IW STi Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
I highly doubt you will be unhappy with this turbo. Yea, it may not be a dyno queen turbo, but thats not what you are after.

The P20 housing i think will be fun to experiment with on a EJ257.

I think you will be limited by fueling. I decided that fueling is one area of my OEM+ build where Im gunna go aftermarket. Spending good money on S209 injectors is a tough call when they aren't that much bigger

·
Registered
203 Posts
Sorry to disappoint! I have all of the parts now, just need to order the wideband O2 for tuning. I plan to do the install in two phases:
1) Install the turbo & tune on stock injectors (will max out IDC).
2) Upgrade injectors & install flex fuel kit for E85.

I plan to do the first round of calibration myself via road tuning. I will rent some dyno time once I upgrade to E85 for torque optimization since I won't be knock limited.

I also plan to do a "lag torture" test with the VF48 & VF58 to measure the lag time to peak boost & torque.
So pumped to see these results. Giorgio has been sending me examples of what he calls their VF58 on steroids haha. Still don't know if a custom VF58 is the same as a true VF58 in the OEM+ game haha.

Anyway, be careful on those stock injectors. My car on Cobb OTS stage 2 91 octane and low waste gate map had injectors at 102%.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have an OEM S208 downpipe for now. I want to do a "stage 1" comparison of the VF48 & VF58 first. I also live in California so it'll be helpful to have the OEM downpipe available.

As for aftermarket twin scroll downpipes, the Moore Power "TruDivorce" downpipe was the best design that I've found. I wish that there was a JDM equivalent COBB GESi downpipe because I really like their cast bellmouth and GESi cat, but I haven't found anything comparable. The other option is to buy an aftermarket single scroll downpipe and use the Kinugawa twin scroll "lost wax" cast bellmouth.

It may become harder to find downpipes (in general) with the recent EPA crackdown.
This is what I plan to do. I love the Cobb Downpipe with Gesi Cat. Having that visual EPA number on the cats may help get through visual inspection one day if needed. I am gunna buy a twin scroll bell mouth head and have it welded onto my Cobb DP. OR, see if I can just get away with cutting the flange off the cobb dp and welding on a TS flange.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Love the attention to detail with your build. I plan to also send mine out to SoCal for the same treatment yours had. Anything to try and hit that 400whp mark....even though I plan to have power capped around 375/375. I worry the amount of torque that low in the RPM range wont play nice with the bottom end bearings.

Also, I saw SoCal offers porting services for the throttle body and the TMIC aluminum Y piece that mounts to the backside. Figured I would send those along to be ported and also have the Y piece coated to help keep the intake temps down.

Have you looked into Speed Density at all? I am on the fence about it. I know the Spec C's had an extra IAT sensor in the intake manifold that I am told helped make their AVCS tuning more agressive. Any insight on this?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Honestly, I still haven't decided what I'm going to do. I spent so much time researching the parts required and sourcing them from Japan.. and then there's the actual money I've invested 😂. It took me over a year to just source a VF58, they're nearly impossible to find. I will definitely keep you in mind. If I sell, I want it to go to a good home, someone like you that truly appreciates rare JDM OEM+ parts.

With the OEM VF58 turbo, rebuild & upgrades by ASEL, porting & ceramic coating by SoCal Porting, OEM S208 header & downpipe/frontpipe, misc brackets, coolant hoses, oil lines, nuts/bolts, fittings, etc... I have at least $5k invested. Most Subaru enthusiasts that aren't addicted to OEM parts would consider this is insane and say that you could buy a COBB 20G or Blouch DOM 1.5 XTR for so much cheaper.

For struts/springs, I've been debating on either the S208 Bilstein DampMatic II struts & STI pink springs or the Ohlins. The Ohlins aren't OEM, but they're nearly the same price and will ride/perform better. The only downside to the Ohlins (as with all coilovers) is that they will need to be rebuilt eventually. Both options will offer improved performance and ride quality. I just feel that the Ohlins are the better option in both performance & value. The S-series stiffening bits are definitely a must have!

Nick, have you thought about the JDM S4 Bilstein Coilovers. They made 250 sets of them, and the ones STi had made were tuned and setup by their factory race team driver. I know where a set is actually. The never tried the DampMatic II, however the S209 setup is good, very good on the street and in the mountains. However, on a track it definitely leaves performance on the table. For a do it all setup that feels like stock, can carve mountains, and be an upgrade on a track it cant be beat.

Also, my search for a 08+ Twin Scroll Header continues thats not a hunk of crap. Its the only thing keeping my swap from being complete. If you do decide to sell your setup....you have a buyer with cash for the manifold.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Nick, you are he VF58 OG for sure! Glad we are going to have 2 EJ257 VF58 Type RA's driving around North America. One on each coast. Interested to see Kyle's results with a 3" aftermarket downpipe vs the Stock S208 Unit I play to initially go with. Happy to say we sourced a Group N inlet, and S209 intake setup as well for his car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.