IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Definately a noob when it comes to WRXs and STIs, so please forgive my ignorance.

I was in the market to buy an EVO. I researched all about them, and I soon realized the EVOs come with many problems. I've read that they are grinding in gears from the syncros, the clutches go bad right away, rotors need to be changed around 30k miles, and the calipers fade easily. The transfer cases also need to be replaced and alot of problems.

I've learned that alot of these problems occur when not even being modded. The grinding from the syncros, clutch, and rotors/calipers going bad are just from normal everyday driving.

This was definately a turning point when I was deciding to purchase an EVO. I mean, I DO plan on modding my car after I purchase it; However, I don't want to be spending "mod" money on stuff that needs to be fixed right off the bat. Stuff that I believe shouldn't be going bad from the factory!

Anyways, I was just curious if the STIs had similar problems, stock. I understand with a high torque car, that the clutch will eventually start to slip. Also, I understand if you are launching your car or don't know how to drive, the clutch will go bad. So the clutch wasn't THAT big of a deal. However, the things I listed about the EVO just seem to be problems that shouldn't be problems on a stock car.

Sorry for the long post. I just am really curious to know more about the STI's quality from the factory. If I purchased a stock STI, would I be needed to change things from A-Z, before I even mod it?

Thanks

·
Murderer & Drug Dealer
11,940 Posts
STis are generally considered more reliable. The transmissions are nearly bulletproof and as long as you have the car correctly tuned, mods are generally fine. Except for BOVs. :lol:

The STI's main quirk is rear strut clunk, and the myriad noises, creaks, and grinds that scare the uninitiated but are almost always meaningless.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Check the FAQ section of the Forums - http://www.iwsti.com/forums/faq-newbie-forum/

Also, if you're thinking about a new STi, there are GR (2008/2009) specific-forums - http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gr-series-sti-discussion-2008/

You can do some reading and see what others have to say.

Hint - if you buy an STi (or any other car) don't start modifying it until you know the car thoroughly and until you have the capability as a driver to exceed the capabilities of the car. In other words, there's no good reason to have 350 HP when you can't fully make use of 300 HP.

Gary

·
Registered
12,474 Posts
you'll want a good tune right off the bat...

but keep stock for a little while, just in case something pops up. (hey, you never know!)

J.

·
Banned
7,832 Posts
I was in the same position as you almost 2 years ago. I was set on an EVO IX MR until I talked to previous owners and read up on them. I pretty much came to the same conclusion as you did and decided not to buy an EVO because they didn't seem like they were built very well.

05/06 STI's are pretty much bullet proof, the new ones not so much. I'm at 75k miles on my 05 with over 40k of that at stage 2 with many track miles logged. I'm on my stock clutch, no transmission issues and the only thing I had to have replaced was the struts because they were clunking. I don't baby this car at all, it has seen many 5k+ RPM launches and so far has held it's own. :tup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow. Thanks guys for the quick responses. :eek:

I figuired the STIs were built better than the EVOs. I mean, my gosh, I've never heard of any car wit the problems that the EVO has or will have. However, all I've owned are toyotas, and I've never had a "powerful" car before.

Anyways, thanks for the tips about the the links where to read more up. And definately thanks about the info on the 05/06s being like tanks. That'll be definately good to keep in mind if I ever see a low mileage one here locally.

Not TOO excited about knowing there are creaks and noises that come from the car. I am already borderline psychotic from the rattles coming from my other car.

Anyways, I'll continue looking into the STI!

If I continue to pursue a buildable fast car, I believe the STI will be the one. :tup:

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
WOW! if i knew how to do sigs on this website i would so sig that comment man.... nothing could be more true. :tup:
I can't take credit for the original quote. But I can certainly confirm it from my own experience of following Corvettes and Vipers around the track. They run away from you on the straights only to be caught from behind in the braking zones. Then they hold up traffic through the corners and then put the hammer down when you come to the next straight.

