IW STi Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally some decent pics with the agunmetal Tarmac II's

For those of you that care, here are some more actual weights from things I have removed from my STi:

Intake scoop and silencer: 3 lbs.

Rear seat, and all seatbelts, brackets, etc. (Basically anything that is steel that you can unbolt, but I did NOT remove the large gray steel bar as it looks to aid in chassis stifness.) : 33 lbs.

And for those of you that missed my earlier post, All A/C components under the hood: 22 lbs.

The rear seat removal has tripled the road noise in the cabin, I am not sure the 30 lbs. is worth the huge decrease in driveability.
I'm gonna try some limited sound dampening on the exposed sheet metal +5 lbs. :( and if it isn't any better I might put everything back.

-Nick

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Can you feel any difference already? Also did you remove all the stuff in the trunk? Tools/Spare/etc? Also if theres a way to put your back seat back in... the seats dont weigh but like 4lbs. Might help insulate the noise some.

Robert~

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
dude dont turn our cars into a dam honda!!!!! just add horsepower under the hood, and dont ruin the interior that is nicer then most cars! :cry: :wink:

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Weight savings can be like a heroin addiction. It starts out pretty cool, but it ends up looking pretty ugly at rock bottom.

Unless you are competing professionally with your STi, I think you will degrade the quality of the package considerably for little gain vs. just handling and power modifications. Sure, removing stuff is a freebie, but when your car ends up as loud and full of exhaust leaking holes as my last car did, you will think twice about doing it again. (But I did knock nearly 400 lbs off of the car! :D )

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Well maybe just save weight using aftermarket stuff? Granted you can kick the A/C and such like that (unneeded extras), but what about clutch (ACT's single carbon plates = 8lbs or something like that and includes flywheel), flywheel, sway bars (cobb's), intake (removing all the huge stock intake pieces), downpipe (titanium), exhaust (titanium), seats (definitely), etc... Im sure you could shed some HUGE pounds without losing anything really important or killing your car or making it a junker.

Robert~

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
I just gained ten pounds from the holidays. My weight reduction will begin with myself and then I can move to the car.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I read the speaker fitamet thread but need some help

There are some good points by everyone in this thread. I agree that drivability can take a huge hit in weight reduction efforts, and it is up to the specific driver/owner to decide what and acceptable compromise is if any. That being said I will probably put the rear seats back in (minus the center seatbelt, and child seat anchors.) This is the acceptable compromise for ME. Some people may be cool taking everything out, and some may not even consider turing a wrench in anger, to each his own.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Anybody know if there is such a thing as a lightweight rear bumper for the STI, and where we can get the front bumper beam for the least amount of $ shipped to 91311 or 90069?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Anybody know if there is such a thing as a lightweight rear bumper for the STI, and where we can get the front bumper beam for the least amount of $ shipped to 91311 or 90069?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I took a pic of my engine bay today. A sharp eye should notice the following:

Lack of A/C compressor and lines
Lack of intake scoop with fender plug
Moved alarm horn to side of right suspension tower for strut bar install
Sweet JDM STi Strut Tower Bar 8)
STi sticker from cool dealer (+5 whp) :lol:

-Nick

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Uber, I agree with the back seat comment - I pulled mine out today while doing the rear strut bar. Tons of noise!! You can clearly hear the fuel pump, gas splashing in the tank, exhaust, and lots of sand hitting the wheel wells. Seat is going back in, not worth the weight savings there. I did the Cusco carbon fiber bar - it weighs somewhere between 2-3 lbs total! We can debate if it really does anything in another thread...

Another quick weight savings is using the Optima battery. Depending on what CCA you choose, could save up to 15 lbs. I've read -

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, I put the rear seats/seatbelts back in this weekend when doing my Scroth harness install and the decrease in noise is very noticable. I guess that is 30 lbs. I can now happily live with.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
? why did you put the seatbelts back in? or did you have to? I would figure most of the weight gain was from the seatbelts as the seats were light as a feather, so maybe you could just leave the seats in for noise dampening and leave the belts and such out?

Robert~

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The seats themsleves weigh about 17 lbs., and the seatbelt hardware weighs about 16 lbs. I didn't put back all the LATCH hardware (for child seats or the middle seatbelt.) I did put back the two side seatbelts becuase I didn't want anyone riding in the back of my car (it may happen on rare occasions) without a seatbelt on.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts