IW STi Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2020 WRX STI, Magnetite grey,
301 Posts
That is a hard one once you commit past just a stage 1, 1+ tune into the depths of more mods/power. That right now is also a big one for me moving to bigger injectors and fuel pump for E85. You can no longer go back to stock tune without the headache of reverting everything back to stock. I wish Subaru had Direct Injected plus port fueled the EJ and most of our fueling issues (up to a certain point) would have been solved. I get the FA solved that, but bummer for the STI.

I did not buy the car expecting a 10 second quarter car with just a tune. Frankly I just wanted a fun car to drive without always spinning the rear tires (aka a10 mustang) on shifts. Unless your deal is competing against other cars/drivers this newest STI with just a tune/map is still pretty fun driver. JMO.

Good luck with your build. I was about to buy your fuel stuff for sale. lol. ;).

·
Registered
301 Posts
California cost of living eats up a lot of that higher pay though. You could get into any of the newer top 1000cc sportbikes for 15-18k if outright speed is your game. Really no need to modify those. I think the STI would get boring on highway non-twistie stuff imo. Need to fit the car to your locale and financial abilities in the end. Anywho, best of luck.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Agreed on the bike. I'm considering getting back into riding as it's been ~10 years or so since my last bike. I sold it before we moved to California. I may just leave the STI stock-ish and buy a bike for some additional fun. I'll start smaller though, it's been too long for me to jump straight on a 1L sport bike :D

I really do enjoy driving the STI and it's great when I get to go on some twisty roads. I'm not into huge power, but prefer something more nimble, responsive and engaging. If I didn't have a need for a backseat right now, I'd probably have went for a ND2 Miata.. or maybe a used Lotus Elise/Exige or S2000. I do miss my S2000, but they've skyrocketed in price along with the Lotus. A CARB-legal supercharged ND2 Miata would be a nice toy.
Nice! Lot’s of options. I did my sportbike gig (4 of them) in my 20’s-30’s. Just recently picked up a restored 400cc two stroke motocross bike to blow my hair back through the neighborhood. Wheelie city. lol. YamahaSHO has a built turbo S2000 he might sell you. ;)

·
Registered
301 Posts
The Cobb SF or Redline intake makes a difference too. I ran stage 1 ots for 1500 miles before switching to their larger velocity stack maf with the stage 1 + ots tune. It definitely spools faster and pulls better up top. fyi

1 - 4 of 4 Posts