None of those guys ever look like they're having that much fun tiptoeing through the corners. (Disclaimer - I have followed several very skilled Corvette and Viper drivers around the track and they are blazingly fast when they know what they're doing. It's the "point and shoot" drivers that don't seem to be having much fun.)

No offense intended against those with over-powered cars and the skill to use them.

Gary

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Remember....it's more fun to drive an under-powered car hard than it is to drive an over-powered car gently!

Concentrate on brakes, suspension and your own driving skills for maximum value and satisfaction.

Gary
Quote is definately true. I have a supercharged yaris, and it is a blast to drive. lmao. :rofl:

YouTube - Supercharged Yaris in TRUE HD.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
I'll tell you what you really want to know since nobody else has. There are 2 big issues that can pop up on Subarus, both can lead to a blown engine.

1. Cracked piston ring land which leads to low compression (i.e. leaking cylinders). This seams to be much more common on 07-09 STIs, although there are documented case(s) of it happening to every model year STI on this site.

2. Cracked oil pickup tube which leads to oil starvation. This happens less frequently than a cracked piston ring land. I'm not sure if there's a case for every model year, but apparently Subaru hasn't changed or improved the oil pickup tube design (which is the cause of the failures) over the years. 06 and 04 STIs seem to have the highest frequency of this type of failure.

EDIT: Try searching both of these problems, you'll get a lot of hits on this site and www.nasioc.com

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
I think the only "random death" thing I can think of for this car is the oil pickup tube issue... but this seems to be extremely uncommon.

As has been said, the gearbox is pretty much bulletproof. The syncros don't die easy, and if they do it's pretty much guaranteed to be due to driver related abuse or lack of maintenance.

One somewhat annoying issue comes with the brakes. Steel bolts in aluminum calipers. Make sure to have a Helicoil kit and a drill handy if you do them yourself, just in case. But this isn't really unique to the STi, the EVO has the same issue.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
One somewhat annoying issue comes with the brakes. Steel bolts in aluminum calipers. Make sure to have a Helicoil kit and a drill handy if you do them yourself, just in case. But this isn't really unique to the STi, the EVO has the same issue.
I just found this out the hard way. Twisted the heads off bottom bolt left and right side. I had a machine shop put helicoils in the bottoms only. Should I have the tops done also?

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Sorry slightly O.T. post.
[probably will get deleted anyway:tdown:]

Hi Gary,your assessments are ''dead on''! ''harnessing the juice'' or ''honing the Power'' is a very interesting subject for this ''pseudo gear head''.

Your opinions are facts that IMO fall in place with the ole ''great driver
in the inferior car will ''pawn'' the inferior driver in the great car theory.

The more you type,the more I will be reading from the upncummr.:)
[OT Post]

Toxic Avenger:

Thanks for the positive reinforcement; I appreciate it.

The points I always try to get across to people are:

1. The STi is a great car with very high capabilities just as it comes from the factory.

2. Often times "upgrade" money could be better spent making sure the car is very well maintained and that wear items such as tires, brakes, etc. are being replaced either will OE parts or with modest upgrades to the OE parts.

3. That the best investment you can make in the performance of your car is an investment in your own skill level behind the wheel. Not only does that pay dividends in your current car, but it will also pay dividends down the road in any other car you own or drive.

4. That in many cases the upgrades that people make to increase the power their cars make, actually decrease the reliability and longevity of their cars. Thus leading to threads like this where people are wondering about the inherent reliability of the STi.

Gary

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
I just found this out the hard way. Twisted the heads off bottom bolt left and right side. I had a machine shop put helicoils in the bottoms only. Should I have the tops done also?
If I had them off and at a machine shop I would have had them do all four just because they were there. It certainly wouldn't hurt anything.

I wouldn't worry if you didn't do the other two. Just make sure to use anti-seize and don't overtorque them. They should be fine for as long as the calipers last.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
If I had them off and at a machine shop I would have had them do all four just because they were there. It certainly wouldn't hurt anything.

I wouldn't worry if you didn't do the other two. Just make sure to use anti-seize and don't overtorque them. They should be fine for as long as the calipers last.
Cool, Thanks. I did just that.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts