IW STi Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the decible level of the 2004 stock STI? Im asking because I got a ticket for modified exhaust that I have to get marked off by the state ref. They check the sound of the exhaust and make sure its 95 decibles or lower.

I am going to trade someone my modified exhaust for a stock 04-06 STI exhaust. I have AEM cold air intake and a bov on, would I be able to pass the test easily with the stock STI exhaust? Or possibly with my HKS carbon-ti, does anyone know about this stuff?

·
Registered
15 Posts
The stock exhaust on an sti will pass. You can also buy a db meeter at radio shack and test it yourself. At about 3500 rpm and about 2 feet away from the exhaust tip. GL!

·
Registered
601 Posts
If you are in CA you will need to remove the BOV and the CAI unless they have CARB #'s. If the BOV is VTA it is illegal, you are not allowed to vent anything to atmosphere.

TMS

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
the stock exhaust has to be below the limit for the dealer to sell it....

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TheMadScientist said:
If you are in CA you will need to remove the BOV and the CAI unless they have CARB #'s. If the BOV is VTA it is illegal, you are not allowed to vent anything to atmosphere.

TMS
What are carb #'s and how do I find out if they have them. I bought my car from a dealer in southern california with the BOV, CAI and exhaust. Its a AEM cold air intake and a HKS blow-off valve, do you know if they even make BOV's that are VTA that go on a 04 STI? Or maybe they only make ones with VTA I dont know...

·
Registered
569 Posts
your in for a tough fight with the stealership. It is illegal for them to sell you a vehicle that is illegally modified. It will be up to you to fight with them to have the legal factory parts replaced at no cost to you.

if found guilty in court you will need to take your case to small claims court and the stealership may be applicable to a fine (from the state of ca) for selling you a vehicle with illegal parts on it, in addition to not correcting the illegal parts.

there is of course the "as is" loophole if you purchased the car "as is" your fubared.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What exactly do you mean by this Illusive...
there is of course the "as is" loophole if you purchased the car "as is" your fubared.

I dont know what fubared means...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts