IW STi Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any way I can make my car breathe a little better and make it louder with the stock airbox? Someone said to drill a few holes in the airbox, but would that really do anything or just a waste of time?

I will eventually be getting a K&N Typhoon system, but until then I was just curious if I could "mod" the stock airbox.

·
Registered
993 Posts
remove the silencar locayed in the fender.
you can also then remove the top off the airbox and get some sound

·
Registered
900 Posts
1. take of front left wheel
2. pull out front half of fender liner
3. cut silencer portion off of the elbow that connects the air scoop to the air box.
4. if you want you can patch the hole or just buy a silencer delete elbow off of site vendor and then you won't have to cut your own just replace one elbow + silencer with an elbow.
You will get more sound but I don't believe it will really affect the restrction of the factory intake.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
What do you mean by removing the top of the airbox? The MAF sensor is connected to the hose.

I also removed the air filter and clamped the airbox back on to see what it would sound like and its alot louder.. but I'm not sure if its the best idea to drive without an air filter? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
900 Posts
Zach STI said:
What do you mean by removing the top of the airbox? The MAF sensor is connected to the hose.

I also removed the air filter and clamped the airbox back on to see what it would sound like and its alot louder.. but I'm not sure if its the best idea to drive without an air filter. :rolleyes:
please don't run without an air filter, that is a terrible idea, unless you really don't like your car.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The airflow is more than adequate. If what you want is noise, yank out the silencer and call it good. Turbo & BPV will be noticable, but not nearly as pronounced as when you put on the K&N.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts