IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive decided to get as light as possible without compromising too much on comfort or budget either (both subjective areas, of course :wink: ).

So far: no A/C
perrin lightweight crank pulley

Considering: lightweight bumper beam
CF rear wing
Wheels

I would love any suggestions and recommendations. Lets get spec C'ish!

·
Registered
382 Posts
well, the wheels are pretty light, so that'll eat your budget up for little gain, a titanium exhaust would probably be good if you can stand the noise as is adds power too

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BTW, if possible, please post approximate weight differences for respective mods.
Also, is there a CF rear wing available with the stock look? (and color)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Re: any one installed a dvd/nav in their sti

How about you just pull the wing? That'd be cheaper and lighter. I'd go for a lighter battery and that should save about 20-25lbs. I think we have side airbags in our seats so lightweight seats would save a ton - maybe 30lbs each. My last car with side airbags in the seats weighed 45lbs and I found 15lb racing seats for cheap $200-300 each. Remove the spare tire and tools ~ 40lbs.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I forgot to mention that the A/C removal and crank pulley install had a very significant effect on handling as the weight that was removed was very near the front end. It turns much quicker now, (nimbler), and is more balanced. I will remove more weight in the front with the lightweight bumper beam next week.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Tip for Forum Users - Cookie for Login

Easiest one is to get rid of the spare/jack/tools.

Carbon Fiber trunk lid would be lighter than just the spoiler... someone on Nasioc mentioned about 25 lbs lighter.

The battery is a good one (if you don't have a stereo... which, guessing from this topic, isn't high on your list of things to do :)). I've heard these are about a 25 lb weight difference.

Titanium catback (do they even make a titanium downpipe?). Saves approximately 20-30 lbs. I've heard the JIC one isn't too obtrusive. Look at spending at least 900 (up to about 1300) for just the catback.

I believe our tires are on the heavy side. Getting a set of Toyo T1s's would save some weight (I've also heard the Pirreli Nero's are light tires). Wheels aren't too big a weight savings... some super light Volks might save 2-3 lbs per wheel but are gonna cost about 2-3k.

Things I have no idea about... seats, carbon fiber hood, steering wheel.

What's the weight difference on an FMIC (probably a bit heavier if anything).

Oh, and there's a 4x6 piece of sound-deadening inside each rear door. Remove the clear plastic and you'll see it. I thought it was pretty hilarious seeing that 1 little piece in there. What were they thinking? [japanese speak] "Hmmm, this car is pretty loud to drive. Let's see if this makes a big difference. Yes! This is soooooo much better." [/japanese speak] :)

Good luck

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Silver/Silver available in South Jersey

honestly, i just dropped it off at the shop and picked it up a couple hours later. but from what Robert says, it is a relatively easy install (not for me :).

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
olappa said:
Ive decided to get as light as possible without compromising too much on comfort or budget either (both subjective areas, of course :wink: ).

So far: no A/C
perrin lightweight crank pulley

Considering: lightweight bumper beam
CF rear wing
Wheels

I would love any suggestions and recommendations. Lets get spec C'ish!
You could loose the side windows and go with Lexan : )

-st

·
Registered
575 Posts
take out the roll down motors for rear windows maybe? and see if you can leave em in a locked up mode. I dont know just figured i'd toss something to the debate :). also take out the drill and drill pointless steel to more swiss cheese :)

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
CF hood, trunk lid, wing, etc, etc, etc..... take out the rear seats completely.

Maybe take out the carpet and trunk liner... probably only like 5 pounds there though.

Smaller gas tank... assuming fuel weighs as much as water, it's 8 pounds per gallon. Not sure about weight savings on the tank itself.....

Depending on how crazy you want to get.... take out the inside covers of the door, get rid of everything in there, get polycarb or lexan windows and mount them in fixed position....

Maybe buy all new body panels and keep them unpainted, lol.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LOL... i think im going to try to keep it as my daily driver, so nothing too extreme (again, subjective here). speaking of lightweight batteries, are there any recommendations and where could I get one?

BTW, yxan, I have considered the electric windows being changed - ironically it will cost MORE to "downgrade" since WRX comes standard with power windows. so instead of trading with some lucky guy with no power, I would have to order some spec C parts (I think. and I hope Im wrong. Ill look into it further.)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Teach me how to drive in reverse

http://www.odysseyfactory.com/

check out these batteries. the pc925 puts out 925 cranking amps for 5 secs. Just get the one with automotive terminals and plug her in. Weighs 25lbs. Stock should be around 40-45lbs. Saves a good 15-20lbs. The pc680 is even lighter but has less cranking amps especially if it's colder.

·
Registered
467 Posts
intercooler cover?!

FYI, I have the lightweight bumper beam. I didn't weigh them, but here's my best estimate. The stock beam is at least 20 lbs, probably 25. The LW beam is maybe...4 lbs! It's very light. I could easily be less than 4 lbs. Net statement: LW beam yeilds at least a 20 lbs weight savings (and required for full sized foglights).

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks STiboy. I just called Japanparts.com (good stuff and good people) and ordered it two days ago. supposed to be here before the 7th. Them, and Rallispec are the only people I could find that would sell the part separately.

GSXR: I spoke to my shop guy and he says that the PC680 (15.4 lbs) should be fine - im real excited and ordering it immediately. that and a trunk relocating kit from jegs.com. thanks. Ill see how things work out in a week. Otherwise, let me know if you (or anyone) thinks the battery is out of spec. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Why the relocation to the trunk? Just for weight distribution? I still need my trunk space, so is there any geometric reason I can't put the PC680 in the same place as the current battery?

·
Registered
316 Posts
ValvetrainEngineer said:
Why the relocation to the trunk? Just for weight distribution? I still need my trunk space, so is there any geometric reason I can't put the PC680 in the same place as the current battery?
I would leave the battery up front. I want more weight on the nose. --Sin52

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
just for better weight distribution myself. no reason it cannot fit in the front, though you may need a different mount (possibly). im going to wait on placing an order until i confirm that its within sufficient specs.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
olappa said:
I spoke to my shop guy and he says that the PC680 (15.4 lbs) should be fine - im real excited and ordering it immediately. that and a trunk relocating kit from jegs.com. thanks. Ill see how things work out in a week. Otherwise, let me know if you (or anyone) thinks the battery is out of spec. Thanks.
Is that sufficient for the STI?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts