IW STi Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am any moment (anywhere from a month to a year) from buying a new car. I currently have an 04 WRX, and I am going to get possibly a 06, 07, 08... now that i will prob get ripped for my first paragraph, i will continue.

So my question is this, i plan on somewhat modding my new car. Some engine, interior and exterior. Based on the current models, and looking at data on Cobb's website, it says that the WRX has 202 WHP, and the STi has 238 WHP. This isnt much of a difference, especially when there are 06 WRX's on sale here in UT for 23K. Is it worth it to get the STi? The interior is the same minus the blue decor. The exterior is the same, minus the wings and rims. So the real question is:

Is it worth the extra 10K for an STi when the only real difference seems to be much better suspension, better braking, and 30 horsepower?

I was really set on an STi, but the more i think about it i might just get another WRX and mod it more severly to get it past STi standards and probably save some of the 10K difference.

Any ideas people? I asked here because i know on Nasioc, all the STi wannabes would say do not get it.

·
Registered
894 Posts
not sure if you will have the 10k difference. You do the numbers yourslef w/ what mods you want+the cost of the car (wrx/sti) and if whatever comes out on top then go with that option. if the price isn't far from the sti then I would go w/ the sti. I probably would go with the sti anyways. wrx doesn't have 6spd,the good tranny, etc.....even the sti engine is built better if im not mistaken

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Yes, it's worth it if you have the money.

The price difference will probably be around 7-10K depending on whats available in your area. You get a lot for the extra $$$ such as upgraded suspension, interior, etc. The main differences that make the sti worth while to me are:

More Power/Torque (+70hp/65tq at the flywheel according to Subaru)
6 speed gearbox w/ DCCD
brembo brakes
HID headlights
BBS wheels
bridgestone RE070 tires
front limited slip differential
functional aero parts

It would easily cost you 15-20K extra to purchase the items above (seperately) and put them on on a wrx. Only go with the wrx if these upgrades aren't important to you, or if you can't afford the sti.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Go drive the 06 WRX and the STi back to back. You will know what to get.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have owned an 06 WRX and own an 06 STI, you really cant even compare the two cars, the STI is just so much better on so many levels, from suspension to breaking, etc. I thought i was in love with my WRX, but as soon as i drove an sti, the WRX felt like a toyota.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Get the STI no question. It comes with better brakes, Diffs, aero parts, motor items etc. Its always wise to start with the best and mod accordingly. With a WRX you will have to spend extra $$$ to get it where an STI would already be. No question at all just get the STI- even bone stock there are still more fun to drive than a WRX. Just like others said its better- just ask any WRX owners too and ususally a financial reason is why they dont own one!

·
resigned
5,609 Posts
not to mention that the chassis of the STi is stiffer, and you can get the performance with a warranty, even w/ some well planned upgrades you can still get warranty work done...

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Lets see what you need to add to a WRX to make it an
STI:
Beefed up engined with more torque and HP (compare internals like sodium filled etc etc and you get more than just a boxer flat 4 engine)
Different turbo
brembo brakes as opposed to standard braking system
upgraded advanced performance suspension
advanced abs as opposed to just standard abs
front and back limited slip differential
bbs performance light wheels w bridgestone RE070 tires
performance tranny, stronger than wrx
6 speed as opposed to 5
DCCD
HID
Aero package

did I forget anything?
I am sure I did but you get the big picture.

Like it has been mentioned before, if you have to buy this things separate it would cost you more than 10K alone, not to mention labor... even if you do it yourself. I was in the same dilema but after doinfg the math, it is worth to get the STI if supreme performance is what you seek.

Good luck.

·
Registered
13,608 Posts
Well worth it man, believe it.....

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Totally worth it! If you spend 10K on a WRX to make it an STi, it would be too much of a trouble. Just buy an STi. Get the '08.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I spent $6000 in mods trying to make my 03' Wrx faster / handle better and it still is nowhere near my STI.....

·
Registered
414 Posts
I test drove the STi...loved it and I noticed a big difference from driving the 2006 WRX and the STi. However, I saved 10k by going with the 2006 WRX but I had big plans to gut my car and mod it. After some modding my car is mistaken for an STi a lot, only a few people notice small details that show my car for what it is - a WRX. Like some of the others said it depends on what you have planned for the car.

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
Really, this thread will not do either cars justice. Go drive both of them(wrx first) and see if your willing to spend the extra cash on the STi. The STi will blow you away1

·
Registered
422 Posts
One thing that the STi doesn't have is much sound deading material. If you have ever removed this stuff to lighten a car you know how labor intensive it is. A real PIA. If you don't like the noise Dynamat is easily added, or removed as needed.

6 speed, Brembos, and BBS wheels are the price difference all by themselves...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts