IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hot Rod magazine just did a head to head with the STi and Ford Mustang Cobra. reading is believing!! the STi beats the Cobra in all categories. leaving the editors of one of the countries most popular and respected car magazine split 50/50 between the two when choosing thier favorite. i've been reading Hot Rod for about 6 years and they are just about the only domestic car mag out there that is showing any respect for foreign vehicles. check it out, its on news stands as i write this. let me just say i was shocked when i opened my mailbox and saw an STi on the cover of Hot Rod!!! awesome.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i just read the post about the STi on hot rod TV. the article in the magazine explains it all. worthwhile reading. in the 1/4 mile the STi is only a hair faster but it pulls a 1.8 second 60 foot time. the Cobra only pulls a 2.2 second 60 foot. the Sti does hits the traps at 100mph while the Cobra does it at 110mph. yes the Cobra has a blower and also makes 390 horses. it even has a better power to weight ratio. the differance is THE BEAUTY OF ALL WHEEL DRIVE!!!! the Cobra simply makes too much power to get traction with radial tires. HOT ROD did go on to say that in a street race the STi would most likely win. while they did pick on the big hood scoop and wing, they most definately gave respect where respect is due.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Sounds great. I will have to pick up this issue :lol:

The Cobra SVT was the only other car I was cross-shopping when buying the STi. I know I definitely made the right choice :p . Although I must say most 1/4 mile drag races between the Cobra SVT and the STi will be won by the Cobra, although it is very close. However, the Cobra can't hang with the STi on the track and the STi has 4 doors and can tear through snow covered roads.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the testers in HOT ROD seriously said that in a stop light to stop light street race the STi will most likely win assuming equal drivers. i agree that at the track and a set of drag radials the mustang gains an advantage. it does have a higher trap speed but its 60 foot times are almost a half second slower. i agree that the STI is the better of the two so you don't have to convince me.

·
retired mod
4,012 Posts
i heard them say in the hotrodTV that they could kill the STi with slicks, then they said on the other hand how many cobra IRS's have you seen scattered with slicks bolted on. Ha Ha, they called subarus awd pretty much bullet proof!

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have a 1997 highly modified Cobra - Even though I only drove an STi for 15 minutes, I think it is a better all around pefrormer if both cars are stock.

Build quality is about the same. I would say though that the Cobra engine is impressive (I have the 4.6L N/A version that makes 305hp). V8 32 valves DOHC, aluminum. Even at idle it's a joy to listen to, never mind at >4000rpm!!!!!!!! :D

·
Registered
114 Posts
I disagree about STi winning all street races. Traffic lights yes. If both cars are moving at the same speed and both nail it say at 4,000 rpm, the Cobra will pull away. There is a big difference in the 1/4 trap speed which tells me once the cars get moving (traction no longer an issue) the Cobra is accelerating faster.

To be honest, if you put 275/40/17s 9" 1995 Cobra R rims on the Cobra along with Kumho Victoracers (my exact setup) it will be tough to get much of a jump on it even from a dead stop. Even with these wide tires, my car looks like it can handle 295's in the rear without sticking out at all.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
can someone buy and scan this? i can't be seen buying a "hot rod" mag.
i actually subscribe to HOT ROD. that is the only domestic car magazine that is giving IMPORTS the respect that some of them do deserve. they gave a thumbs up to the standard WRX when it first came out and they do work in tech articles on occasion. they did a big article on an import kicking ass at the Bonneville Salt Flats. plus they had the balls to do a heads up between the Mustang and STI and let the numbers speak for themselves. HOT ROD is definately moving forward with what my be the only Domestic/Import performance magazine. the ball is rolling.....

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
hmm. it will be interesting to see if their readership plummets; at least temporarily. i do like the idea of a domestic/import performance magazine. i know so little about domestic muscle.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Re: STi or S4 Help!!

:roll: man i sure hope we don't act like that when the next best thing come out to challenge us. teddy roosevelt said it best: "speak softly and carry a big stick". in other words, let your machine do the talking. at first, i was pissed at silversti for lighting the fire, but he does explain later on why.

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
I just saw the issue when I went to get an oil change...already read the scan copy so I just skimmed it :)

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
4MLA1FN said:
:roll: man i sure hope we don't act like that when the next best thing come out to challenge us. teddy roosevelt said it best: "speak softly and carry a big stick". in other words, let your machine do the talking. at first, i was pissed at silversti for lighting the fire, but he does explain later on why.

I doubt it. I see a lot more maturity here than I do on any other car forums I've read since I've been here. I think the reason those mustang owners are so mad is because they spent more for a car that's only advantage comes in straight line runs, and they're barely winning at those.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
bitabur said:
I doubt it. I see a lot more maturity here than I do on any other car forums I've read since I've been here.
i agree, but we're still new. we'll be tested next year when hyundia brings out their 350whp awd ferrari-looking tiburon. (okay, i made that up, but you get the point.) :)

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I stopped reading at about the third page where I read this:

"Domestics are the benchmark sports cars for all practical purposes, no denying that. They have been and they always will be."

Obviously this guy has no idea WTF he's talking about. Sure, there are some great domestic cars, but this is the kind of ignorant crap that makes people on most car forums worthless for having any attempt at a conversation.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Yeah, bitabur, I agree. That's what I hate about a lot of the old school guys. They aren't car fans. They are V8 pushrod RWD w $h!t&y handling fans. If everyone thought like they did, we would all be driving Camaros, Mustangs, and Corvettes, and there would be no innovation in cars. I'm not saying those are bad cars, I am saying it would not be much fun if those were our only options. There sure wouldn't be any rally cars, cause none of those cars could rally worth a damn.

I'm a fan of cars. I respect Mustangs and Corvettes. I respect "standard" WRX's. I respect BMW's and Volvo turbos (well, not the one I dusted last night). I respect and/or like a lot of cars. 350Z. Heck, 240Z. Nissan Maxima and Altima. Vipers. EVO's. Supra turbos. Etc, etc, etc. I even like 4x4 pickups and SUV's. What I don't respect is people who are so set in their ways that they can't like any car that can outperform theirs just because it has a 4-banger and AWD and they think it looks silly.

Domestics aren't the benchmark for sports cars for "all practical purposes" (what the heck does that mean anyway) for a lot of people, probably more people now than the number that think they are. People like that don't realize that for many, domestics are largely irrelevant as "benchmarks". We think of them like any other car - how does it measure in acceleration, handling, braking, cornering, looks, reliability, interior, features, technology, etc... but not as benchmarks as a category, just individual cars to be compared and that have their own positives and negatives.

Those aren't car fans they are fans of their own way of thinking. Everyone else must be wrong, regardless of what qualities the cars they like might have that compare favorably.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
bitabur said:
Obviously this guy has no idea WTF he's talking about.
right on the mark! i found that a borderline jingoistic comment. if ever there was a comment worth a :roll: that was it.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
ESPECIALLY the fact that he not only said they have been, but that he said THEY ALWAYS WILL BE.

What kind of fool thinks he can predict the future of the entire auto world based on his SVT.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts