5PSI. Well it seems to do that in 1st and 2nd (gauge read .05MPa wich converts to 7.25PSI) but I had gunned it in 4th and the gauge reads a max of .07MPa wich converts to only 10PSI. Mind you being in the break-in period I havent let the engine rev past 4000RPM. Is MAX boost only attainable after 4000RPM or there is something wrong with my car?. (On the Nissan, being the boost only controlled by wg springs and being 3.0 liters I would get max stock boost at 3000-3500RPM.)

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
That sounds normal for the break in. Welcome to the board and just give it time :) You'll be able to let it rip soon enough!! :D

Robert~

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Max boost is only attainable after 4000 and starts to taper off around 6000 with factory ecu programming.there is nothing wrong with your car

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Also remember that if you're letting off at 4000 you probably arent holding it down 100% and immediately pulling your foot off at 4000, but letting off a little early (so that you dont fly past 4000rpms) so after you break it in, try again and see :) Im sure you wont be dissapointed.

Robert~

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys...Still 400miles until the 1000miles mark to see what this puppy can really do...

·
Registered
510 Posts
I was wondering the exact same thing myself....and oddly enough, I had a '92 300ZX Twin Turbo myself....boy do I miss that car...anyway, I'm at 1100km's....supposed to wait until 1600ish to give it.....well, tonight I had an Eclipse line up beside me at the lights....the schmuck was revving is engine to let me know that he was going to give it...I couldn't resist...I let him take off first and then that was it, I let it go....the car actually chirped from 1st to 2nd....that surprised me, I took him so badly...that it was no contest. I have the pilar mounted boost meter too, normal driving yeilds about .05MPa...I had to really give it hard to make it read around .1MPa...what the one guy wrote about passing 4k rpm and staying on it seems to be like mine. I will go it another time and try to watch the boost level.

mk

ps, I don't care for street racing....this was one of those times when the place was perfect for it, long stretch, nobody around. I usually don't bother with it though. I prefer tight twisty roads and hiway on/off ramps. I just don't want anyone to give me crap about a little off the line fun!

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
I won't. I had some dude in an Eagle Talon TSx or something like that try to impress me tonight. I was behind him, he started flying around corners so fast he was getting sideways, so I kept up with him (without any sliding) and when he turned a corner and got into the left lane of the two lanes going our direction, I whipped around him in the right lane and blew by him and back into the left lane right as the right lane came to an end. I made him look very very slow.

Earlier this week, some guy in a BMW 323i kept trying to race me and every light he would pull up and rev and inch forward. I finally got tired of him and as I drove along at 40 with him right on my bumper, I finally took off and dusted him handily. He tried to keep up (I could only tell because he was leaving the other two cars on the road behind at a rather quick rate) but he didn't stand a chance. I hope he knows more about funny blue Subarus now than he did earlier in the week.

I am like you, normally I don't race, don't like it, especially since people who try to race will usually do stupid things to win, but sometimes, when you've had 3 or 4 people challenge you in a two-day timeframe, you finally get tired of it and decide to kick the snot out of the next idiot that gives it a go. Then you can ignore all the next few idiots! :lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts