IW STi Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
True, that's likely what I'll do. Would just have to find a buyer for my VF58 twin scroll conversion kit if I go that route.

We love the outdoors in California though. Mainly, my wife is a nurse and California pays better than any other state. She makes ~2.5x what she made on the east coast.
Not sure what line of work YOU are in, but I'm in Charlotte, NC, and can't find anything that pays substantially more in IT - especially when considering the cost of living difference. Most of the experience-appropriate jobs I've seen in California (20+ years IT infra engineer with cloud experience) pay substantially less than I make here in NC. It's also right on the border of South Carolina, which has no vehicle inspections of any kind - for better or worse! Just playing devil's advocate. :)

If you did decide to sell your conversion kit, I'm looking for a VF58 setup now (just picked up my 6th STI, a new 2021), and have cash ready to go. I'm not sure how much you've got into it, but I could guess - and definitely isn't a pittance! If you decide not to move forward with it, I'd love to take the project off of your hands, so we can see what this thing can do. :)

For reference, I'm a big OEM+ guy, like you. I have the JDM STI mirrors, which I bought new before I knew they were being discontinued, just finally found the start button with illuminated 'STI' logo, JDM horns, and a number of other little things... Currently deciding whether to go suspension or power first, with all of the S-car chassis stiffening bits in my cart, and deciding which springs and struts to go with - or to just go for the Ohlins R&T.

So, two best-case scenarios - move here, make what you do in Cali with half the cost of living (or less), or sell your stuff to me, fly out once it's done and tuned, and drive the thing! :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Small world! I grew up in the Lake Norman area (outside of Mooresville), went to UNC Chapel Hill & worked at Duke University before moving to Cali. I work in IT too.. my salary is pretty comparable to what I would make in NC (low 6 figures).. but obviously the cost of living is much lower there. However, my wife would go from $90/hr to ~$35/hr as an Cardiac Surgery ICU CCRN.

Honestly, I still haven't decided what I'm going to do. I spent so much time researching the parts required and sourcing them from Japan.. and then there's the actual money I've invested 😂. It took me over a year to just source a VF58, they're nearly impossible to find. I will definitely keep you in mind. If I sell, I want it to go to a good home, someone like you that truly appreciates rare JDM OEM+ parts.

With the OEM VF58 turbo, rebuild & upgrades by ASEL, porting & ceramic coating by SoCal Porting, OEM S208 header & downpipe/frontpipe, misc brackets, coolant hoses, oil lines, nuts/bolts, fittings, etc... I have at least $5k invested. Most Subaru enthusiasts that aren't addicted to OEM parts would consider this is insane and say that you could buy a COBB 20G or Blouch DOM 1.5 XTR for so much cheaper.

For struts/springs, I've been debating on either the S208 Bilstein DampMatic II struts & STI pink springs or the Ohlins. The Ohlins aren't OEM, but they're nearly the same price and will ride/perform better. The only downside to the Ohlins (as with all coilovers) is that they will need to be rebuilt eventually. Both options will offer improved performance and ride quality. I just feel that the Ohlins are the better option in both performance & value. The S-series stiffening bits are definitely a must have!
Hah - yeah, small world! That's definitely a huge difference for your wife! I'm lucky, my wife is also in IT, and makes about the same as me, so there's little to no drive to leave the area, other than disdain for the people here. haha

You and I really are on the same page with all of this. I've debated the same struts and springs, but figured that's one place where it just doesn't make enough sense to go OEM, when considering the cost. It's still a possibility, but definitely leaning towards the Ohlins.

As for your investment - I'm honestly surprised it's that little, of course not knowing how much it cost you to have ASEL and SoCal Porting do all of that work. You couldn't do a low-end EFR setup for that much, if you include a decent header! If I don't end up going JDM TS, I'll probably do the new VF48 High Flow, with a Killerb header. It will probably be a bit before I start picking up parts, so you've got a while to decide - but I'm ready to go if you do decide to sell!

I see this world of modified cars changing VERY rapidly, and I don't like it. Don't get me wrong - I completely understand WHY, and I'm not necessarily opposed (though I'd be less opposed if I felt it would have a genuine impact, vs. other efforts), but it's what I've enjoyed doing for my entire life, so it's going to be really hard for me to move on from it. I can't imagine how much harder it must be for you guys in California right now. I actually decided back in June to order this STI, because I figured it would be the last chance I had to get a proper, raw STI... That, and my wife loved hers, but made the decision to trade it for an X3 M out of necessity, as she's going to need to start doing some light (~3000lbs-ish) towing for her hobbies soon, so she pushed me to get another one.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts